PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Going vegan......old style?!

Options

Comments

• I eat a lot of vegan food and love some of the ideas on this thread.

This recipe for chocolate pudding is great, I got it from this site but can't remember where, so whoever posted it thankyou very much! :beer:

Soya/rice milk works very well in place of dairy milk, and obviously dairy free margerine, I had it this evening with chocolate swedish glace soya ice cream, it's also good with soya cream!

Chocolate fudge Pudding
    First find a cup that holds 8 fl oz of liquid(a US cup measure)

Grease a shallow baking dish - about 9'' by 13''

Sift together
    1 cup plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    cup sugar
    2 tbsp cocoa

add
    ½ cup milk
    2 tbsp melted butter or marge
    1 tsp vanilla extract(optional)

Mix until just smooth,then spoon into the baking dish.

Mix together
    4 tbsp cocoa
    1 cup soft brown sugar(light or dark)

Sprinkle over batter in dish.
    Pour over all 1 ½ cups of just-boiled water - DO NOT STIR

Bake for 40 mins at 180c

• suep
    suep Posts: 782 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2009 at 8:01PM
    Options
    Glad to see this thread up and running again. I made a gorgeous chocolate cake from this site today, it's the nicest I've ever had www.parsleysoup.co.uk Im going to try out some of the other recipes.
    I have seen a couple of recipes for vegan xmas cake, but they all say not to make it early like you would with a normal' one, I'll have a look round and see if I can find them again.
    Hope everyones ok

This ones got a xmas pudding recipe too http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/puddings.htm and the parsley soup site has a whole section of xmas recipes, I'll probably stick to that as everythink I've treid from theres turned out yummy
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.
    Terry Pratchett ( Hogfather)
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    suep wrote: »
    Glad to see this thread up and running again. I made a gorgeous chocolate cake from this site today, it's the nicest I've ever had www.parsleysoup.co.uk Im going to try out some of the other recipes.
    I have seen a couple of recipes for vegan xmas cake, but they all say not to make it early like you would with a normal' one, I'll have a look round and see if I can find them again.
    Hope everyones ok

This ones got a xmas pudding recipe too http://www.veganvillage.co.uk/recipes/puddings.htm and the parsley soup site has a whole section of xmas recipes, I'll probably stick to that as everythink I've treid from theres turned out yummy

The Parsleysoup website is brilliant - have you tried her sticky toffee pudding? To. Die. For.!!!

I would have thought that if you fed a vegan Christmas cake with booze it would be ok - that's what keeps a non-vegan one going. I've not made a Christsmas cake for years because my children don't like dried fruit :confused: and I love it so much that when I buy a bag it never quite makes it into the cooking :rotfl:

Oh, by the way, I did try the parsleysoup gingerbread men once and wouldn't bother again. There was no way that recipe was going to work!:rotfl:
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Zahava wrote: »
    Thanks justamum for the yorkie pud recipe, I love them but haven't tried to make them since being vegan, do you think there would be any way to make them rise? maybe using noegg or yeast or something?

There is a recipe earlier on in this thread for a yorkie recipe with No Egg in it - I just discovered it in my voluminous recipe file the other day! (I really must go through that file soon). Unfortunately I can't get hold of No Egg any more:confused: The baking powder in the self raising flour helps them rise anyway.

Can anybody get hold of Vegegel these days? I haven't seen it for ages, and it would be so handy to have in.
  • kim_ley
    kim_ley Posts: 1,538 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone...
    Just thought i'd pop in as i've not done for a while some of you might remember I wasn't very well so i've been away a while but i'm now on the mend.
    Had a bit of a read back and can see some yummy recipes I feel a cooking spurt coming on.
    K x
    I'm an MSE SLACKER!!!! Slap my bum.

Been a long time but i'm back.
    :o
  • kacie
    kacie Posts: 901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    hi, just went to sainsbury and they've got firm silken tofu for 30p, not sure if this is everywhere or just mine.
  • twinkle_star_2
    Options
    Hello all,

Good to see this thread alive and kicking once more. I'm still here and still vegan (and frickin' proud of it). I shall have to do a bit of maintenance to get all the yummy new recipes onto the master list soonish.

I've been very un-MSE recently and I definitely need to get back on the wagon. My grocery budget is far too large and I've slipped into the habit of having the same things over and over again. I'm going to do a stock-check of my store cupboards and try and use some things up before starting afresh with a more acceptable grocery budget.

I know I've got some random ingredients in there (wheat berries, two types of seaweed and a dubious looking packet claiming to miso paste) so I may need some helpful ideas for using up the odder items. :rotfl:

I guess it'll be the store-cupboard challenge vegan edition!:T
  • VeganClaire
    Options
    Glad to see I'm not the only person who doesn't like the pure un-cheese spread, thought I might have just been being fussy! The uncheese cake is a great idea think I will try it tommorow. :)
  • Joyful25
    Joyful25 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Hey guys,

Good to see people on here Kim L glad to hear you're getting better and twinkle_star just keep the faith; I am trying to cook from scratch more this coming fortnight or so as MoT stung me this month (it was overdue, I didn't know, but Mr Police man did, hence the unscheduled ££ for MoT and fine :o).

Have just jotted down the choc fudge cake and savoury tofu recipes -dropping off OH out to drinks, dropping in on Sains and should come back armed with ingredients!

Not a great deal of vegan MSE news down in Essex I'm afraid.

We have a Vegan Event in Brentwood on Nov 1 (to coincide with World Vegan Dai I think). I went to one a few years ago with My Vegan Friend but did feel a little like an imposter back then - now I can hold my head up high a bit more.

In laws came round Sunday - made a vege lasagne (went a bit bananas with the Cheesely but it went down well), and Sains Basics apple pie with Alpro cream (no custard in the shop!!! :eek:). Thankfully in-laws eat really healthily and are used to veggie meals. I was going to make a strawberry cheesecake but strawberries a bit pricey at mo.

Oooh, gotta go, didn't realise time! Have a great vegan weekend :wave:
    :D
  • IamJen
    IamJen Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    Hey. How did I miss this thread before? Vegan in Oxfordshire here. I'll dig out some recipes to post later, but just wanted to say hiya! Also, World Vegan Day is November 1st!
    Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. - Jonathan Kozol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport