PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The OS Starter Pack

Options

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I keep starting all these challenges & get sidetracked, & therefore 'fail' in my own eyes. So, this month, although I started with good intentions, I have wobbled a bit, but some simple things I have stuck to.
    I cancelled most of my craft magazine subscriptions - they seem to be repeating things! - which should save me about £120 a year.
    Also, we didn't restart our daily & Sunday newspaper deliveries after our hols, saving over £3 a week; we just get one when we need it.
    Finally, I have started asking hubbie to buy odd things in supermarket when he passes - & that's all he buys - no impulse purchases for him!!
    I'm hoping to change my job soon, for fewer hours, or else pack in my main job, so I'm already being a bit tight with money in preparation, so the drop in income won't be such a shock!
    If anyone has any more helpful hints, I'd love to know.
    Ta muchly
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • toozie_2
    toozie_2 Posts: 3,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We don't own a tumble dryer, so washing has to be dried outside, or I have a line in the garage for rainy days. Only wash a full load of clothes, and use much less powder than I used to. (Always buy powder/tablets when its on offer, and stock pile) My DD2 had a skin condition when she was a baby, stopped using fabric conditioner then as it seemed to irritate her skin, never started using it after-that was 14 years ago! If you hang things out carefully, and fold them when they come in, lots of stuff does not need ironing....saving time and electric.
    :j
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Whenever you are thinking of a non essential purchase,try to think of at least 3 uses for the item,if you cant,dont buy it.
    eg.when I bought my first food processor years ago,I thought the juicer and grater would be fantastic for marmalade(they are),the blade kneads bread and I make my own pasta in it.
  • Yorkielass
    Yorkielass Posts: 2,235 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks there are some great tips here - bought the slow cooker and starting with the vinegar already :o

Going to make a real effort to cook things from stratch - that's going to be my big thing to start with :T
    Initial Mortgage January 2024 - £160,000
    Initial Mortgage free date - January 2058
    Mortgage as of 1st February 2024 - £159,134.98
    Overpayments to date - £79.62
    Current Mortgage free date - January 2058
  • caffeinehit
    Options
    Coloured card
    Fabric scraps from John Lewis or similar
    Craft knife

et voila - everything you need to make your own greetings cards. They don't need to be fancy, you can make them while watching telly and indulge your creative urges at the same time. Saves a fortune on buying them from Paperchase as well.
  • bluemoon_3
    Options
    Weekly menu plans! They make such a difference to the food bill, because you know what you need to buy, rather than picking up random things.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 - #1742 :j
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Hey

My advice would be to:

Use vinegar for cleaning.
    Routine for everything
    Buy a slow cooker
    Have a look at what food you already have and meal plan
    Cook everything from scratch
    Freeze leftovers or use up next day
    Flask-sometimes make a flask of coffee up and use throughout day to save on kettle electric
    Bake HM cakes & biscuits

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Blink_2
    Options
    This post couldn't have come at a better time.

I have just moved into my first house with my boyfriend after 6 (very long) months of renovations. Having spent much more than we planned, I now need to save money wherever possible.

I tried to remember some of the things I read on here when I was cleaning and moving in.

I thought to myself the other day that it would takes ages to wade through all these wanderful posts to find things suitable so this particular post is great for me.

Thanks guys.
  • Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh this really is a good post! I have to admit that i am awful with money, (well not so much me, more my boyfriend) and its awful when u look back at your statements and see what ridiculous amounts of money have gone where.
    I will be doing the 'do i realllly need this?' thing from now on!
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • madfrenchgirl
    Options
    a bit of self publicity here, but I have created a monthly food planner... Squeaky has it in its files!
    "Don't cry, Don't Raise your Eye
    It's only teenage wasteland"
    The Who - Baba O'Riley
    Who's Next (1971)

RIP Keith Moon
    RIP John Entwistle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income