PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• redmandarin
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    I cut down a milk container for freezing something yesterday and thought the upper half would make a good funnel, with helpful handle......

Good for jam pouring etc.
    Good tip!

It reminded me of something I did on the spur of the moment for a friend I was visiting a few years ago!

I'd taken her some flowers, but she didn't have a vase, so I spotted an empty 2 litre cola bottle, removed the label and carefully cut a line around the top half - and hey presto - a handy - and free - vase!

It also works with 1 litre bottles, for smaller bunches of flowers!
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    Excuse me, I'm not trying to be awkward but ... if anyone poured jam through the cut off milk jug funnel the plastic would melt and it could be very dangerous. Hot jam is kitchen napalm!

If you pour very hot, not even boiling, water into a milk container it collapses.

Please don't take offence, I'd just hate anyone to get hurt because I didn't say .... *worried smiley*
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • Lesley_Gaye
    Lesley_Gaye Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    Options
    ampersand wrote: »
    Evening all -
    I just posted this on another Thread, but thought you may like to read it here, too:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5689628.ece

I would love to take advantage of food thrown away, but I would be just SO embarrassed to be seen doing it! If I could go in the dead of night and guarantee no-one would see me, I would go!
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DdraigGoch wrote: »
    Excuse me, I'm not trying to be awkward but ... if anyone poured jam through the cut off milk jug funnel the plastic would melt and it could be very dangerous. Hot jam is kitchen napalm!

If you pour very hot, not even boiling, water into a milk container it collapses.

Please don't take offence, I'd just hate anyone to get hurt because I didn't say .... *worried smiley*
    ################
    Did it for raspberry jam today, no probs.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    That's funny! I didn't think anyone else was weird enough to pick up rubber bands! I also save paper clips and reuse the envelopes from birthday cards. My family have been trained to open things carefully.
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    so glad to have been proven wrong, Ampersand, thank you. Now I can stop fussing! :)
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • steerpike
    Options
    :rolleyes: My OH and I always make a beeline for the free samples at Sainsburys cheese counter - the samples are cut with a very generous hand at ours.

I am a rubber-band-pickerupper, christmas card recycler and a veteran envelope reuser too!;)
  • nannaC
    nannaC Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Hawthorn wrote: »
    Ok, confession. I pick up elastic bands. I do.

The posties in this area use bright red ones......and they just drop them on the floor. So, I'm anti littering and saving cash as well. I may just have a ball for the kids in summer if I keep going too :D

Our lovely postie puts them through our leter box with the letters.

Edited as forgot to add I always decant the last dregs from sauce/ washing liquid bottles by turning the old one upside down on top of the new one.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    nannaC wrote: »
    Our lovely postie puts them through our leter box with the letters.

So does ours, and my 7 year old DD who has severe learning difficulties once picked one up and put it round her neck :eek: :eek:

I really wish he'd dispose of them properly
  • nannaC
    nannaC Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    So does ours, and my 7 year old DD who has severe learning difficulties once picked one up and put it round her neck :eek: :eek:

I really wish he'd dispose of them properly

Oh Nicki how awful for you, that must have been truly heart stopping for you. I hope she was alright. Our village postie only puts them through as he knows we have no little ones here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure