PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to do with oodles of leeks?

Options

Comments

• Whitefiver
    Whitefiver Posts: 688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,

Leeks are very nice cleaned, sliced and microwaved in a covered glass bowl with a tablespoon of water and a good knob of butter.

Regards,

White/
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MIRRY wrote:
    fry leeks and mushrooms in olive oil and when cooked add 1 pint of water with a vegtable stock cube.Then add a tin of butter beans. cook together for approx 20 mins and serve with rice.

You've just given me the perfect idea of what to make for my dinner, thanks! :D

Actually, thinking about it, I could turn it into a risotto :drool: :j
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Reserve the very top of the green ends and use them in a stock. Ideally, you want some of the white part in a stock ... but don't waste the green ends. They will really add "oomph" to any stock, but especially chicken :D
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Discard the outer layer of the leek, wash well under the tap and pat dry, take a knife and split the leek but do not cut right through, open them out and put cut side down into a dish, salt and pepper and a little chicken or veg stock, cover with foil and cook at the same time as your meat in a moderate oven for about 45 minutes, use the liquor with a little cornflour to make a white sauce and pour over the leeks before serving....... braised leeks, you can also serve them with a rich cheese or cream sauce..... delicious, also good with a sauce made with grain mustard, if you are not sure if they are cooked prod them with a knife the knife should slip through easily, but make sure you do not cook them too long so they go soggy.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that tootles, I might just do that with the two I have left tomorrow, and maybe add some broccoli as that goes well with cheese sauce, and I suppose I should do a nice lean piece of fish to balance it up a bit too LOL! :D

What with that and the leek/mushroom risotto I've just stuffed down my neck ... yum! :drool: ... I'll be sticking to plain salads all next week :rotfl:
    ~

• tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    CQ,

We have just had salmon cooked in white wine with leek and fennel seeds for supper, pity you couldn't come for supper.

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • Curry_Queen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tootles wrote:
    CQ,

We have just had salmon cooked in white wine with leek and fennel seeds for supper, pity you couldn't come for supper.

MMMMmmmmm that sounds delicious!!! :drool:
    ~

• shammyjack
    shammyjack Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Savoury Leeks.

Simply trim a little of the root end off and any tired looking green .
    Place on a board , take a sharp knife and starting and stopping 1 inch from each end cut right through - turn 90 degrees and repeat.
    Stand on root end and press firmly on the green end so it opens out like a paper lantern and then sprinle fresh or dried sage inside - allow to close up and microwave ,steam or roast

Delicious served with cheese sauce or topped with cheese and browned under the grill !

shammy
  • dora37
    dora37 Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Options
    Just bought some and I have never prepared them before....a little help please!

Thanks
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I just top and tail, slice down the middle and then cut them into approx 1-2cm chunks, throw them in a colander and rinse under the tap! I cook them lightly in a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and then stir in some cheese sauce - mmmmm :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure