Sneaky ways to save the pennies

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
4.5K replies 1.3M views

Replies

• MellikaMellika Forumite
    506 posts
    ✭✭
    JackieO wrote: »
    I am listing some out now as I type on a seperate sheet to go into my little red book
    What's your little red book for Jackie?
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • TurnaroundSueTurnaroundSue Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    1.2K posts
    I put my butter in the microwave for 10-15 secs so that it is a little bit squidgy (unless obviously it is a warm day), so it is able to be spread thinly on the bread!
    When you were born, you were crying and everyone around was smiling. Live your life so at the end, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying! :rotfl:
  • what a great thread, I love these tips!

when i see some veg starting to "go" I will chop it up and freeze it. Next time I make stock from my chicken carcasses, the veg can go in the pot to add flavour.

I buy a huge box of washing powder and use half the amount (plus some soda crystals). We have had the current on the go since 31 December 07 (I wrote the date on the box so I could see how long it lasts - how sad am I?)

I stopped buying Sainsbury's organic plain yog for DH and started buying their value plain yog for 39p. Neither of us could tell the difference so we have saved a fortune (he gets through two tubs a week)

I have been cleaning the windows with vinegar and water for over a year and DH has no idea, he thinks I am using windolene......
  • sillyvixensillyvixen Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    i keep a box in the freezer for veggies that are not going to get eaten in time i prepare them (anything goes) and add them to the box when i batch cook this is my starting veg for either mixed veg soup or veggie curry.

i also write the dates i have opened jars that are in the fridge (stir fry sauce, pickles, chilli sauce, salad dressings etc) as i know whwn i opened them and how much shelf life they have left - any that are getting near i can plan to use up so they dont get wasted (it also stops me throwing things away that are still ok but i cant be sure when they were opened and therefore may be tempted to chuck to be on the safe side)!!
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • bellaquidsinbellaquidsin Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I freeze horseradish sauce in ice cube trays and take out one or two portions as required. We don't very often have beef and a small jar always went past it's date before we could use it.

I soften my butter in the microwave, beat it really well until light and fluffy and then beat in some water. This gives a much greater volume of spreadable butter.

When cooking apples for a crumble I add quite a bit of water to make plenty of juice and then thicken it (I use potato flour for this as it thickens without cooking but cornflour will do) after all this is what the manufacturers of apple pie filling are doing. If they can make the apples go further, so can I.

Bella
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
  • sandy2_2sandy2_2 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    When cooking apples for a crumble I add quite a bit of water to make plenty of juice and then thicken it (I use potato flour for this as it thickens without cooking but cornflour will do) after all this is what the manufacturers of apple pie filling are doing. If they can make the apples go further, so can I.Bella
    What a great tip, would instant mash powder be OK to use instead of potato flour...or is it the same thing Sandy
  • Hi, The amount of milk my kids go through is horrifi, 6 pints a day if I let them. Hubby is the main culprit as he makes them all a hot milky drink, fills jug to top with milk then microwaves, after they've not long had 2 course dinner:mad: (its not like that's the only dairy product they eat);) As I always have to buy the milk decided enough is enough and only bought powdered milk for my hot drinks(which he doesn't know about). So last night he had to go get some milk for a change. They also had to have toast other day for breakfast instead of usual milk with cereal:rotfl: cos the person who used it all stayed in bed expecting me to go buy more milk. Rant over. I basically buy less,so eventually hubby will realise food and all the things that just magically appear when we run out tea, coffee, toothpaste, mouthwash, t rolls cost money. This only cos I literally have very little money and become over drawn
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • IF you have someone who is hooked on a certain brand wean them off it.

Coffee is really tricky. Cheap coffee can taste awful.

So don't bother. Keep a secret stash somewhere of home brand and when the jar is running about half way (so he won't notice) add in another brand and mix thoroughly.

You might not ever get him unhooked, but the coffee will go further. Unless he's got very sensitive taste buds, he won't notice a small amount of another coffee being added.
  • shandypants5shandypants5 Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh My God...
    What a devious lot you are..

All us poor husbands are off to work thinking that we are energized and full of top brand name breakfast and smelling of expensive shampoo.

BUT we are ACTUALLY virtually dying of malnutrition due to eating "shop brand" breakfast... And no wonder no one will sit by us if we smell like the bargain isle of poundland.

I allways wondered why I feel weak and ill all the time.. I am not getting my POSH food..:eek:
    “Careful. We don't want to learn from this.”
  • bellaquidsinbellaquidsin Forumite
    1.1K posts
    ✭✭✭
    sandy2 - don't think mashed potato would do the same job as potato flour which is very fine, you might get lumps and would never be forgiven.

The potato flour is a throw back to when I was trying a wheat free diet. I get it from Holland and Barrett. It's quite economical as you only use a little at a time e.g. 2 teaspoons will thicken half a pint of gravy. I'm sure cornflour would work just as well but it takes more cooking.

HTH
    Bella.
    A man's life consisteth not in the abundance of things which he possesseth. Luke 12 v 15
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support