PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Starter Pack

Options

Comments

• hart44
    hart44 Posts: 1,610 Forumite
    Options
    I love the charity shops, I have managed to buy a book called vinegar 1001 practical household uses for 99p and loads of duvet covers and material very cheap for sewing projects and I look at clothes to see if I can adapt them into something useful.

I use my slowcooker to cook all my joints (always whoopsies :D) as it just so tender.

Im trying to keep a book on OS tips as I see them so I can get better :rotfl:
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time :) and Love sewing :)
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    A calculator. Invaluable in the supermarket to work out which buy really is the best value.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • Alison_Funnell
    Options
    Seriously this thread is a prime example. Never being afraid to ask questions.

The best tool kit anyone needs.
    Put the kettle on. ;)
  • jaxx46
    jaxx46 Posts: 613 Forumite
    Options
    one thing i found when my daughter moved out. Because i was used to eking out food i didn't buy less but would freeze the extra portion (unlabelled) then once a month dh, ds & myself decide on either potatoes, rice or pasta and then pick a freezer surprise! makes for a sometimes amusing & os meal.
    Sometimes not moving backwards is as much an achievement as moving forwards is on other times. (originally posted by kidcat)

It's only a bargain if you were going to buy it anyway!
  • babyshoes
    babyshoes Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am starting quite slowly, but one thing I have started doing is to always stretch 'saucy' type meals (stews, mince etc) so there are leftovers either to freeze or take in to work for lunch.

TBH, reading the OS thread I found I was already doing a fair bit of stuff already - growing up in Africa where a lot of things were more expensive, I was already in the habit of reusing things or making do with something else... I haven't quite gotten to the stage of washing out baggies or used tinfoil yet, but may yet. Part of our problem is that the flat is just too small so I have to be ruthless about getting rid of things, not that I manage that all the time and the place gets really cluttered.
    Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
  • ladykath
    Options
    I would advise always having a look on your area's Freecycle before making new purchases as it is a great way of saving money and recycling at the same time.
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    notenoughcash – brilliant :T loads of really useful information there

I’ve been using a meal plan which gives me several options for each day, eg

On Tuesday its Sausages or Bacon so the options for that day are: Sausage Toad - Sausage Casserole - Sausage egg and chips - Bangers and mash - Fidgetty pie - Cabbage Gallette - Bacon and eggs - Bacon potts and broad beans - Egg and bacon pie

Friday is Fish so: Fish and chips - HM Fish pie - HM Fish cakes - Fish fingers - Smoked haddock - Poached fish mash peas and parsley sauce

Saturdays list is all sorts of odds: Cheese and potato pie - School cheese pie - Veg stew - Cheese and lentil slice - Winter = Soup or Summer = Salad -
    Veg shepherds pie (root veg) - Butterbean casserole - Cauliflower / broccoli cheese - Jacket potato - Cheese/eggs on toast - Potato and veg bake

I can use this list for at least 6 weeks without repeating ;)

Can I just say :D this has totally re-inspired me for menu planning! :beer: I had been doing a weekly plan (and posting here on MSE) but a couple of weeks after the holidays I just lost all incentive and couldn't be bothered - in desperate need of some inspiration. Then here it comes in the form of Rosi! Ta, and I'll get started tonight on this 'new' (to me) for the week after next.

Sorry, didn't mean to swerve off subject, but I got so excited when I read this! :rotfl:
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nessie the one and only time I have caught food poisoning was in Huddersfield after having a Hollands cheese and onion pie which as they are a reputable company we reckon they must have thawed and then refrozen them.

I ate this before the match so approx 2-2.30 ish. Watched the game and was fine, After the game at about 4.45 to 5pm ish we went into a pub before getting the train home. I went to the ladies before ordering my drink and promptly started to hurl which was then accompanied by food poisoning symptoms so bad I had to book into a local B&B/hotel as I couldnt make it the couple of hrs home on the train. I then spent the whole night shivering and zipping from loo to bath as things emerged from both ends.

My point is that this was a lot less than the 12 hrs you and other posters have given as a food poisoning or food related time scale.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    Reverbe wrote: »
    My point is that this was a lot less than the 12 hrs you and other posters have given as a food poisoning or food related time scale.

So it's quite possible (unless of course, you had microbiological testing of the pie ;) ) that the food poisoning was caused by something you ate at breakfast.

Not sure why this is on this thread, though??

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • silverchair
    Options
    This is a very good thread!

I'm new to OS so this is what I have done so far

-Make shopping lists & sticking to them
    -Dont go shopping when hungry
    Im not able to do proper weekly meal plans as I get home late after work & am too exhausted to cook or dont have time (still have work to do), so what I do instead is make a mini-meal plan so that I can do most of the cooking at the weekend, freeze it & then have it during the week
    -Batch cooking especially cheap veg soups
    -Keep checking this site.
    -Make my own cards (a useful & enjoyable hobby when I have time)
    -Visit people at home or have them over. Much cheaper than pub or restaurant meal

BTW I bought a flask for work, but unfortunately my tea is cold within the hour. Can anyone recommend a good flask to buy?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure