PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

spruce up your sprouts

Options

Comments

• sassy_saver_2
    Options
    Try them rough grated and cooked in a frying pan with a little water instead of oil.. effectively steaming them.. add in some chopped ginger, half a freshly squeezed lime, some freshly chopped parsley, a few splashes of soy sauce and cook for less than 4 minutes.. then add some pine nuts when youve finished.
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    I really don't like sprouts but Ilove them done like this - if you have a food processor you shred them really finely then stir-fry them for around 60 seconds in a little butter, olive oil and crushed garlic. Serve with hot toasted flaked almonds
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yum! Thanks everyone. Ted, where do you FIND this stuff? That's a great link!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Haven't read Ted's link yet, so this may be in there, but I love them sliced and sauteed in butter with bits of cripy bacon and garlic thrown in too.

However, I'm also with you all on the chocolate theory. Any minute now, someone will suggest have Cointreau with this combo - and chucking the sprouts out....:rotfl:
  • scuzz
    scuzz Posts: 1,995 Forumite
    Options
    Couldn't you make a soup with them? Add them to a veggie one, or sprout and stilton - just thought of that so not saying it's nice!!
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    agree with Curry Queen it makes the nicest Bubble and Squeak especially if you do it with uncooked potatoes which you grate then cook the whole thing rosti style - yum
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Gingham_Ribbon
    Gingham_Ribbon Posts: 31,520 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm going to try the rosti/bubble and squeak thing this weekend. Will let you know the results. Never tried anything like that before...
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I love mine cooked off then roughly chopped in the pot with a knife, add a good twist of fresh balck pepper and a pinch of salt. A large knob of butter melted in and served on a plate with mash! Yummy.

Only time I get them is at Christmas, no one else in our house likes them. I know I could use frozen ones for me but they just don't taste the same.
  • 1sttimer_2
    Options
    I've not looked at Ted's site either, but if I have a glut of brussels, or for a change of eating 'normal' brussels, I make a leek and broccolli croustarde (spelling?) using brussels instead of broccolli done in the microwave - quick and very very tasty.

There is a breadcrumb and very finly chopped almond and garlic base with the leeks and brussels/broccolli cooked in a white sauce poured on top then topped with grated cheese and browned under the grill - an absolute favourite with my family :drool:

I have some leeks in the fridge so i think this is a meal planned for this weekend!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    I have a bag of brussels sprouts in my veg box. I usually do them at Christmas with chestnuts, but has anybody got any other suggestions of interesting things to cook with sprouts?
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure