We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Would I be mad? Considering an MG convertible

Morning All,

I think I sense early morning madness setting in, as I've just spent the past hour looking at MGF and MGTF cars on Ebay! :rolleyes:

I'm possibly in the market for a cheap to buy, cheap to run sports car, as my daily commute to work has recently been removed from the equation (as I now live within walking distance) so I'm looking at possibly getting rid of the current workhorse for a fun weekend car.

I currently drive a Fiat Brava, and based on offers could get about £800 for it. Given a couple of months, I may be able to raise a couple of thousand extra to bring my budget to £3k.

Obviously I appreciate that these cars had major head gasket issues, however the ones I have been looking at have had the required work done recently.



There are soe MGF's from about £1000, so I may be able to pick up a bargain whilst keeping plenty in the kitty for any rpeair work that may be needed.


The ultimate question here is, would I be a fool?
«1345

Comments

  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    id urge you to look elsewhere ...something japanese maybe that a tad more reliable
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    MGFs are very girly!
    .....

  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 462 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Marc,

    I have been thinking exactly the same as you. Prices for MGF's make them look like very good value.

    Yes they are a bit of a hairdressers car, but if you can get the 1.8 vvc, it would seem to have a bit of poke and I expect it would be quite fun to drive.

    Let us know if you decide to get one
  • ZellowZed
    ZellowZed Posts: 8 Forumite
    No you wouldn't be mad at all.
    The MGF/TF is a fun car to drive! As rca779 says above the 1.8 vvc has pleanty of poke. I have the MG ZR 160 which has this engine and it is a surprisingly quick car. If your budget allows you won't go far wrong with a TF 160.

    Try to pick one up thats later than an 03/04 plate as these should have the new head gasket design but keep checking the coolant and look out for the heater blowing cold.

    The engines aren't as fragile as people like to make out. My ZR is one of the very early batch of ZRs built and I did suffer head gasket failure. The car was off the road for 3 days and less than 3 weeks after it happened it was blasting around Silverstone with barely a peep.

    There is a good trackday community (http://www.mgs-on-track.com) which if you do get an MG and you fancy it is always good.

    You should be able to pick even a TF up for a reasonable price. If you do enjoy the car and don't worry! You can't go far wrong.
  • alanrowell
    alanrowell Posts: 5,397 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you want cheap to run, cheap to buy then get a Mazda MX-5
  • balsingh
    balsingh Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    alanrowell wrote: »
    If you want cheap to run, cheap to buy then get a Mazda MX-5

    I always thought the Mx-5 held its value well especially since it got so many 'best roadster' awards.
    If you found my comment helpful, please click the 'Thanks' button below :T
  • Hi

    Ok, it is not a convertible, but, have you looked at Ford PUMA? The 1.7 ones have plenty of poke and revs freely and economical as well thanks to the variable cam timing.

    Whatcar? website rates the Puma with five stars as well as the Focus, MX-5, BMW M5 and Merc S-Class.
    It was the Top Gear Car of the Year 1997. Whatcar?'s best used sport car for 2001 and best sport car under £10,000 for 2004!
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 462 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    A Ford Puma????

    Now that really is a hairdresser's car!!!!!
  • Possibly :o , but the handling is extremely well and you will enjoy every bent on the road!:j

    Edit to add: The FRP is definately not a hairdresser's car, neither the Millie. So we can fit the rest with these two, can't we?

    Have a look here, you might change your mind Clicky
    And this is my favourite one, clicky
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
  • rca779
    rca779 Posts: 462 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    FRP & Millie????

    Are these different types of Puma's or are we talking about something else completely different now?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.