We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Want to plant potatoes now. Help please!!!

Comments

• soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The name is made up from the from the first letter in our names i.e. OH DS DD and me. I often wonder if people might think I'm a reformed alcoholic - 'sober'!!
  • beccatt
    beccatt Posts: 98 Forumite
    Some of the old potatoes I threw in the compost bin have sprouted and I've now got foot-high potato plants in there! Am I safe to transplant them into another container and eat them? They were mostly supermarket potatoes.
    Thanks!!
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,244 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Can't see why not! They should be lovely...make sure they've got plenty of depth to grow down into. They probably started sprouting before being binned into lovely compost!

I can remember my grandad growing spuds in an old galvanised bin in his back yard as they had no garden.....they were lovely (but time may have clouded my memories as I was only about 6!)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • Potatos do that. So do mushrooms and tomatos. They haven't killed me........yet.
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • flufff
    flufff Posts: 899 Forumite
    First Post
    Have a handful of potatoes that have sprouted.If I was to plant in containers firstly would they crop this year or is to late in the season?Also how would i know they were ready and how long does it take approx.Many thanks
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    According to the site in the link below you should be OK because they're saying 13 to 17 weeks:-

Growing potatoes
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    They are ready when they have flowered and then all the foliage has died back.
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    squeaky wrote:
    According to the site in the link below you should be OK because they're saying 13 to 17 weeks:-

Growing potatoes

Thanks for the info Squeaky:T , we are growing our first spuds this year and weren't sure if we were doing it right but from what it says here we are!:j
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • Sharra
    Sharra Posts: 751 Forumite
    I had to share my best money saving so far - when we moved we emptied our old compost bin onto our new garden and found some sprouting potatoes. My OH decided to see what would happen and planted them, just in the dirt, we didn't do anythng else with them except water them. We had some cool looking plants from them - I was happy with just that. But yesterday he dug up a carrier bag full of spuds!
    I've got the bug now and def want to have a go at growing them properly now :)
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Wow! Well done, what a bonus :j . I often find spuds starting to sprout, or sometimes ones that taste a bit old and go mushy when boiling, so in future I will sling them in the back garden flowerbeds and see what happens! :)
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport