Pipeline Card - I Got Spammed

When the Pipeline Card website was advertised some time ago I decided to register. I set up a new e-Mail address just for this purpose and no other and registered. I now get 200 Spam e-Mails per month trying to sell all manner of dubious products.

At the same time I also set up a new GoogleMail and Hotmail accounts which I never disclosed ... just to check. Suspicious aren't I!

The two undisclosed accounts never got an e-Mail during the last year. Not one. Nice one Google and Microsoft ... no Spam from you.

The one I only ever used to register with PipelineCard.org ... and never disclosed anywhere else ... got Spammed badly. So badly I have had to cancel the account.

Now just to be sure, I run Linux and have full Firewalls, Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware in place so I know my address books have not been compromised so therefore PipelineCard.org is providing it's mailing list to Spammers ... for money or not I cannot tell.

My advice. Don't go anywhere near PipelineCard.org and make sure you have Spam filters in place.

Comments

• Overthetop
    Overthetop Posts: 207 Forumite
    Thanks for info
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I only received two emails, one about a satnav and another for virgin wines, and been on there list for over 3 years.
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I've got email accounts i've never used or discolosed to anyone but they still get hundreds of spam emails. I doubt very much if this has anything to do with pipeline just the practice of making-up email addresses putting them out and if they don't bounce then they get spammed again and again and again.

Its why catch all's are a bad idea and yes google and hotmail have very advanced spam filters (google's is better than hotmail but I don't like the no folders thing on google).
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • gpkwells
    gpkwells Posts: 158 Forumite
    I have been with pipeline for a year and have only had one e-mail to ask if I want a utilitiy switch as they have negotiated some discounts.

Pipeline are genuine and are pushing for changes that ALL money savers should relish. They currently have 500,000 members but prob need closer to 5mil to have any weight negotiating discounts with petrol suppliers!

If all money savers join them and get all their friends and family to join we could be getting them closer to that number. I for one won't grumble at cheaper fuel!

Pipeline link (this is not a referal - free to join) - give them your backing!

http://www.pipelinecard.org/

Many thanks

:beer:
    😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬😬
  • I think a fair few folk got bored of all the hype and no action; probably like me opted out when it was fairly obvious that nothing was going to happen (oh and when they started trying to spam satnav and wine deals etc...) ;)
    :D
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Spammers can guess email addresses, maybe your pipeline one was more obvious, or with a popular provider? My Yahoo email account that I signed up to Pipeline with doesn't get the amount of spam you indicate, I think it's unfair that one person's bad experience should put other people off or wreck the whole thing, as little chance as there is of actually getting something out of it...
  • Dalkirst
    Dalkirst Posts: 9,210
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I have been with the site from the beginning and to be honest with you i think it was just a ploy to sell items like the Sat Navs etc.Nothing has ever been done but they find the time to offer these deals so they can make money for Ben Scammell sp?

i haven't recieved any spam from them though apart from the emails trying to sell something which i consider spam as i didn't sign up for other deals just to get a card to get money off petrol which is never going to happen:/
    Darren
  • I subscribed to Pipleline some time ago. In September I received an email saying they had negotiated discounted home electricity & gas prices for subscribers, and I followed the link to the web page to register my interest. After I had entered my details I was just told someone would get in touch - I had expected the site to give some indication of my likely saving and maybe take me through to the supplier's web site to make the switch. I then received an email saying that due to the high level of interest it may take a couple of weeks, but someone would contact me by phone. The email also said that a dedicated web site would be up & running by 13th October (2008). I have heard nothing from them until today, when I received another general circular email, encouraging more people to go to the web page that I visited in September, where their details will be gathered. The promised dedicated web site has still not appeared.

I emailed Pipeline in September saying that I was concerned that this seemed like a phishing scam, and if my details have been passed to their third party I am entitled to know who they are under Data Protection laws. I have emailed them again today, to ask the same question, but I don't expect a response.

This is clearly a massive phishing exercise and it confirms the growing concerns that I (and others) have about Pipeline. In these days when we have to protect our personal details to avoid spam, nuisance phone calls or worse, my advice would be to avoid Pipeline. They have achieved nothing for their subscribers in the 3-4 years they have existed but have struck deals to put them in touch with sat-nav and wine companies, and have now led them into this scam. So, you won't be missing out on much, and I regret trusting them with my details.
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Well the latest Pipeline spamvertisement just landed in my inbox. Once again, no petrol savings card, just an offer to save me money on gas and electric. I really do feel that this has reached scandal proportions now as a nice bait (cheap petrol) was used to hook many thousands of people who were then offered cheap satnav or home fuel deals - both of which earn the mailing list owner commission. I even start to speculate that this was the plan all along.
  • BallandChain
    BallandChain Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    I registered with Pipeline a couple of years ago. First the promise of cheaper petrol, then we were told it was going to be a while before they issued the petrol discount cards. After months and months of them dragging out the time and then saying the deal with the petrol company had fallen through I thought that was that.

I'm sure it was Ben Scammell (appropriate name!) who came on this site telling people he was legitimate and that this was going to take time. Well, how much time does he want? By the time petrol prices come down even lower his little scheme will be just a PIPE dream.

He's only getting people interested in this petrol discount so he can flog satnavs or whatever else he is trying to make a buck out of. I got the e-mail for cheaper gas and electricity. lol, the prices look likely to be coming down anyway in the near future so Mr Scammell I suggest you should just pack up now. Most people have seen through your oily sales techniques.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure