PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you have on your christmas day menu

Options

Comments

• bargainaddict
    Options
    My hubby doesn't get out of bed till he's opened his stocking and eaten the jelly babies (has to be bassetts) our youngest has bought him! then its up for normal breakfast of tea/cereal/toast. Off to Church leaving the chicken roasting slowly. We don't like turkey. Have all the usual trimmings but ALWAYS hm yorkshires, daughter veggie so it fills her plate up. I think a roast is naked without yorkshires! Pudding is something light like a vienetta. still got a christmas pud in the cupboard from last year.

Tea is whatever we feel like and is ready at hand in the fridge, usually involves salad and cold meat or prawns etc. Not forgetting generous amounts of chocolate throughout the day.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Homemade gravy. I haven't made this for over 15 years (I love instant). However a few sundays ago I had run of instant and couldn't remember how to make proper gravy. Please can someone enlighten me.

Vaguely remember hot juices from meat in pan on hob - then add flour and veg. juices but tasted like something (well a lot) missing. It wasn't salt as I don't cook with it.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It will be salt - you say you don't cook with it, but you are using instant gravy - check the packaging!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know salt is in the instant stuff but the gravy I made needed more than salt to help it;) It was pale, fat, greasy and floury.:eek:
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    When I lived at home it was a cooked breakfast and then turkey and all the trimmings.

Now it's more like...coffee and stockings.....coffee and under the tree pressies, coffee and family pressies. This year we'll be on our own with DD's for the 2nd year (can't wait) we're having a pj day, we're cooking a turkey and a pot roast beef on xmas eve and we'll either do roast pots and the trimmings or chips...depending on what we all fancy. We won't bother with tea.....can't ever remember eating tea on xmas day.......once the kids are in bed it will be a nice bottle of wine and a delve into what ever sweets we've been given.

It's one of those days that I think needs to be spent with the kids - we devote the entire day to them and their pressies......that's what christmas means to me.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • greenlogo
    greenlogo Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    Poppy - it sounds like you didn't brown off the flour in the fat enough before adding the liquid, it should be really well cooked off or you'll get the separate flour/fat tastes rather than the nummy gravy taste :) - if you keep stirring it it can go really quite dark brown before it would burn, and it should definitley be quite a lot darker than when you started.

I always go back to my Mum and Dad's for Christmas, but it's me that insists it's always the same (it's not Christmas otherwise, is it?!) and we have:

breakfast
    Bucksfizz/fresh orange (I'm not a fan of Champagne..)
    Little salmon nibbly bits

Lunch
    Soup and a sandwich
    or a bacon roll

Dinner
    Smoked Salmon with nice bread and dill and mustard sauce
    Roast Turkey, 2 types of stuffing (one my Mum's now been making for 35 years...), Roast potatoes, little sausages, brocolli, carrots and a.n.other veg, M&S Poultry gravy (so tasty and it's only for christmas day!), Gallons of Cranberry Sauce :D
    Christmas pud and custard

Supper
    if we can move
    Christmas Cake and a Cuppa :D

I LOOOOOOOOVE christmas so much... I can't wait til I can start planning my pre christmas party :D
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A turkey is just for Christmas, not for life. 1a_y_tongue1.gif

• Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    My OH works rotating shifts, and quite a few years ago it so happened he wasn't going to be about for the big meal on Christmas Day, so I asked the kids what they would have if they could choose whatever they wanted to eat, and they all said..............CRISPY DUCK PANCAKES!! :eek: :confused: So that is what we had that year, and every year since :rotfl:

Only trouble is when they do their "What I Did Over Christmas" essays for school they write that they had Chinese for their Xmas lunch, without making it clear that it was not, in fact, a takeaway!! :o
    [
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

roflani.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • BrokeBrokeBroke
    Options
    Breakfast-
    Pancakes, strawberries and cream
    Bucks Fizz
    Then pressies.... and more Bucks Fizz
    Lunch (around 3)
    Turkey
    Ham
    HM Stuffing
    Sausages and Bacon
    Sprouts
    Roast Spuds
    Roast Parsnips, Carrots, Squash and Sweet Potatoes
    Gravy
    Cheese & Biscuits
    Chocolate pudding

Xmas Tea
    Turkey butties with stuffing and mayo!!! Yummy!
    Cheese & Biscuits
    Lots of chocs.

Then nothing for the next week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills