PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who mentioned using old margarine tubs for freezing. With canned toms now at 38p in Mr T, I've saved 6 marge tubs so far and hope to have a few dozen come summer for freezing the tomato crop.

After using the spread I put the tub and lid in a corner of the (full!) dishwasher to clean them thoroughly.

I'm just planning the weekly shop and have spent 30 mins on mysupermarket sorting out a split shop between Mr T and Mr A, only 1/4 mile apart. Pleased as punch on savings like 96p on demerara sugar and 13p on icing sugar at Mr A, and 68p* on dog food at Mr T. Total saving on shop over £12 :) and considering the offers online helps to avoid impulse buys as well as making sure you dont miss out on good deals.

*even cheaper at Sainsburys but thats too far to drive :(
  • bellybabe_2
    Options
    OddjobKIA wrote: »
    beacuse it needed saying twice

Two for the price of one, eh, OddjobKIA? Bargain! ;)
    I like the cow tip. I need a bigger fridge.
    BB
  • Shindig
    Shindig Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Always do this. Good tip.

I use 2 eco drying balls in my washing machine, and use a 1/4 of the powder.
    Kay_Peel wrote: »
    I switch off the oven for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking time.
  • Lois_and_CK
    Options
    I can beat the 2 cups of tea with 1 teabag... I get 3 cups of tea out of 1 bag :rolleyes: I make a cup of tea, then put the used bag in a flask and fill the flask with the rest of the boiling water from the kettle. This gives me another 2 decent-strength cups of tea later in the day because the bag well and truly stews in this time! Also means I only boil the kettle once instead of 3 times. My husband says I'm turning into scrooge :p

I also use pitrok deoderant, but have only had mine for 3 weeks so can't tell you how long it lasts for... it's not gone down at all yet though.

Some great tips on this thread - thanks everyone. I'm making liquid soap later :T
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks for the link to EagerLearner's blog... found the HM beauty products very interesting, although when OH found me scrubbing my face last night with a mix of oats, honey and milk, said it looked like I'd been sick :o He thinks I'm a bit mad anyway so didn't comment when I told him what I was doing ;) Skin ended up nice and soft though.
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    niksyg wrote: »
    Brilliant idea!! FairyElephant, you're a blummin genius!! :-)

Thank you! - I'd love to bask in your admiration, but TBH I think it was a tip I picked up from someone on here a few years back now.

SNOW TIPS: Use a sweeping brush to (carefully - mind the paintwork!) clear the snow off your car - remember to clear the roof as well or when you stop you can get a mini-avalanche across your windscreen!
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • DdraigGoch
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder about brushing the snow off the car, FE. I winced as I saw my DH scraping the snow off ..... until I realised he was taking off the excess then using the brush I'd given him - ah, bless!

Another thing I find handy to remember is to check the mirrors are clear and that the door seals are thawed out .... I've ripped a door seal in Winter before, and it's VERY expensive [and very necessary] to have it replaced. A bit of warm water, mixed with a shoosh of Stardrops works wonders on both!
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!! :D
  • bumblebeeandboy
    Options
    "I also use pitrok deoderant, but have only had mine for 3 weeks so can't tell you how long it lasts for... it's not gone down at all yet though. "

I've had mine 17mths and i'm still got about 1/3 left. Would have had more but dropped it in the sink and the top layer smashed off. I use it everyday without , i put a lot on in the summer just in case and not had any problems. I give it a rinse every so often to ensure it stays clean. I think it's great far better for my pocket and even better for my body. I bought mine in boots, i bought the spray version first as it's cheaper (£4 ish) but that only lasted about a month but at least i knew it worked. I then bought the more espensive crystal stick for approx £7 that seems to be going on forever.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Made a rare 'compare' foray into Netto yesterday - feel angry about Mr T's outrageously upped prices+lowered quantities on the back of axed Value F&V produce(not to mention near-extinction of incentive points) - and was delighted by net of 3 garlic(Spain, not China)-38p and saw Stardrops, 65p, for the first time ever. The name triggered memories of ms posts, hence my arrival here on this Thread. I'd never heard of it beforehand.

One of my tips must be well-known(I've posted it on ebay board I'm sure) -
    take the bubble plastic from F&V boxes for packaging.

Related -I use any abandoned or faulty swatches of transparent produce bags for all microwaving, freezing, food bags. Clingfilm is rarely necessary(save big bits from other packaging). Mr T's dispensers often murder complete hundreds of these bags and they are slung.

Sheepish moment - eye taken by Palandri Estate 2005 ros!(WA-significant for me)@ £2.99 the Bot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unreal - bought four.

WA wines are less easily found and much more expensive than those of SA and SEA, so this was a great find.

Palandri are rated makers.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A tip from my Mummy:D She's helped me many times over the years to make curtains and such like. She has suggested that it's best to wash the fabric first so that any natural shrinkage occurs before making them up. This then should hopefully avoid your curtains shrinking when you do come to wash them thereby saving you the cost of having to purchase more!!
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure