Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    donny-gal wrote: »
    Certainly not saving it for sin,
    Missed this when you first posted it, and I know it's a typo, but it made me laugh nevertheless!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for thank link, tocsin. I had a read, as we've looked st Dublin flights before.

Am I right in thinking that's it's only worthwhile if you're travelling business class?

I couldn't stand that thought, or the extra carbon on my footprint, if going backwards to Heathrow! At our age, we want as short a journey as we can.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • CommyTooper
    CommyTooper Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation, maybe it should be Spending Kids Inheritance Enjoying Retirement.
  • tocsin
    tocsin Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Thanks for thank link, tocsin. I had a read, as we've looked st Dublin flights before.

Am I right in thinking that's it's only worthwhile if you're travelling business class?

I couldn't stand that thought, or the extra carbon on my footprint, if going backwards to Heathrow! At our age, we want as short a journey as we can.

Definitely more worthwhile if you're looking at business class, but there can still be savings in premium economy also. The savings are partly reduced passenger duty, but also the airlines recognising they have to offer incentives for the extra sector/ time spent.

It's also definitely more useful for those who are time-rich, where an additional day or two on the holiday is just more fun ;)

As for carbon footprint, I rationalise this by thinking that the aircraft are flying the route anyway. And as I live well away from London, we would have to take a lengthy journey to there.

So in summary, an option for those retired looking for a long-haul journey in more comfort at lowest cost :)
  • pollypenny
    Options
    We're an hour away from Manchester, so get direct flights to Philly twice a year. At least the standard has improved since AA took over US Airways.

I don't mind the flights, it's the hanging about in airports that drives me mad. Least time spent the better.

• CommyTooper
    CommyTooper Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Yesterday we had a wonderful time at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Well worth a visit, you won't be disappointed, and entry is free.
    Only problem came when we decided how much to put in the contribution box. We put in a fiver.
    Then on the way home we decided it was a bit mean of us and chatted about what to do at other places when faced with the same choice again. We've gone with a tenner.

I know a piece of string is as long as it is, we're not hard up, so what do others suggest.
    Thanks.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Well, the business class was wonderful, as was the peace and quiet in the BA lounge. What a difference from the crowded pokey T3 at Manchester.

I don't suppose we'll do it again.it was a rare event as economy was so damned expensive anyway. BC wasn't even 50% more.

• ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Glad to hear Pollypenny. Looking forward to similar with Emirates to Oz in two months, as I'm actually looking forward to the journey instead of gritting my teeth and enduring it! I think I'm just going to have to dip into the savings to do it every year as it's only me going.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Probably even more worth it ,Ibizafan. You'll have room and peace and quiet in the lounge.

From which airport do you fly?

• ibizafan_2
    ibizafan_2 Posts: 920 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Birmingham, which has a nice Emirates lounge, via Dubai. One bonus is the chauffeur driven car from home and also at Brisbane to my son's house, which will save him an early morning journey. Not that these details influenced my decision, but it's a nice bonus! No, it's the lie flat bed that did it, albeit a very expensive lie flat bed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure