June 2008 Grocery Challenge

in Old Style MoneySaving
2.9K replies 211.3K views

Replies

• Mrs_Money_PennyMrs_Money_Penny Forumite
    956 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Everyone back from being away for a few days. So many posts to catch up on.
    MrsM you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Well have no spends to report as I can claim them back. Will declare Junes total on Monday but am going for a meal tomorrow night.
    Angelinikki- please put me down for July at £200. Thanks for helping MrsM out.
    £44752.79/savings £40892.30
  • zoe260373zoe260373 Forumite
    868 Posts
    hi jediteacher-essentials depends on what you prefer to cook,i.e,sweet or savory,im a savory person and cant live without mixed herbs,peppercorns and carlic in my cupboard but everyone is different,i also have a LO (4months) so am cooking with him in mind too,(have 3others upto age 15)so mealtimes can be 'fun'.i tend to do a lot of the ole meat and 3 veg and then make a stew out of whats left,or a curry.let me know what you enjoy eating and i will have a think for you re easy/cheap recipes,hth zoe.x :)
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
    868 Posts
    ROTFL meant Garlic not carlic,sorry
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
  • jediteacherjediteacher Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Bless you that would be great. :A

We're not great meat eaters. Mostly chicken and some pork. My baby girl is allergic to fish so we stay clear of this. We also eat sausages and mince. We're more savoury than sweet as well.

Just going to check my bare cupboard to see if I have any herbs that are still in date. :rolleyes:
    zoe260373 wrote: »
    hi jediteacher-essentials depends on what you prefer to cook,i.e,sweet or savory,im a savory person and cant live without mixed herbs,peppercorns and carlic in my cupboard but everyone is different,i also have a LO (4months) so am cooking with him in mind too,(have 3others upto age 15)so mealtimes can be 'fun'.i tend to do a lot of the ole meat and 3 veg and then make a stew out of whats left,or a curry.let me know what you enjoy eating and i will have a think for you re easy/cheap recipes,hth zoe.x :)
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • SunnydaySunnyday Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,
    just a quickie from moi.
    At Pets at home the Burgess supadog sacks of dry food are on offer at ten pounds odd (sorry can`t remember how many pence) which is a huge £4 off each sack and the felix pouches are on offer, two boxes for £20 which works out at 96 pouches for £20 :j 4.8 pence each.
    I`ve just stocked up:D
    HTH
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • Sunny_DonnySunny_Donny Forumite
    300 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi

I found a couple of jars of herbs, some open, some not. Don't throw them away use them in your cooking, just add a few more in than usual - you can still get the same effect. Still tasty. Just replace them when they are empty.
    I have tried growing herbs this year in a couple of old strawberry plastic tubs from Mr T and Mr S. keep cutting them and have a platic bag of each in freezer that I keep adding to for the winter.
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13 :j
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
    868 Posts
    i wouldnt worry too much if they were out of date to be honest,obviously there are some things you just CANT eat after their 'use by' but others i tend to ignore.i love fish but my kids dont so tend not to eat that much myself and its rarely very fresh nowadays,god...i sound like my gran! hehe
    868 Posts
    talking of dog food,if its any help..i buy 30kg at a time for £26 delivered to the door,think thats pretty good?? although i bet someone on here will soon set me straight,:ROTFL: you lot are fab! :)
  • fluffysoxfluffysox Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    NSD today- out for a meal tomorrow for a colleague who's leaving- not out of grocery budget though and have popped a chicken pie in the oven for OH lunch and dinner tomorrow. It's shop bought but was a good price for a brand we like. However have made Mum promise to show me how to make the chicken pie we used to have as children- was lovely:p . Used to enjoy making jam tarts with leftover pastry too:rotfl::rotfl: .

Well done to everyone who is coming in on/below target- and chin up to those over, at least you are aware of how much you are spending. I will not declare until the 30th. Although I get paid around 18th I prefer to budget from start to end of month.
    I'm considering the idea somebody posted about withdrawing money weekly and putting the excess in a piggybank/ sealed pot towards Christmas etc. Does anyone else do this?
    2016 MFW OPd £2000, 2015 MFW OPd 3000 then bought new bigger house with bigger mortgage.
    MFW OPd 2014 £2000 2013 £9700 2012 £2848.39 2011 £2509.58 2010 £11000 2009 £112002008 £4939 :D
    Beautiful boys born May 2011 and October 2013 :)
  • jediteacherjediteacher Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Hi

I found a couple of jars of herbs, some open, some not. Don't throw them away use them in your cooking, just add a few more in than usual - you can still get the same effect. Still tasty. Just replace them when they are empty.
    I have tried growing herbs this year in a couple of old strawberry plastic tubs from Mr T and Mr S. keep cutting them and have a platic bag of each in freezer that I keep adding to for the winter.

Thanks for the tip. I've also got a strawberry pot that my brother bought me for my birthday last year and have put some herbs in it - how do you stop the slugs eating it all? I don't really want to put the blue pellets down as I'm worried my daughter will pop them in her mouth - everything goes in the mouth at the moment.
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES