SKI-er or Sk-ater. We know how to enjoy ourselves

Options

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    I'm so sorry, balmaiden. Please encourage Dad to go! What has he got to lose?

Re health care, have a look at this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7365019.stm
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Yes Margaret, I saw that article. I have to say that as a family we have nothing but praise for our local Dr's surgery and our two local hospitals. Mum with cancer, Dad two heart operations and bowel cancer. I had a breast lump removed recently my husband's recent health problems and my young Grandson had problems as a baby. I can honestly say the care we have received has been wonderful. My Dad's Dr actually came out, after surgery hours, to give my Dad the bad news at home. So if you have to be ill our part of Cornwall is not a bad place to be.

Anyway that is enough of my woes don't want to change the mood of this thread, after all it is all about us oldies kicking up our heels and enjoying ourselves, isn't it ?
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Hi fellow SKI-ers,

Well here I am back from our much awaited big family holiday in Majorca. As I mentioned in previous posts my poor old Dad's health has taken a turn for the worse and him and Mum couldn't accompany us. Very sad for us all as it would have been very special to have four generations of our family on holiday together. Having said that my three little Grandhoolies had the time of their lives so certainly memories to treasure. Especially one when I took my two eldest Grandchildren ( 7 and 6 ) to Palma's wonderful cathedral and unasked they both said a prayer for their poorly Great Grandad. Talk about bringing a tear to my eye.

Certainly reinforces my views on doing things while you can and your health allows. O/h and I are busy making plans for our next venture which will probably involve taking a camper van around Scotland. Any hints and tips on what to see and where to stay, much appreciated. also, depending on how my Father is, we are thinking of September. Is this a good time for seeing Scotland?
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Balmaiden

DH says yes to Scotland in September. Avoid the hottest time of year e.g. July/August because of the midges. No later than early October because the days are getting too short.

We are going to Notts/Derby this weekend - Brackenhurst Presentation Day http://www.ntu.ac.uk/ares/ on Friday, then on to stay with DH's son and family for a day or two.

July - we're going to my brother's wedding in Liverpool! Well, it's mainly about my niece's 18th birthday, but they've decided to get married after 20+ years together, no idea why (don't ask!!!) It will be a 'very simple and functional wedding' he says, but it's in a historic building, Liverpool Register Office is in the Cotton Exchange which goes back to the 1830s. http://www.virtualtours360.net/vtupload/liverpool/registeroffice/registeroffice.html

They don't want wedding presents, it's mainly about the 18th birthday, so here's what I've bought her: http://www.clogau.co.uk/product.php?prodID=STLP4
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Hallo everyone, just found this thread. I am a fully paid up Skater. Not only that but a widow too. Hubby died 4 years ago aged 56 of heart problems. He had a good job and hence all the right benefits in place. I too worked all my life and I now have 4 pensions to play with and a house that is now my own thanks to a good Endowment mortgage thingee.

First thing I did was to high tale it over to Australia for a visit with a mate I roomed with in Amsterdam in the 70's. Hadnt seen her in 30 years. My Husband was Dutch and I met him in Holland when I went to work there. I was a pioneer for the time - 1966 really swinging in Amsterdam. Arrived there the day England won the World Cup - what a party that was. Came back to England in 1989.

Went to Australia again 2 years ago and took the famous Ghan train from Adelaide to Darwin - 3 days - what a trip. Bit grounded at the moment as my mother is 95 and in a nursing home near me, but she has developed breast cancer so that is a blow. She was quite fit until this. Plan to spend the winter somewhere warm, recommendations very welcome. Have pm'd for telephone numbers for Benidorm and Javea, love that area. All tips welcome.
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    Just had a little memory jog. First visited Benidorm in 1969. We stayed in a little 'room' at the side of a cafe on the front on the main beach. We used to pick up great blocks of ice to stick in a bucket to keep our stuff cold. Bet the site is now a 15 story hotel block. Benidorm was so small and cute in those days. Just thought I would share that with you!!! Oh yes and the girl I went with had a rich grandfather who lived permanently in a hotel there. He took a shine to me (he was 85!!) and when I got back to Holland he sent me a cheque to cover my flight back to visit him again!! My very own sugar daddy. Poor soul was lonely.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it just me? I just don`t feel in the mood for ski-ing at the moment because of the doom and gloom and realisation that decent, honest, hard-working people are being hit hard. People in great danger of losing their homes etc. I feel as though I just want to enjoy what I have here and not spend more than I have to

It is a strange time and reminds me of frugal times in the past. I have even emptied a cupboard and put things like tins, packets and loo rolls away for as long as necessary

This is the psyche in action. The deep long-ago memories from childhood. Oh I am happy enough on a personal level but I feel as though I want to be very cautious
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    Poor Kittie you sound very down. I think many of us feel that way at the moment, there is a LOT of doom and gloom around, but Hey, there always was. I personally now think that the older you get the more aware you get of your own immortality and become introspective. Ditch It! I was widowed 4 years ago this month and I'm really still trying to dig myself out of the misery of it all, I'm nearly there and believe me I am going to enjoy life while its still there. Use caution, but Hey Life is their to have fun. Cheer Up. MW
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh merrywidow, yes I agree that message did sound `down in the mouth` but I am not at all, just my cautious (capricorn) side has come to the fore for a while. I love life and agree with everything you said

I was talking to a lovely couple in their middle 30s last night. Their fixed rate mortgage has come to an end and they now have to find another £200 every month. He is self-employed and she is worried about work. It struck me that this young couple, who are intelligent and reasonably well-off, compared to others, are just the tip of the iceberg. I have empathy (maybe too much) with people and it just feels wrong at the moment to go swanning around too much. Having said that, I will be looking at christmas holidays in a couple of months
  • Merrywidow
    Options
    There you go ..we have all been thru that stage in our lives. Holland was cheaper to live in than here and when the company moved my husband to the London office we were in deep s**t with buying a house here. Our large dutch house allowed us a small bungalow here and then we could only just afford it. This was 1990 when the interest rates went up to 15% and we had to use all our savings just to stay afloat. £60,000 mortgage and the repayments were £900 a month. S**t happens and we all have to get thru it. There comes a time in life when you are in calmer waters and the time is yours to enjoy, their time will come too. Right now is ME time. YOU TOO
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts