PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Starter Pack

Options

Comments

• Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So it's quite possible (unless of course, you had microbiological testing of the pie ;) ) that the food poisoning was caused by something you ate at breakfast.

Not sure why this is on this thread, though??

Penny. x
    Nope. I hadnt eaten any breakfast that day or anything else aside from drinking bottled water so I would be stunned if it was.

It's on this thread as someone posted about somethng out of date that made them ill - see above posts
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • angela110660
    Options
    Re the Flask. My hubby is out on the road most days and he has a metal flask which he got from an outdoor store eg Cotswold. When he comes home after work, if there is any left in the flask it is still quite hot! He has saved loads of money on drinks in the day by using it.
  • zebredy
    zebredy Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is a bit late, (only just read most of this thread) but wanted to say thanks to everyone for posting there tips..

Off to write down a list of everything in the kitchen cupboard (so I don't buy things I don't need or let things slowly go way past there sell by date) also gona get a small tin/jar for shopping money to go in (as I think we/I spend to much in one go often on things we don't always need then seem to spend more later on in the month when we run out of things we really do need, like more veg etc which leads us to spending more on shopping per month, then I think we really need too)

I'm also gona make a note of all the cleaning products I have (so I don't ever over buy again) and gona make a list of all the jobs that need doing in the flat (to put on the fridge) and I'm going to allocate each job either a daily time, or day of the week to do. I'm not lazy but get so depressed about things, (like not having a full time job, only what agency work I can get, while my hubby works 6-6 Monday - Friday,) that sometimes the walls of this flat feel like a prison and I just can't be bothered to even get out of bed till 10 some mornings, so thats when I let the house work slip :(

Sorry for rambling on and if anyone does read this, once again thanks for the great OS starters tips :)
    Matthew, Izzy, Suzie, Harry, Darwin. My husband my cats, the main things that matter in my life...
  • Lily_The_Legend
    Lily_The_Legend Posts: 16,274 Forumite
    Options
    Can anybody tell me where they get all their 'whoopsie' bargains from and what time of day? I tend to shop at Morrisons and always check the bargain shelves and chiller and there is never anything which is much of a bargain! Thanks in advance. :)
  • thewifie
    thewifie Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    I found a great way to save money is to borrow recipe books from the library, often you will find very cheap basic recipes as well as the very expensive recipes. Obviously it helps to choose the chef carefully, anyone needing quails eggs etc will probably not help, but Jamie, Hugh, Gizzi Erskine, Mrs Beeton (there are reprints containing the recipes only, updated), and the Hairy Bikers Mum knows Best book are all very good. The loans are free, what have you got to lose? Also buy a notebook, it is worth investing in a well-made one, and write down all the recipes you have tried that worked well, then when you are a little stuck you always have ideas to hand. One last thing, fresh herbs may seem like an extravagance, but once you start to use them they can really jazz up less expensive ideas. Coriander is a good one to start with, add some to any curries to jazz it up before serving. I now regularly buy basil for tomato pasta sauces and pizzas, thyme for with beef and lamb, I have rosemary and sage in the garden and they are seemingly indestructible; if you have better ingredients you can make good food for less money than you think. A warning though, cooking and eating in this way becomes addictive!
  • thewifie
    thewifie Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Also, I find shopping online for groceries helps as there are no temptations on the way round the store, I can go straight to my usuals to get them out of the way in record time, but still shop for anything new I need. The bill seems horrendous at first, but often I spend £80 to £100 today and then don't need a shop for anything(this includes milk and bread flour) for a good ten days. The delivery fee, if you shop for Tue, Wed or Thursday is only £3.50, less than my busfare, it is definitley greener, you still often find bargains as they are listed under special offers. This includes meat and fish which I buy to freeze and use as I need.
  • debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    Bumping this thread as it is never too late to go back to basics and revisit a few ideas that have fallen by the wayside in our own economy. I think I need it after this months GC!:o
  • HelenPie
    HelenPie Posts: 502 Forumite
    Options
    I've just found this thread and am inspired by some of the tips-felt it deserved a *bump*
    :j
    Debt Free By Xmas 2013 #010 £16,660.26/£16,660.26 100% paid, DFD 25/06/13! :D
    :j
  • nomorespending
    Options
    amazing thread - really inspiring!!I'm going to do a monthly meal plan right now!!
    Baby due 4th May 2013
    January grocery challenge £200
  • Use a list attached to larder, fridge, freezer, etc to show you exactly what you have, how many you have and if you need to shop it.
    Instead of buying a money diary, use your computer for it. It's free and on hand when you need it.
    Use all the money off coupons you can, even if you take a load in and only pay a couple of pound, you may look crazy to others, but they are the one's paying 100 squid and your the one handing over coupons and paying 3 squid.
    Use your slow cooker as often as poss.
    To save on electricity, keep stocked up with candles. It's not only romantic, but saves on electricity, and great thing to, you make your own candles, cost's pennys to make your own.
    Feb Grocery challenge: £120/£300 :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport