PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

what can I do with Brisket?

I've done searches on the recipe threads and can't find anything on brisket. (my page keeps timing out too :()

I've just bought some because it was reduced but don't know what to do with it.

Any ideas from all you super-cooks out there?
Just run, run and keep on running!

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    how much in weight have you got?
    Blah
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Thanks van,

I'll have a look at those, I've got just over 1kg.

I did a google search but just wondered if anyone here had a tried and tested recipe x

• MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always use brisket instead of top side. It's cheaper and has more flavour IMO. I either slo-cook it for about 8/10hrs with a pint of stock in the crock which I later thicken to make gravy or I slam it in the oven (Uncovered) at 230c for 1/2 hr to give it some colour then pour over 1pt stock & cover and cook at 160c for 2-3hrs then thicken the stock to make gravy.

Leftovers are great to pop in a casserole the next day with homemade dumplings.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Thanks MATH,

I haven't got a slow cooker so I'll put it in the oven. That's the kind of advice that I was looking for as I wasn't sure of cooking times and whether to put liquid in or cover it over.

As for leftovers, there isn't usually much left in our house :-/ ;)

• cathy_3
    cathy_3 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    brisket is lovely in the oven try to stand it on a wire rack in the dish or grill pan with water underneath so it doesnt dry out cover it and cook slowly

if not just cook it slowly
    and it will be lovely

or throw the lot in a casserole dish with some onions and carrots and veggies water and cook slowly in the oven for about 3 to 4 hours take the brisket out half way through put it on a plate and cut it up into small chunks then put it back in the dish to cook

lovely
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    I bought some of this this week as I'm trying to buy different things every week that I havent used before. It was £3 something and I plan to use the slow cooker. What should I add to make a nice gravy/sauce?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've bought a nice piece of brisket too. Last time I just bunged it in slow-cooker with some stock (oxo) and maybe some sliced onions and left it on low all day. Thicken your juices at end with cornflour - either remove joint, add flour in cooker and leave lid off whilst letting it cook, or put juices in pan and thicken conventionally.

I don't bother adding too much else to the stock as I like mine to be really meaty. Only other thing I might consider would be mushrooms.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I dont have a slow cooker so do mine in a huge casserole in the oven.
    I seal it first then bung it in with swede, celery,onions, carrots and large mushrooms, a bay leaf and whole peppercorns, and enough water with a dash of mushroom ketchup and a splash of worcester sauce to come half way up the meat.

When its cooked I strain the liquid into a saucepan and reduce it down then whisk in a a roue of butter and flour to thicken it- delicious :)

I like whole peppercorns but they can be a bit hot for some tastes so if your family dont like them either pick them out or just use ground pepper
  • Caz2_2
    Caz2_2 Posts: 199 Forumite
    Hi
    I would put in a can of guinness/stout/bitter whatever you have in cupboard. Worchester sauce, soya sauce, S&P, mushrooms, onions,oxo cube, a bit of water and whatever herbs you have and bay leaves. Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure