We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Would I be mad? Considering an MG convertible

124

Comments

  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    I can't believe that none of you guys out there haven't also advised the OP on the headgasket risk with the MG!

    Its a Rover - granted it looks nice, but the problems...

    Mx 5 - no contest. MR2 roadster has problems too, its not like the good old MR2 - which I am glad to say, we still see plenty of, lovingly cared for and restored.

    Oh and I'm not anti MG - had a Roadster MGB (a proper one) - granted it was a few years ago!!
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • debsy42
    debsy42 Posts: 1,762 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I've got an MGF but just waiting to have a new engine put in after it blew up on the motorway, not gonna see much change out of £1500 I reckon. :eek: I love my car to bits but honestly wouldn't buy another one. The mechanic at the garage where we take poorly cars warned me against one and told me to buy a MX-5 instead. :rolleyes: Can't tell you the number of times mine had broken down previous to the engine explosion :eek:
    ITV Winners Club #87 :eek:
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hear that Debsy42 - but hopefully that info will help out the OP a bit. Its a nice looking car - but such a shame as to how it is put together etc. Bit like Land Rover and the Freelander - look great but...........
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    I can't believe that none of you guys out there haven't also advised the OP on the headgasket risk with the MG!

    i think a few posts mentioned it,number 22 did.
    ...work permit granted!
  • BillScarab
    BillScarab Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    The most important thing is to find a good, relaible loacl specialist who knows the cars inside out. All cars can have problems, admittedly the K series engine has head gasket problems but other than that it is a pretty good engine. If you like the MG go for it but spend some time finding a good one, it's usually cheaper to buy one in good nick where someone else has had hte expense of fixing the problems than buying a cheap one and having to fix it yourself.

    An MX-5 is worth considering as well though.

    They're going to start making the MG TF again later tis year, no idea if it will affect the used prices but it could raise their profile and boost prices.
    It's my problem, it's my problem
    If I feel the need to hide
    And it's my problem if I have no friends
    And feel I want to die


  • rrockettman
    rrockettman Posts: 163 Forumite
    MX-5 for me every time.
    But I am biased!
    Russ.
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    i think a few posts mentioned it,number 22 did.
    Trust you...

    Ok - there is some advice there, but honestly, even as someone posted earlier, find one that has already had the problems fixed.... it'll go wrong again tho! They are just not reliable. I'd like to say something nice other than it's a nice car to look at.....
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    BillScarab wrote: »
    They're going to start making the MG TF again later tis year, no idea if it will affect the used prices but it could raise their profile and boost prices.
    Guess they'll be poorer than the old one's and shipped in from China?
  • iltisman
    iltisman Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    Dont buy the MG the head gasket will fail.
  • zeon999
    zeon999 Posts: 229 Forumite
    I would agree with the majority on this one they are not a great car IMO and I can think of many different cars I would prefer to spend the money on.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.