PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

my bunch of roses is wilting, what should I do?

Options

Comments

• dannahaz
    dannahaz Posts: 1,068 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lemonade, or a soluble aspirin in the water help.

As previouly mentioned, make sure ALL foliage underneath the water is removed. Don't overfill with water, but top up with fresh water daily if poss. as this introduces fresh oxygen.
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Soft stemmed flowers, such as Daffodils, benefit from having any carbonated drink added to the water.
    Hard stemmed flowers, such as Roses, benefit from having the stems trimmed (to remove the dry/drying end) and then having the end of the stems crushed, this enables them to draw the water easier.

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • chatta
    chatta Posts: 3,392 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I remember before I had cental heating flowers would last for weeks in my house, so I suppose keeping them cold helps.........
  • RHYSDAD
    RHYSDAD Posts: 2,346 Forumite
    Options
    My mum is a florist and the best thing, she reckons, is keeping them cold. Treat them as you would fresh veg (but don't eat them obviously)!!
    ;)
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• Paige
    Paige Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was woke up at 7am this morning by a rather sweet delivery man doing a little song and dance on my doorstep.He was about 65 - 70 and was thrilled to be delivering roses for Valentines - from Tesco online.
    My husband is away at the moment at wont be back until tomorrow night and he had ordered a dozen red roses from Tesco online for me.
    Despite the initial excitement of the sweet older male singing on my doorstep when I opened the box the Roses were very dissapointing. They were wrapped in a soggy piece of cloth and then wrapped in red tissue paper. The petals were black around the edges and they smelt awful.
    When I phoned tesco online they said I could not complain until 24 hours after delivery,so I need to call back tomorrow morning.
    I dont know how much they were as I have not spoken to my husband as yet.
    Do you think I should insist on a full refund?
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    Most definately! Settle for nothing less. I would also insist on some kind of compensation for such poor quality.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Yes ! tesco are quite good at refunding for flowers.

I sent some to a pal last summer to cheer her up - was pouring with rain, and the stupid delivery driver just threw them over her back fence. Left no card, nothing!

So it wasn't Tescos fault, but they refunded instantly - nothing about having to wait 24hrs either though (probably bogged down with complaints today!)

You do not have what you paid for (or OH paid for!) so a full refund for the state that they sound in is the only appropriate action.
  • ilovemycats
    Options
    Hi Paige,

Dead flowers eh.....

I have to admit I've had flowers delivered before that were dead, and it's not very nice. So I understand just how you feel. Rather giving you an uplifting 'they sent me flowers' feeling, it leaves you rather 'oh'.

(((((hugs)))))

I'd tell your hubby and let him go beserk at Tescos. DEAD FLOWERS! Traditionally you send dead flowers to someone you don't like.

xx
  • spiddy100
    Options
    I'd definitely complain. Last year Sainsburys failed to deliver the flowers my DH had ordered, they refunded, and sent us some free flowers plus a bottle of wine :):)
    That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest. Henry David Thoreau
  • morlandbanks
    Options
    I'd insist on a full refund. That's awful. I don't know how they're cheeky enough to deliver them when they're like that.
    Hope it didn't ruin your day too much.
    If you haven't mentioned it to hubby yet...don't...It'll upset him. He thinks he's sent you lovely flowers and made your day. It'd be nice if it stays that way. You can sort out Tesco and he won't have to feel like he's let you down.
    Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Mahatma Gandhi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport