PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• k2tog
    k2tog Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    I tried sausages, but forgot about them and they turned to charcoal sticks hehehehe!
    I have a friend who claims they "ain't proper sausages unless you can write your name with them"! Chicken sounds great - will await a bonfire occasion to try it!
  • hannah:-)_2
    Options
    Sorry for chipping in and stirring up this ol' debate again, but...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewFoundGlory viewpost.gif
    Another pet tip kind of...I also talk extra napkins, sugar, sauces etc from cafes etc...anyway I always make sure I take some little pots of cream and I give those to my kitties as treats - they love them! :D
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Does this not just increase the price in the long run for everyone else ? Maybe its just me but I don't agree with this :o I do take MY leftovers away if we eat out though.

I have to agree with Newfoundglory. As long as you don't take loads, what's the harm? Now, if we were talking about taking the spoons, it would be a different story. :p

If I leave unused milk pots or sauce sachets on the tray in my local supermarket, the staff bin them anyway. I'm not sure if it's a health thing in case I've contaminated them in some way, but it's a horrible waste.

Orkneystar, you could argue that by using any any of the freebies on offer might push prices up, but I think it's stretching the point a bit. It's a bit like saying if I buy a reduced loaf of bread for 20p, I'm costing the shop money because it stops me from buying a full price loaf. I'm sure it does have an impact, but not a great one. And reduced prices, like a handful of napkins every now and then, do keep me going back to the store, so everyone's smiling. :D
    Official DFW nerd 187 :T Highest debt Oct 06 £23,319 _pale_ Cleared end 09. :T
    Student again now and trying to fight the debts that are creeping up again :eek:
  • russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I carry small bottles of tomato and brown sauce in the car for when we have chips on a family day out.This started after we were charged 15p for each sachet of sauce,there are 5 of us and one sachet each was not enough.Mind you I did laugh when DH took out a pepper grinder too!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i think with 'taking' bits are we talking sugar salt etc ?if i bought a cup of tea i would take the sugar with me because i didnt have it in the tea....or take my sauce sachet home if i hadnt used it...id be all:o if i was helping myself to loads of bits iyswim....its interesting that bits go in the bin if a customer has taken hem to the table...thats a terrible waste
    onwards and upwards
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    I take some of the free advertiser newspapers from Mr T to save buying firelighters :o
  • Hawthorn
    Hawthorn Posts: 1,241 Forumite
    Options
    Ok, confession. I pick up elastic bands. I do.

The posties in this area use bright red ones......and they just drop them on the floor. So, I'm anti littering and saving cash as well. I may just have a ball for the kids in summer if I keep going too :D
    Proud to be dealing with my debts :T

Don't throw away food challenge started 30/10/11 £4.45 wasted.

Storecard balance -[STRIKE] £786.60[/STRIKE] £708
  • Jasper27_2
    Options
    Hawthorn I do this too! I've been told the postie just throws them away as they are biodegradable. I just give them a quick wash and they have many uses around the house.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    LOL!! My Dad & my youngest son do this too :D There's always some red elastic bands knocking around the house somewhere.

A little thing I do (not particularly money saving) is to be sure that every baked bean is out of the can. I've always had a thing about them being lonely & not fulfilling their beany destiny to be eaten if they're left in the can :rotfl: My dh finds this hysterical btw!
  • donna73
    donna73 Posts: 540 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i keep seeing those red elastic bands dropped on the pavement, i'm dying to pick them up but have resisted so far incase anyones watching and thinks i've completely lost the plot :) maybe i should sneak out after dark! lol
    Word for 2023 …PROACTIVE 🧡 2023 -decluttering campaign 1020/2023 ⭐️⭐️Saving towards paying off car in November…£720/£1500 🚗
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    how would you see them?! I just ask the postie for some and I always get a handful...
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure