PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What do you have on your christmas day menu

Options

Comments

• Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten Xmas dinner bfore 6.30/7pm :confused:

It wouldn't feel right eating all that food and drinking wine at 2/3pm :confused:

anyway ya big set of wierdos :D

Brekkie: Bacon butties

Lunch: Nowt cos we're usually out visiting relics!

Tea Time
    Starter: Prawns, smoked salmon and crab sticks(for him!) salad with lemon wedges and wholemeal bread (melon and crabsticks for eldest daughter)

Champagne

Main: Turkey, Roasties, Carrot and Swede with butter and black pepper, sprouts, cauli, broccoli, Yorkie puds (homemade and huge) proper sherry gravy, cranberry, stuffing, tiny sausages.

Champagne

Pudding: Chocolate mousse with some sort of alcohol soaked biccies at the bottom with whipped cream and strawberries.
    Champagne
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• Sweet_Pea_2
    Options
    Breakfast:
    Always aim for bacon sandwiches, but as I dont want to be in the kitchen and miss the kids opening pressies I hop between rooms, so by the time Ive done some for everyone else and they have left them to go cold under wrapping paper debris, and its time to do mine, in laws arrive to visit, Im still in PJs with bed hair etc, :eek: so I give up and starve until lunchtime......(but usually manage a whole box of maltesers to myself before then as its my christmas tradition dating back to when I was a child. Unfortunately my daughters also have the maltesers gene, but on Christmas day I hide them under a cushion :shhh: )
    Lunch, which I aim for 1pm ish but usually gets dished up at about 3....
    turkey, stuffing, roast pots, boiled pots, carrots, sprouts, little sausages wrapped in bacon and cranberry sauce and a yorkshire pud piled up high on the top with gravy.
    pud.... I buy something or two, lemon mousse cheesecake, something choclatey, and make something like mincemeat and apple pie, with cream, ice cream or custard, offer this to everyone expectantly, everyone groans and says no thanks...... (served with asti, only because its MY favourite)I have maltesers for my pudding whilst washing up. :shhh:
    Tea..... Wait till about 6.30 and offer sandwiches, there are murmerings about, mmmm, dont think Im really that hungry, I say OK and sit down quickly, dont offer again. Start my next box of maltesers. :D
    Well I have to eat them all before New Years Day because thats when I always start my new diet. :p
    Boxing Day....
    Same as Xmas Day except I usually manage the bacon sandwiches. Also I may make it a Terry Chocolate Orange Day.
    New Years Day.....
    Say s?! the diet until tomorrow, and have Xmas Day food all over again, and usually make it a "stuff myself with any leftover chocolates day" before diet REALLY has to start on January 2nd.
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    god this has just reminded me of last christmas, the fridge and pantry groaning under the weight of too big a Christmas shop and then the entire household going down with an awful virus. I dragged myself to the kitchen, cooked an awful meal as I was so ill, Nobody could eat , and then having to call out the Doctor as the baby went all limp and lifeless until the Doc arrived and then sprung into action!

I think I must have broken the GB all comers record for the amount of wasted food.

This year with my new found old style ways, I shall be making more stuff myself and will not require two trolleys to get all my stuff in.

My menu this year will be:

Melon (mainly cos it's the only starter all the children will eat)

Turkey & roast pork homemade apricot and walnut stuffing ( the turkey is always called Cuthbert in this house)
    Stuffing balls wrapped in bacon.
    litlle sausages ( these are so popular with the kids I could miss out the turkey altogether)
    Yorkies
    Roast & mashed spuds
    Sprouts with hazelnut butter
    Carrots cooked with garlic and onions
    Mashed swede
    Spinach
    Honeyed parsnips
    Peas

For pudding
    Homemade christmas pud with brandy butter and cream
    Trifle (mums recipe)
    Chocolate gateau

Lots of chocolates
    coffee and bendicks mints
    Stilton and biccies
    and then thats me finished until boxing day.

when we have cold meat, bubble and squeak and lots of chutneys.
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    Options
    Well it's normally about 25 of us from 6 months to 75 years, we come together every year and take turns as to who has it at there house... This year it's my turn! :eek: each family brings something...(all cooked and prepared) and we have fantastic dinners...

Turkey and a pork joint
    chestnut, leek and mushroom pie..(3 veggies including me)
    2 stuffings 1 meat and 1 veggie
    pigs in blankets..(sausage wrapped in bacon)
    Roast pots and parsnips done the delia way
    veg gratin made with loads of cream
    sprouts pan fried with chestnuts and bacon
    another veg
    Delias gravy

Christmas pudding and fresh cream or moca almond bomb

Cheese and biscuits

mints truffles and coffee with tia maria or brandy

christmas cake and more coffee later.

lots of cava, white wine and red wine flowing...

Don't you just love christmas day.
  • 1sttimer_2
    Options
    My arn't you lot organised! I've not even had my summer hols yet :rolleyes:

Our Christmas is usually:-

Crossonts/crumpets for brekkie.

Church (this year I'm on duty!!)

Mushroom & Brie parcels (got to make double cos these are morish)
    Pork with Crackling - a must
    Roast spuds/parsnips
    Carrots/swede mash
    Brussels
    caramalised onions
    Loads of gravy (+ veggie instant gravy)

Pudding (if anyone wants any)
    Xmas Pud/trifle/Yule log

We alternate Xmas with B&SIL cos these are only family left (ahh). DD1 now lives away and has BF so don't know what the plan is this year!
    "It is always the best policy to speak the truth-unless, of course, you are an exceptionally good liar." - Jerome K Jerome
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    Well, funnily enough I was looking at last year's menu earlier today when I was searching for my festive ice cream recipe, so I'll C&P it over ...
    Christmas day
    Avocado & Prawn Salad
    ~
    Apricot-Stuffed Turkey Breast
    Pig-in-Blankets
    Crisp Roast Potatoes
    Brussels in Hazelnut & Orange Butter
    Honey Roasted Parsnips
    Honey Roasted Carrots
    ~
    Festive Ice-Cream

Boxing Day

Smoked Salmon & Crab with Cucumber and Crème Fraîche
    Melba Toast
    ~
    Roasted Leg of Pork & Cider Gravy
    Spicy Stuffing Rolls
    Nutmeg & Cream Cheese Mash
    Braised Red Cabbage
    Steamed Broccoli
    ~
    Chocolate Profiteroles
    Whipped Cream

No definite plans for this year's menu yet, although I might just stick to this one again as it went down very well :D
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Happyroly
    Options
    Well, funnily enough I was looking at last year's menu earlier today when I was searching for my festive ice cream recipe, so I'll C&P it over ...
    Christmas day
    Avocado & Prawn Salad
    ~
    Apricot-Stuffed Turkey Breast
    Pig-in-Blankets

~
    Festive

Well that sounds really yummy!
    So how many of us get invites this year?!!!! ;)

By the way - what is Pig-in-Blankets?
    Happyroly

I think I can answer my own question - Pig-in-Blankets - sausages in bacon!!
  • Curry_Queen
    Options
    Happyroly wrote:
    Well that sounds really yummy!
    So how many of us get invites this year?!!!! ;)

By the way - what is Pig-in-Blankets?
    Happyroly

The more the merrier! :D

Actually I'll be more than happy - read: over the moon!!!! :j - if I can just have my three boys all together for xmas this year, which hasn't happened for a few years now :(

Oh and pig-in-blankets are just little sausages/chipolatas wrapped in a piece of streaky bacon and cooked in the oven, often alongside the roast :)

Edit: Ah I see you've figured it out now! I was in the middle of replying when DS asked me to look up some climatic and economic facts about Greenland for him for his homework :rolleyes: I can see I need to give him a few lessons in using Google properly to get the answers he needs!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Ticklemouse
    Options
    Hmmm - I haven't really thought about it but we're real traditionalists so won't be too hard.

Brekkie - normal stuff ie porridge or muesli/cereal of choice

mid morning (for me) - sherry :D Well, I'll be starting the dinner :D:D

Christmas lunch - soup and HM bread or melon

main course - bronze free range turkey and stuffing
    ham cooked in apple juice
    roasties
    mas
    brocolli
    cauli
    carrots
    shredded sprouts in bacon and garlic
    other veg to be decided on
    pigs in blankets
    gravy
    cranberry sauce
    (no yorkies as not enough oven space with such a large meal)

pud - Gaviscon :D:D No, seriously, we'll all be too full but I will have on hand Xmas pud, cream, white sauce, mince pies, chocs, biccies, ice cream etc for those who desire anything.

Also, lots and lots of wine, sherry etc during the day

Tea - usually nothing for me, but whatever anyone wants when they want it. Later on, alcoholic beverages as required with nibbles

Boxing day - "Resolve" for those who require it :D (I'm a goody-two shoes who usually stops drinking by 9pm so am sober next morning, on account of noisy kids)
  • neets
    neets Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    1sttimer wrote:
    Mushroom & Brie parcels (got to make double cos these are morish)

wow i like the sound of those, do you have a recipe?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure