The Great ‘how to win at hotel bidding websites’ Hunt

Comments

• blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    josie wrote: »
    But will def look at this for London or another UK city.

Going to Leamington Spa over Bank Hol weekend, but looking at the pricline site it just seems to be cities for the name your price thing, is that correct?

Thanks

The smaller towns in England either don't have many chain hotels or the ones that are there do not need an 'opaque' provider to fill their rooms.

Priceline is not the be all and end all in saving money on Hotels (especially in the UK).
    Laterooms or Lastminute can be better.
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    dmg24 wrote: »
    I am staying at:

Boston

24 - 27 Westin Copley Square £55 per night
    27 - 29 Marriott Copley Square £55 per night

New York

29 - 01/05 Millenium Broadway £86 per night

These are all 4* and as central as you could possibly be, and I am going peak season. I don't know about the Boston hotels, but I would expect that you could get cheaper than that in NY for your dates. Also there are taxes on top of those prices, which you need to be aware of if you book hotels in the States independently.

The above are all through Priceline, I didn't really find any bargains through Hotwire x

Thanks for that. The US Open is on in New York when we're going, so may be classed as peak too. Hadn't realised about the tax, so will bear that in mind too. :beer:
  • Bengt
    Bengt Posts: 144 Forumite
    I have used Priceline.com a couple of times:
    London Heathrow (Sheraton Skyline)
    Paris (Mercur Eiffel Tower)
    Amsterdam (Sheraton at Schipol)
    Budapest (Art'otel)

Everytime the hotels have been good (I have choosen 4* and 5* and also been careful about which zones I have tried) and the prices really low. I have used www.biddingfortravel.com and www.betterbidding.com to research possible bid levels before bidding.
    But I must say that Blindman's post (which I read a couple of weeks ago) is THE Priceline tutorial and covers practically everything. Thank you! It took me hours to gain the same knowledge from other sources.
  • blindman
    Bengt wrote: »
    But I must say that Blindman's post (which I read a couple of weeks ago) is THE Priceline tutorial and covers practically everything. Thank you! It took me hours to gain the same knowledge from other sources.

Tell me what I missed and I'll happily add it.
  • This is a fascinating thread! Am just about to read Blindman's tutorial. I normally use Hotelclub, or Ratestogo if last minute,and check out reviews on Tripadvisor.

Does anyone have any tips for Copenhagen as I'm finding hotels there are fairly pricey? We're arriving 27th and leaving 31st May. Flying to Berlin for a few days and then 29 Euro flights each with Air Berlin (incl taxes) from Berlin to Copenhagen.
  • blindman
    List of previously won hotels for Copenhagen
  • We booked the Marriott Hotel in central Sydney for the bargain price of £70 saving £41 on the rack rate!
  • Had several experiences of Priceline in the past few months, first one was two nights at the Holiday Inn Express in Manchester, just outside the City Centre for 60 pounds for my first bid, and I'm staying there on a Saturday night in June for 22 quid!

Last night, booked the 4 star Sheraton Hotel in Brussels for 35 quid a night plus taxes, they have the world's longest breakfast buffet there, serving until 2pm on Saturday and Sunday afternoon!!
  • There is a UK version of the site

www.priceline.co.uk Then click on Name your own price

The inventory is the same as the US site and all prices are in Sterling , as a rule of thumb just half the biddingfortravel.com rates . I have found that the rates are a fair conversion i.e a win at $100 on the us site would be approximately £50 on the UK site . One downside is that you must increase your bids by a minimum of £1 whereas its only $1 on the US site.
    :T

thanks for above going to try my luck now for 2 nights in Amsterdam fingers crossed eh!:beer:
  • blindman
    :T

thanks for above going to try my luck now for 2 nights in Amsterdam fingers crossed eh!:beer:

So how did you get on?

Hope you did the research before bidding;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure