PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

egg substitute

I have been doing my own baking lately in an attempt to cut down on grocery spending and seem to be using up a lot of eggs as a result.

I usually buy free range so that bumps up the cost even more and I am now looking round for a cheap ('cheep cheep'! sorry!) source of eggs.

I came across this egg substitute http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/316644_Orgran_No_Egg_200g__equal_to_66_eggs_.html and wondered if anyone had tried it, apparently its the equivalent of 66 eggs for £2.19.

I have looked at a couple of slimmers recipes and realised that they don't use eggs either. Any info would be great! Many thanks and apologies for the lame chuck joke!
Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
Total=£29,100
Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've been baking egg-free cakes and biscuits for 7 years now after my dd's head swelled to the size of a rugby ball after eating egg for the first time:rolleyes: She can tolerate it in a cake now but I've grown used to egg-free baking.

I have never tried a substitute except soya flour. To use soya flour (available from health food shops) simply replace each egg with 1 heaped tbsp of soya flour + 1 tbsp water.

I find it best and cheapest to just use recipes that don't require eggs. Favourites are; eggless chocolate buns (on this thread post 3), Norfolk vinegar cake which is on this thread post 3 again. Post 6 has my muffin recipe which I make nearly every week without eggs. I make a batch of muffin mix in a traybake tin quite often and cut up.

Biscuits I make regularly are flapjacks, fork biscuits and Anzac biscuits.

Another good source of eggless recipes is to be found by googling 'vegan cakes' ;)

HTH
  • Jammygal
    Jammygal Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks so much for this thriftlady, my ds also has egg (and nut/seed) allergy so I like you, try and make my own.
    Do you have any more ideas for foolproof nice tasting birthday cakes / fairy cakes??? DD and DS both have bdays in the next few weeks;)
    I do already use a couple of recipes but am always looking to broaden my collection:D
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Jammygirl :) -my sympathies to you, my daughter also has an allergy to peanut and pinenut as well as to eggs.

For fairy cakes I find the chocolate bun recipe works well. Obviously you can ice them or melt a bit of chocolate over them (Kinnerton do a completely nut-free dark choc). I've tried it without the cocoa-replacing the amount with more flour and added sultanas.

For a big cake the chocolate bun mixture works well. I think the whole amount will make enough for two 7 inch sandwich cakes. You can also use the muffin mixture in a sandwich tin.
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    A wartime tip was to use vinegar. I have never totally done this but for a recipe using 2 eggs I have used 1 and a splosh of vinegar. The mixture looks curdled but it still rises and tastes OK.

Sorry I am not too good at measures. I usually use "rack o' ee" untill it looks OK.
  • Jammygal
    Jammygal Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    thriftlady wrote: »
    Hi Jammygirl :) -my sympathies to you, my daughter also has an allergy to peanut and pinenut as well as to eggs.

For fairy cakes I find the chocolate bun recipe works well. Obviously you can ice them or melt a bit of chocolate over them (Kinnerton do a completely nut-free dark choc). I've tried it without the cocoa-replacing the amount with more flour and added sultanas.

For a big cake the chocolate bun mixture works well. I think the whole amount will make enough for two 7 inch sandwich cakes. You can also use the muffin mixture in a sandwich tin.

Thanks Thriftlady, will give these buns a go today.....;) I sometimes use the choc you are talking about and sometimes giant choc buttons:D
  • Thanks for the tips everyone, I've made 3 cakes and substituted a banana for egg in one of them and its lovely. I have bought some soya flour today so next time I bake, I'll try it.
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • 23rdspiral
    23rdspiral Posts: 1,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Xmas Saver!
    hi everyone, i've searched but can't find what feels like a mythical reference i saw on here for using a special type of flour instead of egg or oil in cake recipies.

I'm not sure about using a precious egg just for a cake, and have had great success with some eggless vegan recipies i've used.

Could someone help? Or even just point me to the right place to look? I think it was gram flour (chickpea flour) or soya flour, but i can't remember. Thanks!
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    One heaped tbsp of soya flour and one tbsp of water are supposed to be a substitute for an egg in baking. I have never tried it myself, so I can't tell you if it works though....
  • I've used a tablespoon of veg oil and a few drops of milk (maybe a teaspoon) instead of an egg in a sponge recipe. Not sure how this would work in say pancakes though.
    Other ideas here.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • You can get egg substitute powder in health food shops.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure