Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents - Page 42

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Married Quarters (MQ) Residents

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
421 replies 86.7K views

Replies

• davilowndavilown Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Archer0710 wrote: »
    Further to this DE - despite a written request and my husband going in person to see their rep are refusing to tell us the age of our carpets.

We have them coming Tuesday to "make safe" the carpets which was what supposedly should have been done before (and to which the Modern Guy laughed and said "What on earth do they think I can do with these") and they are saying we need to take it up with Brampton.

Is this the case can someone please advise me where to take this from here. I understand that 10 years is a guide, however my carpets are well and truly ;)....past their best and not held down by anything!
    Quite simply write an e-mail to the complaints email address on the DHE website. (I think its a reply within 14 working days.)

If that doesn't work, complain again to the same person. Explain that the carpets are now becoming dangerous and, should an accident occur, that you would potentially hold DHE responsible.

Be nice, don't shout, swear or lose your temper as this will get you no-where. The people on the end of the email tend to be the DHE area managers, or close to them and these are the people who can authorise additional repairs.

Reference carpet life, I've had two sets replaced over the last 3 years and they were over 7 years.

Out of interest, is this an army MQ and is your hubbie a Private, JNCO, SNCO or Officer? Silly nowadays but this still makes a massive difference.
    Back in Debt £204,000 on a £230,900 mortgage) Overpayment £37 pm - Aim to be Mortgage free by 2034
    Building extension loan £20,105 of £30,000 left to pay
  • Archer0710Archer0710 Forumite
    239 posts
    Hi

It's an Army Mq and DH is a jnco.

We initially raised the complaint with the HO to be fobbed off, her manager quoted facts and figures at my husband but wouldn't answer the question in any form. MHS are coming Tuesday to make safe the carpets and also a "compliance officer" apparently??

We keep getting told "if we had children they may be able to help" (over everything tbh including a broken shower). It's very frustrating when people we know have had carpets changed that are better than ours but when we raise it get told it's because they have kids.
    Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
    Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
    Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
    Emergency Fund £1500 :T
  • Archer0710 wrote: »
    Hi

It's an Army Mq and DH is a jnco.

We initially raised the complaint with the HO to be fobbed off, her manager quoted facts and figures at my husband but wouldn't answer the question in any form. MHS are coming Tuesday to make safe the carpets and also a "compliance officer" apparently??

We keep getting told "if we had children they may be able to help" (over everything tbh including a broken shower). It's very frustrating when people we know have had carpets changed that are better than ours but when we raise it get told it's because they have kids.

My advice is get your hubby to get hold of the JSP that relates to quarters. DHE and everyone involved with them will argue black is white and white is black they will also tell you, that they dont have to do what the JSP says. They do. If they still dont do anything tell hubby to get his !!! to his CO, via admin, welfare and padre and kick off a big stink. Dont sitback and take it keep forcing the issue as its the only way you will get it sorted we have had this issue with a gas leak in the house, which was due to faulty work carried out when our kitchen was refitted. It took the best part of 6 mths to get it sorted.
  • This is the paragraph that covers carpets in the jsp:

0714. Replacement and cleaning at public expense.

a. Carpets. Carpets will normally be cleaned every 3 years for lounge/dining
    rooms and hall/stairs and every 5 years for bedrooms. Should the need arise to
    clean the carpets before the agreed date, the cost must be borne by the licensee.
    Similarly, should the carpet need replacing before its scheduled expiry date
    (normally 10 years) the cost appropriate to the age of the carpet will also be born by
    the licensee.

So after 10 years you have justification for replacement whether the DIO housing officer thinks they're ready for replacement or not.

If you know your carpets are over 10 years of age you could just destroy/rip/paint your carpets leaving DIO with no choice but to accept that they must be replaced. You would be billed the appropriate price for the age of the carpets (100% new, dropping 10% per year until 10 years where value is 0).

It is an extreme measure to take but soldiers are being pushed into taking such action just to get what they are entitled to, remember you do pay rent and this rent partly pays for curtain cleaning, carpet cleaning, external decoration, internal decoration and new carpets.

I'm sure that you've all noticed that DIO follow the rules when it costs you money but doesn't when it costs DIO money.

DIO is the new name for DE, which was the new name for DHE - all the same organisation that provides army housing.
  • dbt3mummydbt3mummy Forumite
    199 posts
    EmmEve wrote: »
    Ring MHS. They should deal with this. You aren't allowed to touch the trees yourself. They all have their own identifying plaques too:rotfl:

Really? In our last property we had one extremely close to the house which would really badly sway in strong winds and being in a bungalow would of come straight through the roof into our bedroom. MHS refused point blank and said trees were not their responsibility.

So DH took to it with a chainsaw and rope, and I found it across the garden after a shopping trip!

And there are no identifying plagues on any of the trees in any of the numerous quarters we have been in!
    Cabot (0%) left to pay £2455 let the overpayments commence! :D
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Trees are definitely MHS's problem.
  • EmmEveEmmEve Forumite
    260 posts
    Yeah MHS like to get out of anything remotely possible! Half the helpdesk staff don't even know what's classed as an emergency let alone anything else. Lets not forget the computer says nooooo to almost everything (when the system is working anyway!).

Tree pruning is MHS's responsibility. They probably won't touch a tree during nesting season and you'll probably have to fight with them over it.

From the MHS website:
    16) Who is responsible for maintaining gardens?
    The occupant is responsible for cutting the grass in the garden whilst MHS or the Regional Prime contractor maintains and cuts the grass of communal areas, and is responsible for the maintenance of all trees and large hedges (over 1.8m) on the estate (whether they are in gardens or not). Maintaining hedges to 1.8m is the occupant's responsibility. Occupants are asked to report such works to the Helpdesk.
  • polar182polar182 Forumite
    12 posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi all,

My patch has a real parking problem, some idiots have decided to start driving Royal Naval vehicles home and parking them up making a problem with parking.

Good to see the tax payer is paying for them to travel home every night

Does anyone know regulations....
  • Fergie76Fergie76 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    polar182 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My patch has a real parking problem, some idiots have decided to start driving Royal Naval vehicles home and parking them up making a problem with parking.

Good to see the tax payer is paying for them to travel home every night

Does anyone know regulations....

Service vehicles should only be used for Service purposes. I would not class daily travel to and from work as a Service purpose.

Parking is a nightmare on my estate too, but not as bad as it used to be.

Where do you live?
  • polar182polar182 Forumite
    12 posts
    Ninth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Gosport near HMS Sultan
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support