PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you have on your christmas day menu

Options

Comments

• kscour
    kscour Posts: 665 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Well pre children we had want we wanted as it was our xmas:-

cooked breakfast according to time of awakening from Christmas Eve in Local

Then whenever we were ready
    Steak, chips, mushrooms, beans, eggs, tomatoes etc.

when people found out they were appalled and assumed we couldn't cope with cooking a proper christmas diiner! We had 5 invites to Christmas Dinner one year from non relatives!!!
    We had to politely decline & say it was what we wanted (our treat) and on Boxing day OH's Nan would be arriving to be treated to a slap up Roast Duck with all the trimmings & that was also a lovely treat for us to spend a nice day and have a nice meal with her.

Now the children are here its toast for breakfast as and when I can squeeze it in (Don't want to miss any presents) then whatever roast dinner they want - but I like it to be a roast so I can leave things cooking & spend the day with them.

However this year I quite fancy going to Curry Queen's (sounds sooooo yummy!)

Ohh heck I'm getting that christmassy feeling!
  • Sarahsaver
    Options
    my mum always has onion bhajis, and I have to have chestnuts with sprouts YUM. I never had brandy butter til last year and I dont know what all the fuss was about :rolleyes:
    If mum is staying then I make spanakopita which is delightfully yummy, and we have a turkey which MUST have a whole lemon stuffed up you-know-what to keep it juicy. It never dries out.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Maisie
    Maisie Posts: 1,343 Forumite
    Options
    Before our kids got married and were at home they ate all the usual turkey /christmas pudding Christmas fare.
    Then son and wife decided they were not eating meat so I cooked turkey for hubbie and I. Fish for son and wife with roast tatties etc and all the trimmings!. Daughter and her husband don't eat fish or meat so I got nut roast for them with tatties and all the other bits.

What a combination for Christmas dinner. They don't know what they're missing with a delicious bronze Suffolk grown turkey.
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Now that I have finished the Christmas shopping and the wrapping:D I am now trying to plan Christmas lunch. OK, I know it is a month away and most people will have turkey but what else will others be having for xmas lunch! After being with DH for 14 years and never having to the whole family lunch thing on Christmas day we have this year invited all his family to us so I will be catering for 6 adults DS 12 eats lots more than the adults! DS 10 eats nothing. Nephew 6 eats very little and Nephew 1 eats mush!
    We asked what meat they would like and thankfully they all agreed on Turkey, which is great as he has been frozen in my big freezer since last Christmas:j. It is a Turkey crown I think, just found him at the bottom of the freezer or it might be a large breast about 4-5lb in weight. No idea if that is big enough but thought with the other bits on the plate should be OK.
    So far no idea for a starter, main course turkey with spuds and brussel sprouts, and pudding will be xmas pudding but will need something else.
    Would like to know what others are planning and how to keep the cost down when cooking christmas lunch for the family. Obviously we have quite a small number to cater for, but still need to not over indulge with the cost of it all.
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    I do turkey & beef & stretch it by serving yorkies, stuffing balls, pigs in blankets, roast pots & I do a tray of roast mixed veg, squash, parsnips, sweet pots carrots etc, also steamed veg, broccoli, cauli, peas etc.
    Starter is usually prawns with avocado & salad, dessert is mince pies & lemon meringue, these are family favourites. I don't know how many are coming yet, somewhere between 4 & 14.

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • pennypinchingmum
    Options
    Like everyone lese we're feeling the pinch this year so instead of buying a huge turkey that would cast a small fortune for christmas dinner (feeding 6adults and 3 kiddies),I've decided to buy 5 turkey drumsticks- debone and take out the tendons then stuff with nice sausages roll and tie.
    It will cost about £10 if i use nice sausages and it means that everyone will get there own little half a parcel. It looks very expensive tastes delicious and can be made and frozen ready for taking out on xmas eve to defrost.
    Another perk is that they only take 50mins to cook so i wont be getting up at 6'o clock to put the turkey in. I'm not going to tell my inlaws though. I'll let them think i spent lots of money on them instead.
    I would definately recommend doing this for anyone on a budget that still loves a bit of luxury and it can be stuffed with anything.,
  • Le_Foot
    Le_Foot Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    I've had my orders tonight!! My son and family have been here to bring me cards and a pressie for my birthday tomorrow. (62 :eek: )
    They are going to be here for Christmas day Lunch, and my 13 year old grandaughter asked if I was going to be doing 'Pigs in Blankets'....sausages wrapped in bacon. Well!! Of course I am...it wouldn't be Christmas Lunch without them.
    These days, now there are not so many of us...perhaps10 instead of 17, I buy just Turkey Breast..not the whole Turkey, from my local butcher. I also do a boneless shoulder of Pork as well.
    With left overs I make 'Piggly Pie'....an absolutely wonderful dish or using up left over Christmas Fare...that I will be happy to share with you later.
    I do SOOOO love having my family around me at Christmas (or any time for that matter). My daughter and her family are going to Canada for this Christmas...as much as I will miss them terribly, I am so pleased for them, cos my beloved Son-in-law and all his family will all be together for Christmas for the first time since they were children....How could I possibly begrudge them that!!
    Whatever you do, don't get stressed over Christmas dinner, it always seems to work out just fine..cos everyone is in such good humour. :D .
    Feb. G.C. From Jan 26th £350.00
    First month..pure guess!! Wk. 1 £136.38 balance £213.62. Wk.2 £108.10p balance £105.52
  • Jasper27_2
    Options
    We're breaking with tradition and having fillet steak, followed by eaton mess. It's me, OH and MIL and I canvassed everyone to see what they fancied. No-one is keen on traditional turkey dinner and would rather have something they consider a real treat. We certainly can't afford fillet steak the rest of the year so we are indulging. Mind you it's OK for 3 people if we were entertaining a crowd it'd be something cheaper. We're keeping our Christmas food bill down by buying less but going for items that are usually beyond our budget, so it's few packs of pricey biscuits rather than a big tin etc. I've been taking advantage of offers for a few months now to spread the cost so I only need the steak and a bit of fresh stuff in december.
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only three of us for dinner this year (normally 10+) so we have decided to go for roast beef with all the trimmings, don't think we will have a pudding but will make trifle, mince pies and Nigellas chocolate brownies for tea when some more of he family arrive. Probably going to avoid christmas cake and christmas pudding this year as by the end of the holidays we feel we have seen enough dried fruit to last us for ever!!!
    Slightly bitter
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if its just me and hubby yet, or if my brother is going to make it over here...
    But we have settled on:-

individual home made beef wellingtons with veggies and potatoes for mains

Then im toying with making pate/terrinefor starters ... that way there will be plenty of leftovers for snicky snacky snooze for a few days after:D

Hubby and brother don't have much of a sweet tooth :mad: ... so I might make a cheesecake or something similar .. because I DO HAVE a sweet tooth -in fact a whole mouth of them :p.... or I could make a stollen instead as that keeps well :D and will go nice with a cuppa ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport