Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2008 Grocery Challenge - Page 130

New Post Advanced Search

July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 304.4K views
1127128130132133308

Replies

  • LeopardladyLeopardlady Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Hi all,
    Couldn't get to the computer yesterday as had to rest my knees.
    Oh well kept me to a NSD :)
    Not sure how well i will do today as i may go out with a friend for a little shop!
    Oh well, doing very well, although i think i am secretly hoping to do this month for £100 not £200. It will all be ruined as on the 31st we have been invited out for a meal with friends to celebrate a promotion in the army.
    Well the weather is a little sad here, but the garden is just going crazy, so i suppose it is all good.
    I find it really strange i have not been into a supermarket for over 3 weeks! Not great when hoping to get those bargains! May have to rectify this this weekend.

    Well Chili is resting, started it last night and will serve tonight, should be a bit better having rested over night?

    Have a great day everyone
    Bye for now
    :)
    Leopardlady
    Got married on the 26th April 08!!!!!!!:j:T

    Bumpy Bean was due 20th Nov 2010, born 15th Nov :j:j:T
  • HerbaholicHerbaholic Forumite
    304 posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Glad my post made some people smile, nice to give something back to everyone :) Okay DeniseF heres the recipe but if you or anyone else put on any weight it isn't my fault, blame whoever started posting muffin recipes lol! I originally saw the recipe on the link below for toffee apple muffins in the Asda magazine last November and they went down a storm at a bonfire party we went to
    http://www.asda-recipes.co.uk/recipe/330.html [Point to note - all the recipes that feature in the asda magazine end up on their recipe website, so you don't have to keep the magazines unless you really want to!]

    Back to the recipe... I found their recipe a little too sweet on account of the apple sauce so I modified the recipe and added some cinnamon and fresh apples instead, I'm an autumn fiend and love the appley cinnayummy cinnamon combination in just about everything :D (use whatever apples are sweet, firm and juicy from the dessert apples available at the time of year)

    Toffee Apple Muffins (Makes 12)

    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    80g/2¾oz caster sugar
    240ml/8½fl oz milk
    100g/3½oz butter or margarine melted
    300g/10½oz plain flour
    2 tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp salt
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    2 dessert apples, peeled, cored, finely chopped
    200g/7oz shop-bought fudge pieces (you can use homemade fudge if you know how to make it!)

    Method

    1. Preheat your oven to 190C/380F/Gas 5 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
    2. Mix the eggs, sugar, milk and melted butter in a large bowl. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into the bowl. Stir well to combine.
    3. Add the chopped apple and lightly mix.
    4. Using half of the mixture, quarter-fill each of the muffin cases with the mixture and top with a few pieces of toffee. Cover with the remaining filling so the cases are half full.
    5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

    WARNING - If you’re going to eat them straight from the oven be warned the hot fudge can burn your tongue and lips and you talk like a do-lally person for a while lol!

    I've made these with some crystallised ginger thrown in and also substituted banana for the apple to make toffee & banana muffins (although you'll need a little more flour as the nana's can make it a bit sloppy!). I confess to buying a good quality fudge for the muffins, have tried with cheap stuff and its not so good, but its all down to personal taste. You can also make mini muffins in cake cases and you'll get about 24 smaller kiddy sized muffins out of the mix. Haven't tried freezing the toffee apple muffins though, never get chance they're scoffed before the freezer gets a look in, so don't know how well the fudge freezes? Seems daft looking at autumn recipes now but they do taste yummy and we do keep having bouts of very dodgy autumn like weather this month (well that's my excuse lol!)

    Herby
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ;); Jun 21/14 :T; May : 6/6 :D
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 :cool:; Jun £278.86/£275.00 :mad:; May £276.13/£280.00 :T
  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    After reading Angelnikki's post yesterday about people taking all the supercook stuff (all that's left in my Asda are almond essence and paper cake cases and I have enough of those already as sister got a catering pack from someone she knows). I thought I'd share the love with other MSE'rs that happened along, so I didn't load all the meat into my basket (DH cried when I only took one pack of fillet steak lol!), I just took one of each, but the next woman that came along swept all that was left into her trolley and said to her partner "We may use it all before it gets freezer burn and we have to throw it out, but at this price what does it matter?" :mad: She didn't even look at what it was she was loading into her trolley, just the price! Her partner said but we don't eat pork, but she shoved it in her trolley anyway :confused: I walked away thinking that she couldn't have been a fellow MSEr, she'd have had a meal plan and ideas to use all she had already if she was and wouldn't consider throwing such bargains away lol!



    This is why if i see a bargain i take all i need, there aint nobody else gonna look after my families needs, are there! Sad i know, but we do what we have to don't we.

    Jackie x
  • Mrs._IrwinMrs._Irwin Forumite
    161 posts
    Hello everyone!

    Well, I've updated my signature. £143.73 spent so far! I'm feeling pretty confident, and some baby-related breakthroughs will have a positive effect on the Grocery Challenge from now.
    Firstly, I've cut out caffeine :eek: and LO seems to be calmer and sleepier :T , which means happier baby and mummy, more sleep and more time to do cooking and baking, AND a lot less spent on Pepsi Max and coffee! :j
    Secondly, I'd decided that disposable nappies and wipes will come out of the GC budget, and was such a waste when the washables were sitting there, but we have now phased out the disposable nappies completely, and the last pack of wipes will soon be gone!
    I'd already bought a stack of super cheap flannels from Wilko's which I've been using at home, and have now bought the ingredients for home-made bum-wipe solution - chamomile tea bags, almond oil, lavender oil and a spray bottle. The idea is to make the tea and add a drop or two of the oils and stick it in the spray bottle in the morning, and then use it through the day to spray on a flannel. This can then easily be carried in the change bag, so no need to hunt out a tap when out and about. When I've been using this for a while I will work out what the cost is.

    Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

    Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • morning all,
    just popping in for a quick update. Everything going ok, month seems on plan but dont want to speak too soon. Not many offers in my local shops at the moment but cheap loo rolls!! home bargins have nouvelle 12 packs for £2.49 and their own luxury brand 18 rolls for £2.99 so thats the bathroom stocked up for weeks. no woopsies to be had mr m really not reducing around here saw a crushed box of bold washing tablets and i mean crushed with just a 10p reduction in price!! mean or what !! who they kidding. any way off to catch up on the last 15 pages, love the recipes keep em coming. Hello to all the newbies, off to prowl round Aldi later on. keep up the good work all. sig updated.
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    JacKk wrote: »


    This is why if i see a bargain i take all i need, there aint nobody else gonna look after my families needs, are there! Sad i know, but we do what we have to don't we.

    Jackie x
    I wouldn't have a problem with that, buying a little and using it is fine, buying a reasonable amount and using it is fine, buying it just cos its there and then chucking it is waste really. It is good for supermarkets when we buy the whoopsies, otherwise they have to record it as store waste and they have all sorts of targets for that! From what herby said there was lady buying stuff they don't even like- that is silly billy in my eyes :o .
    Wonder when our new Tesco will start having whoopsies as there is generally a distinct lack of them up here :mad:
    Oh dear baby eating dad's CD's :rolleyes:
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Herbaholic wrote: »
    Glad my post made some people smile, nice to give something back to everyone :) Okay DeniseF heres the recipe but if you or anyone else put on any weight it isn't my fault, blame whoever started posting muffin recipes lol! Herby

    It definitely made me smile - and these sound yummy!

    Autumn is my favorite time of the year, still warm but breezy and colourful and I love it - aren't trees just beautiful when they change?
    I might make the smaller ones just because I can see me putting on pounds if I don't - plus they MIGHT last a bit longer...:confused:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Mrs._Irwin wrote: »
    Hello everyone!

    Well, I've updated my signature. £143.73 spent so far! I'm feeling pretty confident, and some baby-related breakthroughs will have a positive effect on the Grocery Challenge from now.
    Firstly, I've cut out caffeine :eek: and LO seems to be calmer and sleepier :T , which means happier baby and mummy, more sleep and more time to do cooking and baking, AND a lot less spent on Pepsi Max and coffee! :j
    Secondly, I'd decided that disposable nappies and wipes will come out of the GC budget, and was such a waste when the washables were sitting there, but we have now phased out the disposable nappies completely, and the last pack of wipes will soon be gone!
    I'd already bought a stack of super cheap flannels from Wilko's which I've been using at home, and have now bought the ingredients for home-made bum-wipe solution - chamomile tea bags, almond oil, lavender oil and a spray bottle. The idea is to make the tea and add a drop or two of the oils and stick it in the spray bottle in the morning, and then use it through the day to spray on a flannel. This can then easily be carried in the change bag, so no need to hunt out a tap when out and about. When I've been using this for a while I will work out what the cost is.

    Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    Washables are great, but disposables are handy as a back up when things go a bit pear shaped (and that never happens with a LO around lol). I have reusable wipes that I do use sometimes, and I use water/a few drops olive oil/a few drops baby wash and that works wonders for a lovely soft bum bum. Well done on the caffeine front-I try not to drink much and never very much when exclusively bf- DS is generally a calm contented DS, although he is teething right now :o:confused: :eek:
    x
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • nessquic80nessquic80 Forumite
    328 posts
    Morning all,well the NSD are going out the window,oh had one yesterday, did a bit of a shop on monday and did one today( only bits and bobs) but its them bits and bobs that add up!!Kept reminding the DH that the nana cake needs eating now ive made it, then he tells me he dont like it:mad: , so in the freezer it went for my pudding for work, then he tells me after i made his corned beef and pickle sws he dosent like them:mad: so in the freezer for my tea at work in the week! i thought he was gonna tell me that he didnt like chicken casserole while we were sitting at the table dishing it out but guess what??? he liked it! I hate wasting food and i dont think he gets it at all!!!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 posts
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    I wouldn't have a problem with that, buying a little and using it is fine, buying a reasonable amount and using it is fine, buying it just cos its there and then chucking it is waste really. It is good for supermarkets when we buy the whoopsies, otherwise they have to record it as store waste and they have all sorts of targets for that! From what herby said there was lady buying stuff they don't even like- that is silly billy in my eyes :o .
    Wonder when our new Tesco will start having whoopsies as there is generally a distinct lack of them up here :mad:
    Oh dear baby eating dad's CD's :rolleyes:


    Totaly agree with you, i live with a pack of waste disposal units :D , but even on the very rare time there is some leftovers, i also own 2 great danes and they definately make short work of anything thrown in their direction :rolleyes: :D , we just don't do food waste, ever! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

    Jackie x
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support