The Great 'Where to meet people on the cheap' Hunt

Options

Comments

• barrington
    barrington Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I'm signed up to PoF too.

Free to use & I've met some nice people (one or two oddballs too!).
  • jackboc
    jackboc Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on POF, i joined them, then went on to join Friendsofyours.co.uk and the mate1.com oh and then the over 50's one too! :-)
    Barrington's right about the oddballs though!

I was in the process of putting finer details on POF when a box pops up and theres this 30 something guy asking me if i want some fun! erm no thanks i said, and quickly learnt how to enter my preferences :-)

I should add that i've not paid for any dating sites as yet, in friendsofyours i've got 3 emails i cant access until i have paid, and its loadsa dosh!
  • curryqueen
    Options
    Hello - first post for me! I have just read this thread with interest - it is always a challenge to meet new friends - both male and female. I agree that the dating sites help a lot of people meet their new partner - but sometimes an activity or social based group can be good. I have been a member of Spice in the Thames Valley for ages now - I agree with the earlier comments made - it is really good group to be with! I love to ski and Spice helps me find new friends to ski with. I saved over £200 with Mark Warner ski trip last year with Spice - so you can save quite a lot with the Spice trips... check them out!!
  • Urban_chameleon
    Options
    Lionhead : I love your comments, hope the quote goes in okay
    December Grocery challenge 300 euros for me and half a person (OH only here at the weekend)
    so far 20/300. And a little extra (not calculated yet) for some nice things at Christmas.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Not sure what site he used, but my bro met his wife through an online dating site. I think she was his third date through the site, so it doesn't have to take a long time to meet the right person. His advice is to be honest in your profile and to make sure that you've got a good picture (and no, they'll suss you out if you put up a pic of Brad Pitt).
  • something_girl
    Options
    I used to work for Club Sirius, which was a dating agency for professionals. The average price per year was £500 PLUS you had to pay to actually get matches. I only remember about 2 letters to us, saying they had met their true love, in over 2 years. There are an awful lot of single people out there!

I myself, went on date sites for a while, met a few guys, an airline pilot was one, but it's way too stressful, unless you're uber confident and don't mind knock backs and having to let people down as you just didn't click, they can be ok I guess. The thought of being single again (which I probably will be soon) at near 39 is rather daunting, but can also be liberating.

I don't know anyone where I am, as I've moved around a lot, so I wouldn't even know where to start, but I vowed not to go down the date site route again, it just didn't suit me.
  • poppy10_2
    poppy10_2 Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shameless bump... any other suggestions?
    poppy10
  • I wrote a great post in this thread a month or so ago only to have a mod throw it away because it was 'my first post and it looked spammy'... the thread was asking for web addresses, what did they expect?!

Anyway, here goes again...

I've tried a few sites and the one I really like in terms of its features and usability is www.freedating.co.uk - a UK site that does exactly what it says on the tin - free dating - which includes unlimited messages, freedom to swap contact details and I haven't come across a limit on the number of photos yet. I think the search feature rivals that of most big name pay-for sites too as you can narrow down on quite a few things. If any ladies want to look me up, I'm "Travelling Light" :)

Second on my list would be www.plentyoffish.com and I've also tried love.lycos.co.uk in the past too, but there seems to be fewer people on there these days.

Good luck!
  • dougal21
    dougal21 Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello :)

I've just found this forum while googling for reviews of free dating site. I knew about MSE of course but I didn't realise that these forums contained discussions on this subject. PoF is one of the most well known and it seems to be one of the most well known of the free ones.

I've also registered at http://www.lovecup.com. It's free of all charges and has more of as social network site (like Facebook) so you can use it for making new friends and/or dating.

Has anyone else used it?

Thanks,
    Doug
  • landsker
    landsker Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    Look in "Gumtree" ads - lots of no strings attached guys & gals ads.!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure