June 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 211.1K views

Replies

• ChuzzleChuzzle Forumite
    625 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Sunny Donny - what website did you go on to find the record? DH is 40 this month and I need some ideas. Your's sounds fab - hope you don't mind me pinching it!
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • MonikerMoniker Forumite
    626 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭
    I wish there was a way of saying 'thank you' more than once for really inspirational posts - Mrs M your lunch time post about weight loss yesterday was one such! Thank you so much for your common sense approach and positive outlook! You're a star!

Moniker
  • Sunny_DonnySunny_Donny Forumite
    300 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi
    Just googled/asked jeeves what record was number one on 30th June 1968, it came up with a list of websites and hit them.
    No problem nicking the idea!!! hope you are successful!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • ChuzzleChuzzle Forumite
    625 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sunny - have just found one site. Now have to find Rolling Stones Jumping Jack Flash! Mine is Jimmy Osmond Long haired lover from liverpool - made me laugh cos dh is from liverpool and his parents have a photo of him with a girlie bowl haircut!!
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • The parsnip and apple soup I made earlier was delicious. Just as good as the expensive hotel version I had in Dublin! I added half a can of evaporated milk and a vegetable oxo cube to the recipe.
    Just made some more twinks-first tray got a bit burnes as I was too busy reading the latest posts! All the rest are perfect though. Using up the last of my all bran in the branflakes cake and also used up my mini-shredded wheats in place of one cup of bran flakes.
    May do a quiche later-not sure on that, but I could use up the rest of the bacon offcuts-unless they all get eaten in butties.
    Will try to get out my menu plans again but Im the spontaneous type to an extent and Ive now got my cupboards so well stocked that ive got the ingredients for most meals Im ever likely to cook. Tempted to do another wacky chocolate cake as it really was nice. Spoiled for choice now! Cant really cook for the freezer as there is little space in there.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • SquirmySquirmy Forumite
    100 Posts
    Did a big shop yesterday needed to get lots of bits as the cupboard and freezer were almost empty. Spent £38.00 which I was quite pleased with as also bought lots of fresh veggies so hopefully I won't need to spend much more this month, only really on fresh fruit and veg which I often get from our local market as its cheaper....hopefully be able to stick to my budget this month! I now have £62.00 left so shouldnt be too difficult I hope! If I manage to stick to budget well this month I have decided to reduce it by £10 next month as although we are saving alot of money compared to what we used to spend, I think that £100 is still quite a lot just for 2 people!

• YoungBeanYoungBean Forumite
    156 Posts
    Evening all!

Went to Mr A for the shop today.

Spent £26.36 and that is for me and the OH!!

Got some great Whoopsies aswell... 2x 9pack buns 20p and 2x bag of petit pain 30p :):) enough to keep us in sarnies and soup for weeks!!

Sooz xxx
    My Lightbulb Moment 13/05/2008

Official DFW Nerd Club- #970 Proud to be dealing with my debt
  • victoryvictory Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    NSD for me today, still have not been paid:eek: OH is going to ask tomorrow, fortunately we have loads in the freezer thanks to last months whoopsies and loads in the cupboards so we won't starve:D it really is a stroke of luck I found this thread because now when the worst happens(no money) we don't have to freak out too much:D thanks;)
    misspiggy wrote: »
    I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory :)
  • annelouise_2annelouise_2 Forumite
    360 Posts
    EVENING ALL,

Thought I might have to shop tomorrow for bread for 3 kids week of packed lunches but found a pack of 10 pan de leche ( milk rolls ) that need using up before the end of the week,although the fridge is looking rather like the Marie Celeste.

I have -

1 kiwifruit
    4 carrots
    6 apples
    1/2lb cheese
    8 cheese triangles
    6 babybel
    1 small tin tuna
    1/2 tub fruit salad
    1/2 onion
    3 fruit yogurts
    Large strawberry yogurt
    5 eggs
    Jam
    Lemon Curd
    Pate

So I think I'll do cheese,jam,pate,tuna mayo sandwiches,carrot sticks,fruit salad tubs with yogurt and an apple.I have also lost a jaffa orange somewhere between the dining room and kitchen which I was going to chop and bag up....Also 4 small spotty bananas that only DS4 will eat.

Have made DS carrot and cheese pasta salad for 2 days with mango chutney mixed in the mayo - cheap and cheerful

I have 6 carrot and apple muffins,50 twinks and a packet of raisins.

So I think I should manage until Wednesday - fingers crossed.

At school all day tomorrow so will not be anywhere near a shop so I'll take my chicken and lentil soup and hit the microwave at lunchtime.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,
    wow i`ve got lots of pages to catch up with:rolleyes:

Went to MrM today and used the £5 off voucher from the sun so my shopping was £28.62 :D then we had a trip to Pets at home for a sack of dog food costing £14.99 so altogether this week £43.61 spent leaving £102.06 for the next 3 weeks, i`ll manage it this month if it kills me:D

There is lots and lots of food in the cupboards and the freezer is absolutely stuffed:o i just can`t stop hoarding it lol.

MrsM i`ve just seen your thai salmon recipe and it looks yum!, can you tell me what the fish sauce is that you use please <grovel grovel- beg beg>:D
    Catch up with you guys later, i`m off to try and catch up on the last couple of days posts.
    Good luck guys and gals.
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides