PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Starter Pack

Options

Comments

• Patchwork_Quilt
    Options

But I've had a few disasters this week. Firstly I made macaroni cheese for dinner on Wed night. I used reduced but dated 13/20/09 cheese for the sauce . My flour is dated Oct 08 and I'm trying hard to use it up and the mustard powder I know was dated 2007 as my mum and I split the tin and she still has it..I asked her to check out the date!
    So the meal itself was fine, a bit bland but i perked it up with parmesan. 2 hours later there was a rush for the loo. Me, DH and DS all had the gary glitters. DD refused point blank to eat her dinner as she is teething so she was fine.
    I'm now wondering was it the out of date flour and mustard that caused the GG's or what.

I bet it wasn't your cooking. 2 hours sounds a bit soon for that. I bet if you ask around, other people have had the same lurgi.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    May I ask which supermarket you use?

I am impressed by the 18p beans & 14p spaghetti!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • thriftlady_2
    Options
    Tremendously useful posts Notenoughcash:T I like your system;)
  • nesssie1702
    Options

But I've had a few disasters this week. Firstly I made macaroni cheese for dinner on Wed night. I used reduced but dated 13/20/09 cheese for the sauce . My flour is dated Oct 08 and I'm trying hard to use it up and the mustard powder I know was dated 2007 as my mum and I split the tin and she still has it..I asked her to check out the date!

So the meal itself was fine, a bit bland but i perked it up with parmesan. 2 hours later there was a rush for the loo. Me, DH and DS all had the gary glitters. DD refused point blank to eat her dinner as she is teething so she was fine.

I'm now wondering was it the out of date flour and mustard that caused the GG's or what. This was the only meal that we all had that was the same on Wednesday.

Your GaryGlitters are more likely to have been viral than as a result of what you ate - 2 hours after eating a meal is really quick to have diarrhoea. It tends to happen 12 - 24 hours after a meal, so what did you have the night before? If the macaroni cheese was well cooked, then that would have killed off any bugs that would have the potential to make you ill.

Hope you've recovered now though?
  • notenoughcash
    Options
    May I ask which supermarket you use?

I am impressed by the 18p beans & 14p spaghetti!

As I work part-time I am lucky enough to have a spare day mid-week that I can use to shop around (so go to Mr Ms Ts and S) and get the cheapest from each. S is within walking distance and T & M within one bus journey so no extra cost to shop around.

Any how, my local Mr S does basic tinned beans for 18p and basics spaghetti for 14p, so I often walk there with a rucksack on my back and buy a few at a time.
    Debt busting! Jan 2014 £7632.50 £7445.80
    Belly busting! Jan 2014 12st 2lb 11st 11lb
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was chez Mr S today, basics baked beans were 29p: spookily enough exactly the same as at Mr T's.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?Store=3&Product=3252
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?Store=1&Product=3201

Sorry to sound picky, I am getting quite grumpy about pricing 'coincidences' as value/basic tinned tomato is 33p in both and in Aldi. Maybe it is old age!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Fozz
    Fozz Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this useful thread!
    I started a spending diary in January and have found it to be a tremendous help. Because I don't have a car I tend to shop little and often, but never really added up what I was spending per week. It really focuses your mind when you write everything down, and if I have an expensive week I tighten my belt for the next!
    Foe example last week I spent £180, but this week only £40. Before I had the diary I would have carried on regardless this week and not cut down. I resisted going to a table top and book sale at my local library today, previously I would have gone and wasted money on stuff I don't need (have a pile of unread books!)
  • Cookie_monster_7
    Options
    That is really helpful, thanks for taking the time to do that. What do you have for lunches?:confused:

What other things have you learned from MSE that has helped you get your costs down?
  • sistercas
    sistercas Posts: 4,803 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    this is fabulous, it must have taken you ages to sort all that out. TBH it is something i need to do (itemise store cupboard) the cupboard is bulging and I rarely reach further than a few inches into it, goodness knows whats at the back:eek:
    well done you for being incredibly organised and diciplined:T
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Great thread - you really are self-disciplined! We have been using a basic 4 week plan for a while, but became somewhat bored. I need to put a bit more effort in!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family