Home Insurance Discussion

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    richmanu7 wrote: »
    It was suggested to me that we can claim as a retrospective claim, ie after the event, would this be on the bldgs ins. or would it be a claim against the owner of the flat above.
    all help and guidance much appreciated, thanks.
    The owner above has no responsibility unless you can prove their negligence.

So if your insurer already rejected your claim you have no-one to claim against. (Assuming you cannot prove any negligence)

But having informed your insurer you now have a loss recorded against your record you now need to disclose this to future insurers you go to for quotes when asked about any losses experienced (over the last 3/5 years) when giving your claims/losses history.
  • Exeter63
    Options
    Am I in the correct post? Earlier this week, I received my contents policy renewal from Lloyds Bank Insurance, this year they want £196 as compared to last years £116. I have seen exactly the same insurance on their website for £58. Do loyal customers get overcharged and non-regulars get it cheaper, I am now looking for an alternate insurance provider, might also close my Lloyds bank account as well.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,277 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Exeter63 wrote: »
    Am I in the correct post? Earlier this week, I received my contents policy renewal from Lloyds Bank Insurance, this year they want £196 as compared to last years £116. I have seen exactly the same insurance on their website for £58. Do loyal customers get overcharged and non-regulars get it cheaper, I am now looking for an alternate insurance provider, might also close my Lloyds bank account as well.

Do loyal customers get overcharged and non-regulars get it cheaper?

Simple answer - yes, all the time. New customers get the deals, existing customers get ripped off.

Equally simple solution - phone Lloyds, tell them what you've found, and negotiate it down. You probably won't get the £58 (that does sound remarkably low) but they will probably offer you the £116. If they don't, leave. I go through this charade with the Halifax (part of Lloyds) every year, and every year they create a special 'discount' to reduce the premium.

Bear in mind, though, that if you do leave you'll have to complete another application, and there may be specific questions that could concern you - proximity of trees, watercourses etc for example.
  • asklowey
    Options
    My Home and Contents renewal came through this morning from a major supermarket with one of their 'premier' policies. So I laughed at a 31% increase in premium for same cover and no claims. Went on their website as a new customer and plugged in all the same details and got a reasonable quote - same as the other supermarket and most of the comparison boys. So looks like loyalty does not pay and you have to become a 'new customer' every year. Saving from the quote was £239.
    NEVER EVER EVER EVER AUTO RENEW
  • shygirltina
    Options
    This year I was resigned to paying £80 for combined b&c and claiming the £60 marks and sparks voucher as shown at the end of your tips.
    Luckily I then saw that TCB were giving £94.50 on British Gas policies.
    I went to the site via the cashback and saw that British Gas were also offering 20% off and free contents. I put my details in and they offered an axa policy with monthly payments totaling £66.
    This means that they are paying me £28.50 for taking out their insurance.
    I have tried hard for many years to get a credit policy and am sooo excited that I have finally managed it.
  • jamesright
    Options
    In my opinion getting any kind of insurance is not easy. I personally thing Insurance companies are committing a white collar crime with the backing of Govt/Legislation, when it comes to claims. I would suggest to check terms and conditions and specifically "exclusion clauses" or/and any Unfair contract terms. Also try to read Unfair contract terms Act 1977 on legislation . gov website. It will help you to understand plenty of things
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jamesright wrote: »
    In my opinion getting any kind of insurance is not easy. I personally thing Insurance companies are committing a white collar crime with the backing of Govt/Legislation, when it comes to claims. I would suggest to check terms and conditions and specifically "exclusion clauses" or/and any Unfair contract terms. Also try to read Unfair contract terms Act 1977 on legislation . gov website. It will help you to understand plenty of things

Unfair Contract Regulations do not apply to Insurance
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am just chewing over my auto renew figures but having read some of the comments on here i dont think i have anything to worry about.

I only live in a smallish 2 bed home. The renewal is £131 and last year i paid £128. That covers

full rebuild cost ( no need to calculate separately)

Contents with accidental cover unlimited i.e no stated amount.

high risk items 5k
    limit for individual high risk items 1.5k
    legal expenses cover upto 50k#

Excess for both buildings and contents is £150 each.

I think the core cover required is to make sure you are covered for total loss of your home and its contents i.e by fire etc.

I have never claimed and i think for incidental issues,sometimes its best not to especially when taking the excess into consideration.

There isnt even a premium charged for monthly payments
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am just chewing over my auto renew figures but having read some of the comments on here i dont think i have anything to worry about.

I only live in a smallish 2 bed home. The renewal is £131 and last year i paid £128. That covers

full rebuild cost ( no need to calculate separately)

Contents with accidental cover unlimited i.e no stated amount.

high risk items 5k
    limit for individual high risk items 1.5k
    legal expenses cover upto 50k#

Excess for both buildings and contents is £150 each.

I think the core cover required is to make sure you are covered for total loss of your home and its contents i.e by fire etc.

I have never claimed and i think for incidental issues,sometimes its best not to especially when taking the excess into consideration.

There isnt even a premium charged for monthly payments

The High Risk limit looks to low for an average family.

I recommend you look at your Insurers definition of what they class as a "high risk" item as some include everyday items such as televisions and computers as well as the standard definition eg jewellery. Bearing in mind you need to insure for the (Current) new figure it would be very easy to exceed £5k especially if your Insurer have a very restrictive definition of high risk items, which I have a feeling your Insurer will have
  • beastkingblast
    Options
    Hi i'm looking for home contents insurance that will also cover my contents, also mobile phone, laptop & camera out of the house for accidental damage. I want a low excess (some i found are £250) & as low monthly cost as possible. Any suggestions?
    Thanks guys
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure