The Great ‘how to win at hotel bidding websites’ Hunt

Comments

• Ok think i'm becoming a priceline convert....:T.

Let you know where i get in Amsterdam..:beer:
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Ok think i'm becoming a priceline convert....:T.

Let you know where i get in Amsterdam..:beer:

Glad that people are getting bargains using Priceline.

Do not forget though to post the winning bids at either Betterbidding or

Biddingfortravel as it is the history of winning bids and Hotels won that is the key to the success for all users.
  • jezza2412
    jezza2412 Posts: 238 Forumite
    Lots of success stories so far, but are there (m)any examples of winning bids where the hotel has turned out to be a real disappointment?
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    jezza2412 wrote: »
    Lots of success stories so far, but are there (m)any examples of winning bids where the hotel has turned out to be a real disappointment?
    Only once, in Paris last year. We got a hotel which had received plenty of mixed reviews on Trip Advisor but we went with an open mind. The first 2 nights were absolutely fine but on our last night, the top-floor swimming pool began leaking into our room! The review I posted on Trip Advisor can be found HERE.

Otherwise, I've been very pleased with hotels won on Priceline.
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    dmg24 wrote: »
    You don't say where you are travelling from, but as it is Virgin I'll assume LHR or LGW. You can currently get direct flights with American Airlines or Delta from LHR for just under £350 on the noted dates.

It is still early to be booking for late August, so I would be tempted to hold off for a while (though I can't guarantee the flights will go down!).

I got my flight direct from Delta, it was £150 not £250, and it was a pricing error that they chose to honour! x

We live in the Derbyshire, but the best deals seem to be from London, so it's all the same which London airport we go from. Manchester would be best, but that much more expensive to mean it's cheaper to make the trip to London. Saw the ones for £346, but poor flight times as we want a.m. flight going out and mid evening 9pm onwards coming back to maximise time out there, and prepared to pay a bit more for this.

We flew Delta last time, but with airmiles from MAN and it was excellent, but can't manage to save enough in time to go again 12 months later - well, only enough for one flight and two of us going! Unless we do that and split the cost of the other one, which might be a thought...

But then it looks like we'd be looking at around £600 as a package and if it's £350 for a flight can't see me getting a hotel for much less than £250 even on priceline, so think I'll prob just stick with Expedia.

But will def look at this for London or another UK city.

Going to Leamington Spa over Bank Hol weekend, but looking at the pricline site it just seems to be cities for the name your price thing, is that correct?

Thanks
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    josie wrote: »
    We live in the Derbyshire, but the best deals seem to be from London, so it's all the same which London airport we go from. Manchester would be best, but that much more expensive to mean it's cheaper to make the trip to London. Saw the ones for £346, but poor flight times as we want a.m. flight going out and mid evening 9pm onwards coming back to maximise time out there, and prepared to pay a bit more for this.

We flew Delta last time, but with airmiles from MAN and it was excellent, but can't manage to save enough in time to go again 12 months later - well, only enough for one flight and two of us going! Unless we do that and split the cost of the other one, which might be a thought...

But then it looks like we'd be looking at around £600 as a package and if it's £350 for a flight can't see me getting a hotel for much less than £250 even on priceline, so think I'll prob just stick with Expedia.

But will def look at this for London or another UK city.

Going to Leamington Spa over Bank Hol weekend, but looking at the pricline site it just seems to be cities for the name your price thing, is that correct?

Thanks

But it isn't £250 for the hotel, it is £250 each, so £500!

There were definitely flights for the times you have described, I double checked because you had mentioned it in your earlier post. Have a look at www.kayak.co.uk, it allows you to narrow the times that are acceptable to you.

I still think that £1200 is an awful lot for the dates that you are going, I would hold off for a while.

PS My £150 flight is from MAN ... 36 hours and I'll be at the airport! ;) x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • M4RKM
    M4RKM Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

it is the last 12 hours that just drag and drag and drag...

you won't be able to sleep!!
    :p

Have Fun!
  • josie
    josie Posts: 3,106 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    But it isn't £250 for the hotel, it is £250 each, so £500!

There were definitely flights for the times you have described, I double checked because you had mentioned it in your earlier post. Have a look at www.kayak.co.uk, it allows you to narrow the times that are acceptable to you.

I still think that £1200 is an awful lot for the dates that you are going, I would hold off for a while.

Good point! Thanks for the kayak tip - will give it a go.

Now I'm just jealous that you're going now - have a fab time! Where are you staying? Did you get it priceline/hotwire and how much for, if you don't mind me asking?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    josie wrote: »
    Good point! Thanks for the kayak tip - will give it a go.

Now I'm just jealous that you're going now - have a fab time! Where are you staying? Did you get it priceline/hotwire and how much for, if you don't mind me asking?

I am staying at:

Boston

24 - 27 Westin Copley Square £55 per night
    27 - 29 Marriott Copley Square £55 per night

New York

29 - 01/05 Millenium Broadway £86 per night

These are all 4* and as central as you could possibly be, and I am going peak season. I don't know about the Boston hotels, but I would expect that you could get cheaper than that in NY for your dates. Also there are taxes on top of those prices, which you need to be aware of if you book hotels in the States independently.

The above are all through Priceline, I didn't really find any bargains through Hotwire x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    jezza2412 wrote: »

Have a look at the sites I (keep on) mentioning in my first post.

Both have Hotel reviews from users who have stayed following a priceline or hotwire win.

There are some 'dodgy' hotels out there BUT with proper research and planning these can mostly be avoided or at least you will be forewarned.

Did you read either the priceline or Hotwire guide?

Personnally I have not had a 'bad' hotel and have only been surprised twice with the outcome on either PL or Hotwire. Both 'nice' surprises too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure