Poor circulation and feeling cold

Options
I've always had poor circulation and really feel the cold. Once I get cold, I struggle to get warm again. I've been checked out by the GP and there is nothing medically wrong with me. The GP said feeling cold was "just one of those things."

A couple of months ago, my son was selected to play football for a local boys team. This means that every Saturday morning, I spend 3 hours standing in an open field which is close to the coast and the icy North Sea wind!

I wear many thin layers of clothing as I know this keeps you warmer and I wear a storm proof hiking coat which does keep the wind chill and wet out. I normally buy a hot drink and bacon buttie from the van half way through too.

By the end of the football I feel numb with the cold, and feel cold for ages afterwards. This afternoon we all watched the England game on TV. The heating was on and the rest of the family were in t-shirts. I still had my jumper layers on from this morning, and I was freezing!

Can anyone suggest anything I can do to improve my circulation and to stop feeling the cold so much? I'm not looking for medical advice as I know there's nothing medically wrong - just general advice on keeping warm.

It's going to get worse in the winter season as the North Sea wind is very icy, so any tips would be very much appreciated.
Here I go again on my own....

Comments

• FirstClassMale
    Options
    Sounds like Raynodes (sorry probably badly spelt) disease to me. Don't worry, I suffer from it, my sister was diagnosed with it so I have self diagnosed. It's not a big deal. It makes your fingers go numb when you're exposed to the cold. It is otherwise known as "white finger" and miners and users of pneumatic drills often suffer due to the vibratons. You say you have been covering up which is good, try choclolate, eat as much as you can until you get the "sugar rush" it is not a fool proof solution but can help.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    The following links are provided solely for interest. I haven't spent sufficient time reading their contents to be able to comment.
    Our Tips For Better Circulation
    Our Tips For Better Circulation - Part Two
    [font=Arial,Helvetica,Univers,Zurich BT,sans-serif][size=-1][/size][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+1]Cayenne pepper for improved blood flow[/size][/font][font=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif][size=+1]
    [/size][/font]Do you have cold hands and feet?

Fish-oil dietary supplementation in patients with Raynaud's phenomenon: a double-blind, controlled, prospective study.
    This study used
    3.96g EPA and 2.64g DHA which is a really mega dose 6.5g of fish oil. Zipvit's omega juice provide 900mg EPA and 600mg DHA total 1.5g omega so you would have to take 4 teaspoons of get near that amount. Not a pleasant prospect. But as we know omega tends to thin the blood it makes sense that it would flow better to the extremities so using the standard recommended dose level for a month to start with would be an idea.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • lovinlife_2
    Options
    I have a similar problem, only never been to the doctor with it. I find that drinking lemon and ginger herbal tea helps. I try and always wear thick gloves and socks, and make sure of a hat and scarf if it is cold out. I've been known to put on gloves in the office when the air con gets a little too enthusiastic!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Handwarmers which you click to activate are quite good, but won't help your feet! This one's from Hawkin, you may get them cheaper elsewhere but the description here is useful.

Fluffy socks and fur-lined boots might help your feet, and keep them moving!

Try not to let feet and hands get cold in the first place although I recognise that's a counsel of perfection ... I use those wheat bag things a lot, not yet allowed the heating on so I have one of them round my neck and another on my lap when watching TV.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Should also have pointed out that exercise improves circulation so walking about rather than standing still will improve blood circulation. Generally improving your physical fitness by regular exercise and regular walking is also going to be beneficial.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    plastic bags inside your boots keep the foot warm or ski type boots you see the market traders wearing, many gloves on sale now with a keep warm logo battery operation lasts about 4 hours i find.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I sympathise as I feel the cold as well. The other day I saw adveritised in one of those catalogues that come thro your door a waistcoat type affair with battery operated hot bits in it. Sounded fab to me. Or you can get hand-warmer thingies from Millets, as mentioned by another poster. My son uses them at Scout camp.

Savvy Sue, why arent you allowed the heating on yet?????!!!:eek:

Ellie
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    When you're watching the football try standing on a flattened out cardboard box...it really does stop the cold penetrating upwards into your feet. Used to do it in the 70s watching ex OH play football week after week. Wearing a hat is essential too though of course I'm sure you do that.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Ellie2758 wrote:
    Savvy Sue, why arent you allowed the heating on yet?????!!!:eek:

Ellie
    Surely you haven't got the heating on yet. Far too early. Put another jumper on, get out your vests and longjohns first. icon12.gif
  • vizcacha
    vizcacha Posts: 362 Forumite
    Options
    Becles I do sympathise, my hands and feet get FREEZING and I feel the cold, too. My nose has the same problem too EVEN indoors! and my lips go purple which freaks people out no end !

For outdoors it's really worth investing in thermal gloves if possible (I'm looking for some good ones at the moment as when I've had them before they have helped a lot) and wearing LOTS of long layers and a thermal vest .(there are some quite nice ones now and damart have them for under a tenner)and thermal tights under your jeans if necessary. and really snuggly socks. also a woolly hat helps me too. Always make sure your neck is covered too, in fact anywhere the draft might get in. Cold wind is my least favourite weather!

Is it possible for you to have a bit of a walk round every 1/2 an hour or so when you're watching your son ? coz I find staying in one place for too long makes it worse for me. Also if you can take a hot drink with you in a flask and a starchy snack that always helps me.

When I'm indoors, eg watching telly I fill 2 hot water bottles, one for my hands and one for my feet. They both have fleece covers. I wear bedsocks and warm my feet on one hot water bottle and my hands on the other. Make sure you have decent covers tho' so you're protected but they're not too thick to stop the heat getting through. Also I put a blanket over me.

hope some of this helps. I think there are loads of us around who feel the cold...my dream is to go and live somewhere warm someday as I find our winters soooo long ...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure