We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Help! Dead rats in the garden!

Options
1235»

Comments

• choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To put poison down is dangerous as anyone's pet can eat it also something may eat the poisoned animal so it needs care.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,302 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 28 December 2010 at 4:00PM
    Options
    choille wrote: »
    To put poison down is dangerous as anyone's pet can eat it also something may eat the poisoned animal so it needs care.

The poison instructions do state to place under cover / place in drain pipe etc to avoid pets eating it

Not sure about pets eating poisoned rodent, from my limited experience I have never found a dead poisened rodent, I suspect they crawl away to die in some hole or other, not just drop dead on the spot

Having said that if next door's cat ate a one of my dead rats instead of pooing on my lawn I do not think I would be too worried about the outcome

PS before anyone goes ballistic, I'm not advocating poisoning cats
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A poisoned rat will look for water - the nature of the poison - it dehydrates them, that's why I wondered if it had been poisoned.

Cats are less likely to eat something dead than a fox, dog & some birds that scavenge. But eating poisoned creatures is a problem - obviously.
  • Ziggymole
    Options
    As a rural cat owner with plenty of experience of rats, I think I can reassure everyone that cats are VERY picky about what kills they eat.

Generally speaking a domestic cat will catch anything that moves, but they never eat another carnivorous animal, so we find the entrails of small furry critters but the bodies of rats, stoats and weasels, for some reason they don't eat moles or reptiles either.

Ziggy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport