SKI-er or Sk-ater. We know how to enjoy ourselves

Options

Comments

• donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree Merrywidow - been through the rough times enough, Coal Strike, Steel Strike, mortgage going up before we even started paying, 15% mortgage rate, etc. One of the reasons I went back to work after having DS was my salary continued but DH didn't get paid if laid-off. What I do cannot change it for anyone, the youngsters today still want more luxuries than we even contemplated.

DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there donny-gal and kittie - we are busy tonight. Its so right what you say. My hubby and I set up house with odds and ends of furniture from the family, tables, chairs, beds and bedding, you name it. I recently offered some glasses and cutlery (silver too) to a neighbour's daughter about to move into her first place and she was very polite but inferred she wanted everything new. That about sums it all up. Its no wonder they end up in debt, we waited but they don't want to. Its just not our problem. Get Ski-ing
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • donny-gal
    donny-gal Posts: 4,654 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So true, we managed to buy a new 2 bedroom bungalow, or rather a shell, no c/heating, no drive, no garage, just room for them.

Furniture was my double bedroom suite from home (ex M&D's) Formica wood grained round table and chairs ex (M&D) square of carpet for the lounge ex (M&DinLaw), suite ex brother as he claimed one ex M&D, B&W TV bought for £5. 3 mats round bed ex M&DinLaw, new cooker wedding present from M&D new Fridge/Freezer wedding present from M&DinLaw. Heating was a gas fire ex a friend of M&D which DinLaw had to take out and fit for us. Kitchen we had a sink unit and a card table with a plastic table cloth on! We went on honeymoon in November thinking of touring round Scotland we had £150 saved up - we had two nights in North Yorkshire, came back and bought the bottom half of the kitchen units+worktops it cost £150 to do that!

Pots and Pans wedding gifts, hand me downs, etc.,

No complaining - we were well set, and luckier than most.
    DG
    Member #8 of the SKI-ers Club
    Why is it I have less time now I am retired then when I worked?
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Well I for one am continuing with my SKI-ing. We are looking at the moment at a short break in Norfolk/ Suffolk and hopefully atour of Scotland in the September.

Like others I have lived through bad times and came out a lot wiser for it. I do understand where you are coming from Kittie, but maybe todays youngsters need to go through some tough times to get away from the " We can have everything we want NOW" mentality that has prevailed in recent years. Harsh words perhaps but I do truly believe this.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm still saving up to SKI in both senses.

In fact I'm planning to do a gap year when I retire, and ski instructor training is on the agenda (though not only). I didn't have a gap year first time around so will make up!
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

It's not necessarily true that 'all' young people expect it all new. Some do, there's no doubt, but not all.

I know young people who have been happy to furnish with the help of Freecycle. My eldest GD got her bed there, and she picked up a lovely dining-table out of a skip!! To get those good-quality items though, obviously someone else has been chucking them out.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • balmaiden
    balmaiden Posts: 623 Forumite
    Options
    Yes Margaret you are right, it is not true that "all" young people expect everything new. As indeed there are probably many "old" people who expect everything new. I just feel that perhaps on occasion some youngsters need a bit of a reality check. Then maybe they may begin to save for what they need and perhaps have some put by so that they can enjoy a little SKI-ing of there own in later years. Instead of working past retirement age to pay of crippling debts which I fear a lot of people will have to do.
    Away with the fairies.... Back soon
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome to the forum Merry Widow.

We are SKIing in the UK at the moment ,(we live in Spain normally) having just had a short break in Wales and now are borrowing some friends' house for a week.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Merrywidow
    Merrywidow Posts: 766 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you for your welcome 7DW, I bet you are loating this weather compared to Spain. I have been chatting to Donny-gal who also know Spain well and I will be off there soon. Where abouts to you live?
    member # 12 of Skaters Club
    Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old,
    You grow old because you stop laughing
    :D
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Merrywidow, I am LOVING being in the UK! Wales was beautiful (knocks the Costa del Sol into a cocked hat) , weather was OK, we spent quality time with good friends.....

TBH, I've not missed Spain at all, although where we live in a small white village in the Sierra Nevada mountains, is lovely.

Think we'll stay another month (we have a house here still).
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure