Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

in Old style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 212.1K views

Replies

• MudbathMudbath Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hiya
    We're going to start the June challenge with a big bulk buy at costco and then spend the weekend cooking it all up so we have ready made meals in the freezer. Problem is we've got no food in but the freezer is pretty full...does anyone else have that problem as mad as it sounds. I've got half a bag of sausage rolls in there (down from three at the beginning of May!!!) - problem is we've all gone off sausage rolls!!! We also have a draw full of strange meat DH bought from over the border...ok, i'm exaggerating, he went up to Scotland to visit family and bought home the usual sack load of haggis, square sausage and black and white pudding. He's got enough to feed an army and he's the only one who likes it so it does down very slowly!

I'm going to finish the week of with 'this and that' meals. I can hear my children moaning already. Tough!!

Here's to a good month xx
  • Hi everyone!
    Please put me down for £250 for June.
    That's for 6 of us, myself, husband and 4 kids.
    Have failed badly on the other attemps but this time I will take the cash out on Sunday 1st June and then when it's gone it's gone!

Good luck everyone!! xx
    Pay off all your debt by Xmas 2012
    Aim £8200
    Total so far £3700
    Left £4500
  • Hi Guys,

Well I came in on Budget this month Yiphee!!!! so this month for me is £200 for two of us - but I want to try and get it down a little bit more have loads in freezer and store cupboard!! _ I feel a challenage coming on!!! Good luck everyone. x x :D
  • galadrielgaladriel Forumite
    217 Posts
    Hello, can you put me down for £200 please. This is for me, DS age 18 and the dog - plus visitors who eat me out of house and home. To include food, cleaning stuff and basic toiletries.

Even though I did well in May, my cupboards need stocking up as DS1 visited at the weekend. He eats like a pig. Also I am going on holiday last week in June, so need to take as much food with me as I can. Am going with DD - but she thinks that as I am mum I will provide the food :mad:. Will also need to leave DS2 plenty of food and some cash.
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure if this should go in the June or May thread but here goes....just nipped to local COOP, got sausages, haddock, onion bajis (yes spelling is wrong I know!), a bag of birdseye chillies and 3 bananas all for £4.08 (half price). I used the few £'s I had leftover in my purse from last months money but that will make us a few meals for June :). Also I got a £3 off £20 voucher valid til 3rd June so we will use that on our first £20 June shop as we will stock up on some bits like yogs for dad and fruit etc.
    Will skin the sausages and make patties with onion through, fish cakes with haddock, chillies will last for ages in lots of things, bajis are a wee treat with a curry, and the bananas- well they were for a cake but one has mysteriously disappeared (ok I ate it!).

GOOD LUCK everyone :D
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mudbath wrote: »
    Hiya
    We're going to start the June challenge with a big bulk buy at costco and then spend the weekend cooking it all up so we have ready made meals in the freezer. Problem is we've got no food in but the freezer is pretty full...does anyone else have that problem as mad as it sounds. I've got half a bag of sausage rolls in there (down from three at the beginning of May!!!) - problem is we've all gone off sausage rolls!!! We also have a draw full of strange meat DH bought from over the border...ok, i'm exaggerating, he went up to Scotland to visit family and bought home the usual sack load of haggis, square sausage and black and white pudding. He's got enough to feed an army and he's the only one who likes it so it does down very slowly!

I'm going to finish the week of with 'this and that' meals. I can hear my children moaning already. Tough!!

Here's to a good month xx
    Hmmmm lovely scottish fare mmmmm
    DH was away last week at a funeral, he stayed with my mum and she filled his case with lovelies like biscuits etc. Also some Tunnocks sausage rolls- nothing beats them, I grew up on those as the only sausage roll.
    I sometimes have the freezer full but no meals thing too, thats why I meal plan- have a good look through the freezer and make sure every meal this week contains at least one thing from there, even if you have to get other stuff to go with it.
    hth
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Hi Mrs M !
    Could you please put me down for £75 this month?

My month will run from Saturday 31st May to Sunday 29th June.
    I'm actually away in the US for the first week (Friday 30th - Friday 6th) but should be around for most of the rest of the month.
    I have £7.50 in Tesco vouchers (have looked and don't want anything in deals so may as well spend them), and two £5 off Morrison vouchers for the last two weeks in June so hopefully this will help keep me in touch with the £75 (lower than normal)
    My budget is to cover all food, dog food, toiletries and cleaning stuff (though not booze!).

I have some basics in but will definitely need to start on my return from being away with some fruit, veg and bread etc to make meals out of what I have in for the 2nd week of June. Am going to try to stick to just using the £7.50 Tesco voucher with maybe just a little bit of extra cash?
    That will leave approx £75 for the second two weeks of June when I'll definitely need restocking!

Anyway, enough woffling on!
    Good luck everybody!:beer:
  • jakjak Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Can you put me down for £85 again please. We actually have loads of food in the freezer..the majority of our main meals for at least 3 weeks..BUT I want to start to stock up on non perishables before the baby comes so plan on using most of our budget for this! Also, about on budget for May but £20 of that went on dh hair stuff so really did well with meal planning this month!
    I also want to batch cook some meals for the freezer for when ba by comes. I won't be eating at work after this week either as begin mat leave, so that will reflect itself in our budget.
    Our June challenge starts on Sat.
    Good luck everyone and congratulations to MERFE!
    Comp running total (prizes + free spins): £484.35
  • JustamumJustamum Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I must do better this month. I must do better this month. I must do better this month.:D
  • xtessxxtessx Forumite
    178 Posts
    Hello everyone,

Can I join in this month please? I reckon I can manage £280 for me, DH, and 2 kids 15 and 18. Been keeping receipts this month and have come in at slightly higher than this, so should be a challenge. If I manage it I will reduce again next month, etc.

Lidl here I come!:A

Good luck everyone!

Tessxx
    Total debt at May 08 - £28,934.53 :eek:
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
    Spendaholics Anonymous No 53 RED PEN MEMBER # 18 July grocery challenge £0/£280
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals