PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi I stayed within my budget for May £140:T ,June has my birthday in it and I have to add on £20 for a cake and a bottle of Bourbon:p

I think I can still do it for £140 so could you put me down for that;) thanks.

I am still trying to anticipate what will rise in price and buy it on multi saves in Asda,even though I don't strictly use them this month,I was hoping to stop over buying,but at least they are non-perishables and I can't see anyway round it.

I was lucky to have a stock of pasta before it went from 3 for £1 to 78p per pack:eek: ,and managed to buy an extra large bag of rice before that too shot up.

I fear with rising petrol prices everything will go up,but what can you do.

Good luck everyone it's getting harder stay strong.
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Did ok in May and set up ok for June store wise.
    OH is goin to be workin away mon-thurs from the 9th for up to 3 months :( Not sure if this will mean more or less spent! At the mo his work hasn't sorted a house so they will all b in a b+b with a dinner allowance. Once a house sorted he should be able to cook his own tea but whether he sticks to budget or not is another thing!
    I will be back in the office from 17 June so lunches can go beyond sandwhiches :)
    Don't fancy cookin for one for months, but the freezer is so full theres no way I can bulk cook. Ach well.
  • julie-jukes
    julie-jukes Posts: 18 Forumite
    Another newbie here too! Can you put me down for £200 which is for 2 adults, 1 toddler and 1 dog and a holiday in Aviemore at the end of the month! I'll start it from yesterday which was payday.

Thanks and look forward to talking to you all!
  • Bleachbird
    Bleachbird Posts: 66 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi all,
    First time for me too on this one. Can you put me down for £150 for 2 adults and a toddler pretty please? I do have a freezer full of food already and have completed my menu plan yesterday which will go until the end of June.
    Thanks
  • jacksons_mum
    jacksons_mum Posts: 905 Forumite
    hi all:hello:

ive been doing the challenge by myself since jan and thought its about time i joined in properly. i started off in jan aiming for £200, and have got it down a bit each month.

this month im aiming for £120 for 2 adults, 1 toddler, 2 rabbits. this includes all food, drink, toiletries, household products and nappies.

ive just done a quick comparison of all the things i use lots of each month and thought i would share (i hope its the right place to put this). i compared tesco and asda and all products are from their value ranges

tinned toms T - 21p, A - 21p
    tinned corn T - 29p, A - 17p
    tuna T - 37p, A - 29p
    beans T - 20p, A - 20p
    long life milk T - 67p, A - 50p
    mayo T - 42p, A - 42p
    pasta T - 21p, A - 21p
    rice (brown) T - 89p, A - 89p (k)
    froz chix breast T - 34.9p, A - 28.6p (k)
    frozen peas T - 9.8p, A - 12.4p (100g)
    loo roll T - 1.12, A - 1.12
    washing powder T - 1.41, A - 1.41

many things are the same price, i will also compare morrisons when i can get there and will see how i get on shopping at all 3 and buying the cheapest things from each one
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    Hi All, :hello:

I'm another newbie, Can you please put me down for £200 MRS M for myself DD 12 and DS 9, plus DD's friends who seem to be here for dinner a couple of nights a week. This is to include all shopping and DD's lunch money for school (I'm trying to get her to take packed lunches, but no success as yet:confused::angry: ) .

Good Luck Everyone!!!!!
    GC: £400/ £0
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whoo - how did I miss this thread starting? I've been waiting for it all week. :j Must get up earlier ... or stay up later ...

I did really, really well in May and was very pleased with myself. Y'see, there's only me and 2 cats and I was spending between £50 and £60 per week, then throwing stuff away. :eek: queenpig: I have started this challenge so many times and May, coming in at £93.26 on a budget of £90 was my first major success. So keep at it. We'll all get there in the end.

June runs from 23 May to 24 June, as pay day is the 25th of the month or the last working day if it falls on a non-work day. That's 5 weeks at £30 per week. So, MrsMc, please would you put me down for £150 for June. Ta.

My first weekend came in at £36.88, which was a bit naughty, especially when it should have been £29.05 had I kept to my list. However, my Tesco vouchers are here now so I'm hoping it will be closer to £16 this coming weekend. Sadly I can't afford to put my vouchers towards any pin money at the moment. I need to concentrate on getting the overdraft down.

Good luck everyone. Welcome to the totally new newbies, judellie, Julie-jukes and bleachbird (so far). And CONGRATULATIONS to merfe. :T
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • tiptoes
    tiptoes Posts: 386 Forumite
    Hi All, :hello:

I'm another newbie, Can you please put me down for £200 MRS M for myself DD 12 and DS 9, plus DD's friends who seem to be here for dinner a couple of nights a week. This is to include all shopping and DD's lunch money for school (I'm trying to get her to take packed lunches, but no success as yet:confused::angry: ) .

Good Luck Everyone!!!!!
    GC: £400/ £0
  • pinkparrott
    pinkparrott Posts: 340 Forumite
    Hello
    i'm a newbie on this thread too. so please Mrs M can you put me down for £300 for june.

Thats for me, DH and DS whos 2 but also have 2 teenage stepchildren who stay 1 or 2 nghts a week.

I've got a full freezer and lots or storecupboard items, but want to start off with £300 as new and when i've been keeping the recipts for the last 2 months we can spend anywhere up to £500:eek: so wanted to be realistic, also I expecting my second child on the 13th of June so might not be able to stick as faithfully to my meal plan for the month as maybe tired etc.

But as now on Mat leave really need to watch the pennies from now on, so wish me luck:j
    Grocery Challenge Feb 14 £500 / Spent £572.10!
    March 14 £500 / spent £488.45 :j
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Afternoon all

Just made the spinach and bacon bread i have been threatening to make for a while :D ...so thought I'd share the recipe...i will post the original recipe and add what i changed as i only made 1 just incase we weren't keen

Spinach and bacon bread
    Makes 2 loaves
    grease 2 9" cake tins
    pre-heat oven to 200c
    1. 450ml warm water
    2. 2tsp dried yeast i used 8g fresh for 1 loaf
    3. pinch of sugar
    4. 1 onion -finely chopped
    5. 115g rindless smoked bacon -chopped I used those raw bacon bits/lardons you can get ;)
    6. 225g spinach -thawed if frozen
    7. 675g bread flour
    8. 1.5tsp salt
    9. 1.5tsp grated nutmeg
    10. 25g grated cheddar -i used fresh parmesan
    • put water, yeast and sugar in a bowl -mix and leave for 10 mins
    • drop the bacon into a hot frying pan and add the onion, cook for 10 mins until golden brown
    • if using frozen spinach-drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible
    • if fresh..wilt in a dry pan then chop and squeeze out
    • sift flour, salt and nutmeg into a bowl and make a well in the centre
    • add yeast mix and add bacon/onion and spinach and mix well to form a soft dough -you may need a little more flour depending on the spinach
    • place in the bowl and cover and leave to double in size
    • tip out and cut in half..knead briefly then shape into balls and press into the tins, mark each into 8 wedges and sprinkle over the cheeses (i threw mine into the mix)
    • cover loosely with a plastic bag and leave to prove
    • bake for 25-30 mins until golden..should sound hollow if you knock on the bottom -cool
    Im thrilled that the spinach outside that was bolting hasn't gone to waste ...not sure how clear the pic is... but the piece that was cut has somehow vanished :whistle: I think it would be lovely with a nice bowl of HM tomato soup mm
    hope its of use to someone :D

pict0156bc3.th.jpg
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills