PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

egg substitute

Options

Comments

• Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    LJM wrote: »
    maybe its me but i seem to remember being told that in the war they used to replace the egg with vinegar ????

I think you may have mis-remembered that; replacing an egg with an equivalent amout of vinegar will make the cake :eek:

You can use a small amount of vinegar in cakes, which will react with the raising agent (bicarb) releasing carbon dioxide to assist rising :D

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the other day I used one tablespoon of vinegar in place of one egg in a cake - there were 3 other eggs in the cake though. I was worried it would taste odd, but there was no vinegary taste and the cake rose well.
    weaving through the chaos...
  • HappyinSpain
    Options
    I'm allergic to eggs and want to make some Lemon Curd but all of the recipes that I've found contain eggs. I've looked on the Vegan Society website for a recipe but cant find any.

I've thought that perhaps I could just leave the eggs out but hate waste and dont wont jars of it to end in the bin! Has anyone any ideas please?
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 6 March 2010 at 7:06PM
    Options

I've thought that perhaps I could just leave the eggs out but hate waste and dont wont jars of it to end in the bin! Has anyone any ideas please?
    You can't just leave the eggs out. You will end up with a mixture of butter, lemon and sugar.

This is wartime recipe which is supposed to be very good, but I don't know where you'd get marrow at this time of year.
  • HappyinSpain
    Options
    Thank you 'Thriftlady', the recipe in your link also suggested pumpkin as an alternative - I've noticed butternut squash in our supermarkets so am thinking about improvising with that. Do you think it would work as well as marrow or perhaps a bit too sweet?
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    A courgette is a small marrow so you can substitute with courgette too, I think. I have seen marrows in the market so perhaps there are some around (although of course they will not be grown in the UK at this time of the year).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Murrell
    Murrell Posts: 520 Forumite
    Options
    I've made marrow lemon curd before and it was lovely. Should make it again, that was about 10 years ago! I must of used margarine or had a recipe without as I don't eat dairy either, because I am vegan.

Sandra
  • HappyinSpain
    Options
    Thought I'd just you know that I have now made my Lemon Curd, I adapted a recipe that substituted cornflour for the eggs. Its turned out really good, here's the ingredients I used:

60 gr butter
    120 gr sugar
    2.5 tbsp cornflour mixed with a little water or juice
    Zest and juice of a huge lemon (mine weighed just over 1lb)

The lemon was really quite sweet so 120gr sugar was sufficient, it was really quick to make and filled a standard size jam jar.
  • emilyka
    emilyka Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    My mum used to make a yoghurt cake which had no eggs, I believe it was one from a wartime cookbook but theres a vast array if you google yoghurt cakes :-)
    [STRIKE]Saving for a deposit on a flat[/STRIKE]
    :j
    Had offer accepted 21/10/2011
    Survey completed 25/10/2011
    Mortgage offer accepted 22/11/2011
  • laloopi
    laloopi Posts: 122 Forumite
    Options
    Was wondering if anyone uses gram flour as an egg substitute in baking? I've seen it as a vegan suggestion, but it would save money as well!

If so, what proportions of flour and water do you use? I've seen suggestions ranging from a tablespoon to a quarter of a cup of each!
    Must get organised and rejoin grocery challenge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure