PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288
    First Post
    Forumite
    Morning All!!

Have updated siggie and am slightly alarmed at small amount remaining but am trying the big shop and only veggie box/ cat food extras this month to see if that works for us-- we have a meal plan drawn up so I am quietly confident *wipes sweat from brow*:eek:

Jakk-- Asda is only doing the 50p thing for this weekend- and Tescos are dropping some prices also but again for a limited time- thats what it says inthe paper anyway. (or the online paper so I don't have to buy one!)

Thank goodness its Friday!!! DeniseF-- have a fantastic last day- not looking forward to it much then??!! :rotfl:

For anyone who has access to QVC today they are doing an offer on food saver bags that lengthen the keep time for food-- £15 for 45 bags- each bag can be used 8- 10 times-- apparently it will keep things fresh for about twice as long inc fruit, veg, cheese and meats etc- I have ordered some to try out.

Will try and do thread catch up...!

Oh thats a shame :rolleyes: , they are talking the beginning of major price wars on the radio :eek: . To good to be true hey :rolleyes: , oh well boohooo.

Jackie x
  • Anitaj73
    Anitaj73 Posts: 155 Forumite
    JayJay14 Good luck to all the family with the Job Interviews and go on spoil yourself :D

DeniseF Hope your last day at work is a good one and Good Luck in your new venture :j

Twinks in the oven here and hoping to do the lemon cake today if i'm lucky.....Got the kids home as they have a teacher training day at school :rolleyes:

buzzer going....gotta go :)
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
  • perrywinkle
    perrywinkle Posts: 224
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Morning everyone :hello:

Thought somebody might find this useful especially with the school holidays coming up when the kids tend to get up at brunch time rather than breakfast time (well mine do anyway). It’s a mix which I make up so can quickly have pancakes for breakfast or brunch when we feel like something a bit different.

Pancakes – bulk mix

1.5 kg plain flour
    2 cups instant dry milk
    ¾ cup sugar
    ¼ cup baking powder
    2 tbsp salt

Mix all ingredients and keep in airtight plastic box.

To make up:

2 cups pancake mix (see above)
    1 egg
    1 cup milk
    4 – 5 tsp vegetable oil

Fry spoonfuls in a lightly greased frying pan (I get about 4 in an average sized pan) – turn pancakes over when bubbles appear on top and golden brown on underneath. Cook on second side until golden. The kids like theirs with golden syrup (I sit the tin in a bowl of hot water which comes half way up the tin and it becomes nice and liquidy so can be trickled lightly over the pancakes) and sliced bananas and sometimes fried chopped bacon (I use the cheap cooking bacon bits which most supermarkets sell).

HTH
    Perrywinkle
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    annelouise wrote: »
    oh I did give ds4 about 6 of them so I'll call it sharing.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Sounds fair enough to me :D
  • Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Just been back and edited my recipe for Thai green chicken curry in post #2631, as I made it last night using different ingredient proportions/quantities and it worked much better than my first version, not to mention working out cheaper as the ratio of veg to meat is higher.

To accompany it I went to a local Asian supermarket and bought a 5kg bag of jasmine rice for £6.99. If I'd bought 10kg it would have been fractionally better value still (£12.99) - but was on foot, and don't have a great deal of storage space as it is. Anyhow, considering that if I'd bought a little packet of Tilda in a supermarket it would have cost anything up to £2.29 for 500g :eek: the loss of an additional saving of 10p a kilo is frankly immaterial...
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wannatravelmore - including almost 600 loo rolls) :rotfl::rotfl::eek:

Well at least you are well prepared for any unexpected tummy upsets :D
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone, :hello:

Thanks Periwinkle the recipes look enticing will try them another time as I was up until midnight making a banana loaf the recipe by catznine and it was ever so easy. DH was making pineapple jam and it took longer than he thought it would take but worked out in the end.

Good Luck denisefowler with the last day enjoy _party_ _party_

mrstittlemouse thanks for the news:j will probably go shopping this weekend after I have been to specsavers. I dont know which shop to go to as they will be trying to outdo each other

helliecopter sorry to hear you have ahd chickenpox its usually very painful in adults I hope you and the kids are better and not marked too much.

Well talk to you soon :beer:
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• huxley
    huxley Posts: 296 Forumite
    Hi all, I'd like to declare £227.15 for June:mad: slightly over but its a been a nightmare month, oh well as on all the old school reports must try harder, please put me down for £220 for July, must now try and catch up on everyones postings soooooooo far behind:D
  • hi there,

Have a batch of bakewell tarts in for OH this morning.Have bulk boiled potatoes for spicy potatoes for lunch,roasties for lemon chicken dinner and a few for freezer.

Veggies attended to,1 cupboard turfed out with books and creative c**p.Have sent 2 books to neighbour,bag full for Nursery and 2 bags for bin.

All ebay parcels ready for OH to post Monday morning.

Have lent 4 cook books from friends and am busy scanning stuff and copying recipes for my guests to have a cheap time on our Sumnmer Budget of 425 euros this month.

I am aiming to make guacamole and houmous for the first time and also more exciting pizzas as I've mastered the dough now.

Must go for a swim as it's very hot here today and the blue water is calling.

See you

annelouise :rotfl:

Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am declaring June at £205.56, as I said in a previous post, more than should be but DS2 party stuff took it over.

I have just worked out that I have spent 60% of my yearly budget amount in 45% of the time. Will have to tighten the reins a good deal I think.
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure