Cheap Smell-alikes - Cheaper alternatives to Expensive Perfumes

edited 12 September 2013 at 10:55PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
1.1K replies 735.5K views

Replies

• So regarding Perfume Parlour, I came here to make a review from what I bought, since I found the site here once I was searching at the internet for perfume dupes.
    There are 3 things considered.
    1. Similarity of the original: yes, in this one PP can score 90% since some of the oils are identical to the real thing (Poeme, Womanity, 1881 are among my favorite).
    2. Longevity: In this one also PP scores well. You can smell this oils for hours.
    3. Sillage-Projection (how much others can smell your perfume): this is the biggest minus of PP and the reason that I won't order again. I am on the type of persons who like others to be able to smell their perfumes. PP's oils don't have any sillage at all. I had the suspicion since noone was complimeting me for my perfume, but then I tested it. I gave some on my friend to put. She put a generous ammount but only after I went next to her neck I could smell it. Then, I have a friend who really despises any kind of scent and perfume. I put like 1/3 of this little bottle and I went and asked him: how do I smell? he said: fine. Do I smell of something? He tried to smell, but he said no!!
    For me this is a real downside, so I decided to go for Milton Lloyd's dupes. The majority of them are very spot on with a good longeity and projection.
    If you don't mind about the sillage and projection, then PP is a good choice. Their service is also very good.

PS: I used the oils in a lot of ways, after shower, using body lotion but still nothing. I am the only one who can smell them.
  • macaronimacaroni Forumite
    444 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I havent tried PP myself but I can totally agree with the longevity & projection of Milton Lloyd's scents. Summertime, a dupe for Flowerbomb lasts all day plus some with only the lightest of sprays :)
    :hello:
  • Ive not had a problem with PP not smelling, infact my 8 year old pinched my vera wang princess oil when we were going out shopping for the day and I was going mad cos all I could smell was that perfume on her lol and it was lovely!! All the ladies I work with love my perfume oils and have asked me to order for them when I place another order, but I might have to look at Milton Lloyds now :D
  • RobieRobie Forumite
    150 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    bublegum wrote: »
    So regarding Perfume Parlour, I came here to make a review from what I bought, since I found the site here once I was searching at the internet for perfume dupes.
    There are 3 things considered.
    1. Similarity of the original: yes, in this one PP can score 90% since some of the oils are identical to the real thing (Poeme, Womanity, 1881 are among my favorite).
    2. Longevity: In this one also PP scores well. You can smell this oils for hours.
    3. Sillage-Projection (how much others can smell your perfume): this is the biggest minus of PP and the reason that I won't order again. I am on the type of persons who like others to be able to smell their perfumes. PP's oils don't have any sillage at all. I had the suspicion since noone was complimeting me for my perfume, but then I tested it. I gave some on my friend to put. She put a generous ammount but only after I went next to her neck I could smell it. Then, I have a friend who really despises any kind of scent and perfume. I put like 1/3 of this little bottle and I went and asked him: how do I smell? he said: fine. Do I smell of something? He tried to smell, but he said no!!
    For me this is a real downside, so I decided to go for Milton Lloyd's dupes. The majority of them are very spot on with a good longeity and projection.
    If you don't mind about the sillage and projection, then PP is a good choice. Their service is also very good.

PS: I used the oils in a lot of ways, after shower, using body lotion but still nothing. I am the only one who can smell them.

I agree with 100% here. I have very similar story. The sillage is terrible. I too have gone to Milton Lloyd.
  • FebruarycatFebruarycat Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Robie wrote: »
    I agree with 100% here. I have very similar story. The sillage is terrible. I too have gone to Milton Lloyd.

I'm the opposite when I wear PP oils I have had loads of compliments on what perfume I'm wearing, and when I wear the other perfumes no one says anything :)
    OnePoll = £25 18/10/19 £25 6/7/19
    Pureprofile = £25.00 16/3/19
    PanelOpinion = £10.59 4.1.19 - £10.35 19/9/19
  • Hi all

So I read the article about smell alike scents and found this thread. 3 days later and I've read the whole thing!

Just placed my first order with Perfume Parlour.I mixed up with 13ml sprays and a couple 3ml rollers, I ordered a couple I know so I can try to compare how close they are. My main concern is sillage as Ive seen many comments about the oils not projecting well but I guess if I like the oils I will then know its worth investing in the sprays so it saves wasting money.

13ml-Armani she
    13ml-Armani code ultimate for him
    13ml-Lady million
    3ml roller-ralph lauren romance, and versace bright crystal

My order should arrive in a few days will let you all know how I get on

Thanks to OP
  • Okay I cannot praise Perfume Parlour enough and I am now a new and happy customer!

I ordered very late Sunday night got an email Monday saying my order was complete. I emailed them Tuesday at 4pm to ask if the order was coming 1st, 2nd class or recorded so I knew whether I needed to stay in for the postman. I got a reply this morning (Wednesday) at 10am saying my order was sent first class on Monday. Midday the order arrived. So excellent turnaround time, excellent service/communication now on to the fragrances.

I could not test them on me as I had already applied another perfume today so I enlisted my many children lol.

Armani si spray-Cant tell it apart from the original which I tested from Boots just yesterday monster projection just like the real thing too

Lady Million spray-I have never owned the original but fragrance is beautiful

Armani code ultimate spray-My son loved it but I cant say if its a likeness as we havent had the original before

Roll on 3ml Versace Bright Crystal-Smells exactly the same and Im wearing it today so I can vouch for that

Romance-Not able to apply it to totally vouch for it but defo seemed very similar

Cant wait to buy presents for friends of their favourites and see if I can fool them by making them close their eyes before spraying
  • Discovered perfume parlour August 2014 and have probably spent £300 on sprays and oils. My favourite fragrances are
    1. Samsara -Gurlain
    2. Hypnose- Lancôme
    3. Baby powder
    4. Dune
    5. All of estee lauder fragrances
    6. Davidoff coolwater woman
    7. All of the women`s Christian Dior fragrances
    But I have received a few bummers from perfume shop, most recently I ordered 3 36mls of ( femineens-- Amazing graces--Musk pure for women and they didn't smell of anything .
    I have contacted them about this and stated I want to return them because I am so disappointed 3 sprays costing £21.60 that smell of nothing totally unacceptable..
  • KathariKathari Forumite
    5 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've had a look at the Milton Lloyd website (and ordered a couple!) after reading this thread.

Is there an updated list of the fragrances they have available now?
  • RobieRobie Forumite
    150 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hope someone can help - Sofababe are you on your sofa ;-).

I am looking for a perfume for my wife which has longevity and good silage. Not sure I would know if I went in the shops and tried them.

She uses different types of perfumes and is not rooted to one type. She doesn't like anything too sweet or retro style.

Perhaps, someone can suggest few that I could try at the shop before buying her one.

Thanks.
    Robie