We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Would I be mad? Considering an MG convertible
Comments
-
http://www.mx5oc.co.uk/
Do consider one of these, in preference to MG's or MR2.
You'll sell it easier, too - if you decide you need something bigger!
No need to go the imported Eunos route, either, although some well speced examples are available,
VB0 -
I'll be the first to agree with the MX5 option, though I found the early ones which were meant to replicate the older MG series drove with charm and fluidity but felt older than it's age belied. (96 Monza 1.6)
The prices may be tempting on the MGF, the TF looks sharper, there is a specialist who basically bought 2/3 of the factory shop in Lincolnshire with a fair amount of parts in stock. But it is no guarentee everything will always be available.
Have you considered some of the outsiders?? I like odd cars -
Fiat Barchetta 1.8 - Unfortunately only LHD which was always it's downfall - Near to £3k now for some of them, there used to be an importer who could convert to RHD somewhere?? Some parts in common with the Punto - but I'm not sure thats a good thing. It is Italian - but basic so reliability is not too bad. Galvanised bodypanels too IIRC.
Alfa Romeo Spyder - 2.0 - Reliability not as strong as the Fiat! But striking looks which hides it's age well. Insurance a bit pricey due to cc.Praying at the church of MSE should be compulsory!
There are three types of people in the world, those who can add up and those who can't.0 -
smart roadster

best car ever0 -
not being funny but we started looking at MG's then checked the road tax change for next year on parkes web site. We ended up with a smart, its great goes as fast as you are allowed to go on uk roads plus more people look and the main thing is it makes you smile and laugh. But keep a check on road tax.. but thats another story on another thread0
-
nikkybelper wrote: »not being funny but we started looking at MG's then checked the road tax change for next year on parkes web site. We ended up with a smart, its great goes as fast as you are allowed to go on uk roads plus more people look and the main thing is it makes you smile and laugh. But keep a check on road tax.. but thats another story on another thread
There's more to being fast than getting to 70mph, I believe the importanf figure is 0-60 in seconds
0 -
-
Hence my comments about the MX5 being more fun to drive:money:I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.
Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)
Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed0 -
I run an MX5 - it's an NC version though. Gearbox is a gem to use, steering is very sharp and precise and the engine is a loves to rev and is bullit proof.I cam absolutely recommend a '5.Don’t be a can’t, be a can.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards