Jewellery making anyone??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Crafting
746 replies 81.4K views

Replies

• sweetpeas_2sweetpeas_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Those pics are all lovely that you have all posted. you should be so proud of yourselves.
    I'm really going to have a dabble when I get back off holiday. Quite giddy about it, fancied having a go for a while.

xxx
  • MEGANEMEGANE Forumite
    230 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the info and links Angie and Vicks - thinks I may be tempted to go and have a look anyway.
    thanks again

OH NO!! just realised that is weekend we are away for DP's birthday - Oh well there will be others I'm sure.
  • The_Good_FairyThe_Good_Fairy Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Jo I love your stuff! The idea of a long necklace than be used like a bundle of bracelets is fab, forgive me if I steal it :D

Angie, the show is at my sons school, its called a Pimms and Pamper evening, it draws a big crowd, you should come along :D PM me if you want details, we are in Horfield, not sure how near you are? Did you find some round nose pliers? If you want them fast you could use Hobbycraft or John Lewis. If not there are loads on Ebay and similar. Have you seen that bead shop on The Triangle? Its quite expensive for some stuff, but they are ok for findings and advice, there's also one on Gloucester Rd, you know where The Arches are?

I got some glass beads from Etsy, I've already shown them on another thread but they are so gorgeous I'm going to show off again :D

Picture027.jpg
    Picture020.jpg
    Picture022.jpg

I gave her my colour theme and she made the top 2, I grabbed the matching frogs from her Christmas sale :D These are just for me, I'll never be able to part with them lol

Have you all been on Etsy? Its amazing for beads etc. Have a look http://www.etsy.com/index.php
    "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."- Samuel Butler
  • vicks276 wrote: »
    Sorry Megane I had seen a bead show advertised somewhere and thought it was this. Now I can't find the info for the Bolton bead show - anyone else know when it is?

Vicks - I have put the details above your post!!!! It's in May.
  • Sarah - I'm in Downend!!!!

Oh I never knew there were bead shops by the Arches or at the Triangle. I will have to have a look.

I love those frog beads, trouble is you are never ever gonna want to give them to anyone no matter how special a person heehehe!!!

I think I will get the pliers on ebay, I have some but the ends are not quite small and round enough to give me perfect loops!!!
  • vicks276vicks276 Forumite
    834 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Good Fairy do you have a link to the seller you used for those beads on etsy? all i get is handmade jewellery when i type in beads/handmade beads/lampwork beads etc...

Angie - its not that show - it is another one specifically for beads, something along the lines of Great Big Bead Show or something but cant track it down. I'm going to have a look through my beading mags to see if I can find it.
    :heart2: Stuff & Thangs :heart2:
  • sweetpeas_2sweetpeas_2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Can someone please explain memory wire to me? This is going to sound THICK (!), but, I've been on Jilly beads and it says that it comes in loops. I take it the loops do have a gap in them to put the beads on?! Excuse my silly questions, but as I said- I am a total novice!

What would be the easiest thing for me to have a go at without going mad on buying loads and loads of supplies in for?
    The earrings look easy to make. What would I need to start of making these? The earwires, some of the dangly bits (can't remember the name now I'm sorry). How do I fancy the fancy dangly bits to the ear wires? I'm so confused please help me someone!

Nic x
  • Absolutely I do.....

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5146764

She was very nice and fast too. You might do better if you search lampwork supplies. Also if you click on buy, there a few different ways to find things. You can search by colour which is good, or pounce on shops that have recently sold something. I get lost for hours on there :D

Angie, not far then :) Beware of those shops, you'll spend a fortune! :D
    You can get those pliers that are tiny at the end widening as they go, so then you only need one pair, you just move up the nose if you need to. Have you used crimp beads yet? The round nose pliers are great for those.
    "The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too."- Samuel Butler
  • noggin wrote: »
    Can someone please explain memory wire to me? This is going to sound THICK (!), but, I've been on Jilly beads and it says that it comes in loops. I take it the loops do have a gap in them to put the beads on?! Excuse my silly questions, but as I said- I am a total novice!

What would be the easiest thing for me to have a go at without going mad on buying loads and loads of supplies in for?
    The earrings look easy to make. What would I need to start of making these? The earwires, some of the dangly bits (can't remember the name now I'm sorry). How do I fancy the fancy dangly bits to the ear wires? I'm so confused please help me someone!

Nic x

Hi Nic

You will need a headpin, beads, ear wire and pliers. I had a look on youtube as there are loads of instruction videos on there. This one is quite a simple instruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl3Y8SkafEc&feature=related

If this is no good, do a search on there for earring making and you should get loads!! I think you will find it easier to see someone else doing it in the beginning.

Good luck!
  • Got some great long thin round nosed pliers today for 90p!!!! They are great, just tried them out and they make so much difference to my loops on earrings. They aren't any flash brand but for now they will do me fine!!!! Got them at a cheapy shop in Bristol called 'What'.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals