HELLO From New Zealand

Options

Comments

• Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Chev! Good to hear from you. Hope you find a better connection soon! And that the estate agents sharpen up of course.
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62

• mumoftwins
    mumoftwins Posts: 2,498 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Chev!

Its really good to hear from you! Hope that its not too cold there, we've had bucketfuls of rain here - awful:eek: the good old english summer eh?? :rotfl:

Hope you enjoy the 'holiday' before settling down permanently and look forward to hearing from you soon,

Love MOT and clan xx
    Christians Against Poverty - www.capuk.org
  • Herewegoagain
    Herewegoagain Posts: 2,370 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi chev, New Zealand is somewhere I've always wanted to go, it's a lovely place from the pic's I've seen they used to live in Roturua. I used to look after my 2yrold nephew when his mother died, but he eventually went back to new Zealand to live with his dad, and even afte 26yrs I miss him:beer:
    lost 3stin 4mnths GC nov£90/£51.65 July£100/£97.67 Aug£90/£18.59
    LBM Nov05 Loan £4910.65 Paid April07 sealed pot challenge#256
    Nov06 CC £2,590.56 Paid aug07 + Savings07/08 Night Owl 22#
    Mortgage £87,000/£84,000/ £82,261.00/£81,785.30 £80,268/£75402.00/£71229.15 DFW NERD 987 Long Haul member 125 debt free 24th aug 07
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good to hear from you chev - however briefly!!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Brills Chev good to hear you got there ok. You keep the colonists in check ok. Len x
  • Bunnyinthelights
    Bunnyinthelights Posts: 15,278 Forumite
    Options
    Hi ya Chev-sounds a right ol adventure-
    It reminds me of when I moved over to jolly old....

And here I am 12 years later.....

xxxx
    Empty pockets never held anyone back, only empty heads and empty hearts can do that -Peale
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    THANK HEAVENS! We have now done a deal with our hosts to tap in (with their permission) to their broadband connection, so we are finally back to being always on! It is only in not having a regular internet connection, that I realise how much I like having is always accessible.

I mean we hear virtually NOTHING about the outside world here. I have seen about 2 articles say about afghanistan/iraq in the 4 weeks we have been here, nothing about the us presidential race, nothing about anything of british stuff except about the bloke who faked his death for 5 years by going out canoeing.

And not having access to bbc.co.uk/news has been really hard!

Still we are settling in and have got the boys in schools now. younger one can't start primary until he turns five so he will have 6 months of mornings again. Ho hum. I am sort of looking forward to having some time with him because he has not seen me at my best over the past 3 years (with the depression), so I would like to do more fun things.

Will write more tomorrow
    cheers
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • OberonSH
    OberonSH Posts: 1,792 Forumite
    Options
    Hey chev, it must be great to have a fresh start - we might be joining you if the States don't get their act together and give us a visa!

How are you finding getting stuff done? Are they paperwork junkies over there, or is it fairly easy to get stuff sorted out?
    This year I'm getting organised once and for all, and going to buy a house with my wonderful other half. And that' s final!

Current Pay Off Target : £1500 :mad:
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    chevalier wrote: »
    PS MARTIN YOU ARE NEEDED OVER HEAR. They were advertising consolidation of debts as the best way to pay them off. I cringed!!!!
    i think you might have found a new job chev
  • chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OberonSH wrote: »
    Hey chev, it must be great to have a fresh start - we might be joining you if the States don't get their act together and give us a visa!

How are you finding getting stuff done? Are they paperwork junkies over there, or is it fairly easy to get stuff sorted out?

Well we sort of have an edge Obi, as my OH is dual nationality aussie and british, so he gets to come here and work without a visa etc etc. The boys are dual nationality too, so they can come too, it is just me who has the problems (few I hope) with only being british. But now Rob is here he can start sponsoring me, so hopefully it won't take long.

There is a group called erm hang on will just get the link

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Expats-in-New-Zealand/

expats in new zealand. They have been a really useful group to ask dumb questions about things of. You have to join yahoo but other than that it is free.

The main thing is that you would both need work visas really to come here, and they do have a skills shortage list, which if your occupation is on there, you get extra points. And it isn't just high tech jobs or doctors or whatever, the last time I looked they had 'shepher' on the skills shortage list!!!!!

The other thing I would suggest doing, is going to a New Zealand Expo, they have them regularly in London, Manchester and Leeds I think (not too sure about the Leeds one). You have to pay to get in, but you can get to see people from the immigration service, tell them what you do and basically see if it is a goer at all.

Other than that, keep reading this, as this is the next hurdle after sorting out a job for OH. He can only really then start sponsoring me then
    ttfn chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure