PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Starter Pack

Options

Comments

• angelavdavis
    Options
    ....don't forget the OS Alternative Calendar containing many of the Old Style tips by month collated originally by GreenShieldStamps. Free to download and stick on your fridge!!!
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Options
    Meal plan - thereby you only need to purchase the stuff you need each week rather than wandering round like a lemon buying stuff you don't need.
    Check your cupboards/freezer for hidden food that needs using up.
    Buy Stardrops - you'll never need another cleaner!
    If you can buy white vinegar in bulk use it for fabric softner. Works the same and is better for environment etc.
    Be prepared to experiment and for some of those experiments to fall flat on their faces! I would have never touched a lentil until I started coming here. Can't say I eat loads of them but I am increasing my palate by trying new things.
    Get a slow cooker - they really are fab. Got ham cooking in mine at the mo!
    Keep hanging around OS. It's a mine of information and a real inspiration.
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • seabright
    Options
    Library - don't forget you can join a library where you live and/or where you work (assuming they're in different areas)

Meal Planning - I susbscribe to www.savingdinner.com. Something new to eat every night. About 20-30 mins to make (except slowcooker reciepes), they also provide you with a shoppping list and there are lots of different menus to choose from ( I use the Body Clutter one). There are free tester menu's too. Give it a go, it makes menu planning a doddle and is cheap to subscribe.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 21 July 2009 at 11:13AM
    Options
    notenoughcash – brilliant :T loads of really useful information there

beemuzed wrote: »
    ... We have been using a basic 4 week plan for a while, but became somewhat bored. I need to put a bit more effort in!

I’ve been using a meal plan which gives me several options for each day, eg

On Tuesday its Sausages or Bacon so the options for that day are: Sausage Toad - Sausage Casserole - Sausage egg and chips - Bangers and mash - Fidgetty pie - Cabbage Gallette - Bacon and eggs - Bacon potts and broad beans - Egg and bacon pie

Friday is Fish so: Fish and chips - HM Fish pie - HM Fish cakes - Fish fingers - Smoked haddock - Poached fish mash peas and parsley sauce

Saturdays list is all sorts of odds: Cheese and potato pie - School cheese pie - Veg stew - Cheese and lentil slice - Winter = Soup or Summer = Salad -
    Veg shepherds pie (root veg) - Butterbean casserole - Cauliflower / broccoli cheese - Jacket potato - Cheese/eggs on toast - Potato and veg bake

I can use this list for at least 6 weeks without repeating ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Try to go shopping alone as my OH and DD can almost double my weekly shopping bill if they come! Another money saver for us has been growing our own.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • frugallily
    frugallily Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Whole thread is very impressive and thought provoking. Husband is gluten free so need to adapt but am really trying to waste less now. Thanks to all and to notenoughcash especially
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Options
    Rummer wrote: »
    Try to go shopping alone as my OH and DD can almost double my weekly shopping bill if they come! Another money saver for us has been growing our own.

OH is worse than the kids....I can simply say no to the kids

I find if i'm on my own I can concentrate on looking for bargains and don't end up coming home without half the stuff I went in for
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Hello all

I am reasonably new to OS - but here are the things that worked for us

1 Dont let the OH go shopping as he wanders around - basket in hand - picking whatever he fancies off the shelf:eek:

2 Reuse the leftovers - streeechy rubber chicken etc - we even used up mondays casserole as a filling for a pie.

3. Think before you buy - whatever it is - its only a bargain if you will use it and if you need it

4. Meal planning doesnt work in our house - but making a freezer and cupboard inventory and using that to plan what we eat seems to work fine

5. Joining the Grocery challenge has made me think about what i am spending

6. Growing your own - even if its lettuce in an old patio planter - all saves cash

7. Reading the MSE forums - not been here a year yet - but seem to have picked up a lot - thanks

8. Invest wisely - there are threads on slow cooking, bread makers, yogurt makers - cant afford to go there yet but my wishlist is growing

9. Change one thing at a time - dont do it all and then fall off the wagon

Best Wishes

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Start saving clothes you would have thrown away and also tea towels bedding and so on. Then make a rag rug or quilt. Great cheap hobby and creative and the things arnt going into landfil.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Definitely shop from your cupboards or freezer before you buy any more food.Then only buy what you need not what you want.Big difference believe me,I have cut my food bill almost in half by streeeetching what I have in store already.
    Slow cooker an essential, as you can use it for so many things ,soups stews,cheaper cuts of meat, best thing I ever bought.
    Lentils ,oats for bulking out meat,
    have a starter of soup plus smaller main meal or a pudding for afters.fills you up a bit more so your main meal
    Library card to get a look at some of the great cookery books without having to buy them and best of all this site is an essential for help in saving you some cash.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure