Options

Comments

• VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    Hello,

I have got sent a code to get 1000cc points if i sign up to Tesco DVD rental, however i cant find any t&c about this. I am wondering how long i have to be a member for to get the points as intend to cancel this with the hope of getting it just for the points.

Thanks

9. In order to qualify for your 1000 Tesco Clubcard points, you must validly register for the free trial with the correct promotion code CCFEB9 and make your third DVD Rental monthly payment. This excludes any discounted packages, e.g. gift voucher purchases and prepay.

follow the links......
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=19928733&postcount=472
  • TurnaroundSue
    TurnaroundSue Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Options
    pazza2000 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea?? Sorry to be hasty :-D

I took this up ages ago and then cancelled after 2 weeks I think it was - never got my 1000 points though:mad:
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You had to make 3 monthly payments to get your 1000 points as post above yours shows. Shame, because great offer.
  • back_on_track
    Options
    Hiya

Im looking to book a day out to whipsnade zoo next month using tesco clubcard deals.

This is my 1st time using the clubcard points in exchange for deal tokens, so have a few questons.

Firstly do the tokens have an expiry date, and if so how long after ordered do they have to be used?
    Also can u use them at any day/time you want, or do you have to choose a specific day/time?
    Do you just hand the tokens in at the gate of the zoo on the day you want to go?

thanks in advance!
  • Loonytoons
    Loonytoons Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    The deals tokens are valid for 6 months and can be used on any day at any time other than special events. Just hand them in on the day no problem HTH
  • ko1970
    ko1970 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    mrburbs wrote: »
    I am in agreement with you, I wish I had checked out how much the holidays would cost with Cosmos using my vouchers before I ordered them from Tesco. It is a con to say they are worth 4x their face value, when in reality they may only be worth double at best.

I have today tried to book a holiday for the family in the Algarve through Cosmos. The online price (which included all supplements etc - I went all they way through booking online to the point of payment) was; £1479

The Brouchure price which you are told is the price you will pay, worked out at £1532 including supplements.

Trying to book over the phone with Cosmos using Tesco vouchers and the price leaps to £2080 ! Over £600 more than it would cost me to book at the same moment on-line on Cosmos website! :mad:

I have £1150 towards this in vouchers, but in reality this is only saving me £550 towards the holiday at the price you have to pay with tokens. Still a saving for me, but if I only had £250 of cashed in vouchers towards the holiday I would be much worse off, to the tune of costing me an extra £300!
    :mad:

I rang back again and asked for a qoute for the same holiday, not mentioning tesco vouchers, and this time was quoted £1818, (£339 more than booking online) when I asked if I could use tesco vouchers towards it, the sales girl said the price would be different and quoted me the £2080 again, another £262 more for using the vouchers! :mad:

So to sum up;
    Holiday booking online £1479
    Brochure price (including supplements) £1532
    Holiday booking over phone - no vouchers £1818
    Holiday booking over phone - with vouchers £2080

Difference between booking online and booking over phone with vouchers £601 !!!!

This must be a good con for Tesco and Cosmos, how can thet get away with these differences in price? I wish Tesco & Comos could answer me that! :mad: :mad:
    totally agree complete con, looking to book a family holiday found it for £1515, we have £850 worth of deals so we rang to book and were told that the same holiday using deals was £2034, I was not that happy so I rang back to check again and they said they had got it wrong, it was in fact £2450!! so using the deals tokens we were actually worse off, cosmos have shot themselves in the foot I feel, in this financial era that we are in! we will never use cosmos again and no doubt others will feel the same, we now have £850 worth of deals tokens for a family holiday...any ideals anyone??
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ko1970 wrote: »
    it was in fact £2450!! so using the deals tokens we were actually worse off,

...any ideals anyone??
    Not quite worse off. It would still only be £612.50 worth of deal tokens.

Like many offers including the days out at theme park ones that I tend to use, they only end up being worth 2 to 2 1/2 times their face value, not the 4 times that they like you to think they're worth.

If the tokens haven't expired you could always have them credited back to your clubcard account. At least you'd get another 2 years to use them.

I think that with Tesco making the deals worth less or making you pay the full list price, together with companies offering bigger discounts for things, you'll not find many good deals around.
  • back_on_track
    Options
    Loonytoons wrote: »
    Hi,
    The deals tokens are valid for 6 months and can be used on any day at any time other than special events. Just hand them in on the day no problem HTH

Great help! thanks for the reply :)
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ko1970 wrote: »
    totally agree complete con, looking to book a family holiday found it for £1515, we have £850 worth of deals so we rang to book and were told that the same holiday using deals was £2034, I was not that happy so I rang back to check again and they said they had got it wrong, it was in fact £2450!! so using the deals tokens we were actually worse off, cosmos have shot themselves in the foot I feel, in this financial era that we are in! we will never use cosmos again and no doubt others will feel the same, we now have £850 worth of deals tokens for a family holiday...any ideals anyone??

so when you say you have £850 worth of deals, do you mean thats their value once changed into Cosmos vouchers, or its that the value of vouchers you have, before changing them

If its the latter, then you will never get a good deal by using deal tokens. To really benefit from these, you need to have more or less the full price in deals tokens, having half the 'online' price still isnt that good a use of your deals tokens either

If you want to use all your deals tokens for a holiday, with £850 you will only be able to afford a week at butlins. as unless you can find that for no more than £212 cash, you have made good use of your deals

I just dont get why people see it as a con. You have got the deals tokens for free, so in theory tesco are paying your holiday for you. the only time you loose out, is if you dont have enough tokens (so perhaps tesco are penalising you for not spending enough with them), or you choose to spend them on a holiday at a premium time of year. Your £850 of deals tokens would get you a nice holiday with Cosmos, out of season, and as stated above, try and get that same holiday for a 1/4 of the price cash, and its prob not possible, so on that occasion, deals is the best option

There is no con, its just people being over-greedy. Tesco are offering you the chance of a free holiday, but you obviously want more!

Flea
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I understand that the price you pay via deals is bigger than you can get it for cold hard cash.

However, as someone who, in 2005, got a 3 week holiday to NZ for 3 by buying a lot of a specific item with extra points. in cold hard cash that holiday cost me £1000-I exchanged that cash for items for points for deals tokens which enabled us to have the holiday.

2007-we had a holiday for 4 in Tunisia half board. £1200 in deals tokens.

2009-we're off to maldives for 2 weeks, £396 cold hard cash, rest paid for in deals tokens.

Not sure where the con is...you get the quotes, you make the comparisons and decide what is best for your own specific circumstances. as a good guide, any holiday you're looking to pay under 60% in deals with will probably work out better to pay with cash.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport