PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• marri_lou
    marri_lou Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you!
    Feb GC £41.23/£90 :o
    Debt £0/£2140 (everything bar the mortgage). 16th Month 0% interest, ends May 2009.Mortgage - £54000
    Competitions won: Gu Chocolates (Jan n/r)
  • Mellika
    Mellika Posts: 506 Forumite
    Options
    freedom2b wrote: »
    Vinegar works well on bruises too!
    Also good for bug bites and stings. When it really itches, just dab with cotton wool soaked in vinegar... instant relief!
    GC March Wk1 £28.72/£30 Wk2 £28.4/£29
    "Life is too short to float Coke cans..."
    Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or do without!
    :jSealed Pot Challenge Member No.644 (Mar4-Dec1):j
    100 Day Challenge: 13/100 (Mar4-Jun9)
  • exlibris
    exlibris Posts: 696 Forumite
    Options
    squelchy69 wrote: »
    I never use just one shelf of the oven. If the oven is going on I make sure its packed out. If its lasagne for tea, I'll cook chicken for tomorrow. I squash in as much as I possibly can so the oven is only used once. Not sure how much gas it actually saves but I feel better for doing it it!

Great tips on here BTW.

Jo x

If you have a gas oven you can also put a casserole dish of fruit on the base to 'stew'. I often !!!!! some plums with a fork, put in the dish with a little water, sprinkle sugar on top and leave till needed for the pudding part of the meal. My timing is deliberately vague as different ovens heat at the base differently, Wouldn't like to try this with anything that need fairly accurate cooking like biscuits or buns!
  • skint_taffy
    Options
    thankyou purplevamp for link to eager learner's blog i made the washing up liquid recipe i also added about 1" of bought washing up liquid to it and it works a treat will save me loads cheers
  • suepernan
    Options
    Great tips for dishing up freezer portions first - have had a few mishaps in the past with unlabelled packages in the freezer so now I keep a roll of decorators masking tape in the kitchen drawer. So easy just to rip off a piece, stick it onto package (freezer bag, old yoghurt pot, margarine tub, etc) and write contents on with marker pen or ball point - watch out for felt tip as it can smudge in the freezer if bits of ice get on and start to melt when you have the door/lid open.
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    To save using cling film on something that's going in the fridge - put a plate over the top of your dish.

I also have a couple of random Pyrex casserole lids/glass plates for putting over the top of things that are going in the microwave.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    suepernan wrote: »
    Great tips for dishing up freezer portions first - have had a few mishaps in the past with unlabelled packages in the freezer so now I keep a roll of decorators masking tape in the kitchen drawer. So easy just to rip off a piece, stick it onto package (freezer bag, old yoghurt pot, margarine tub, etc) and write contents on with marker pen or ball point - watch out for felt tip as it can smudge in the freezer if bits of ice get on and start to melt when you have the door/lid open.

This works with sellotape too, and a sharpie pen (for marking the kids school clothes) doesn't run in the freezer. I can never find freezer labels anywhere except Lakeland and the ordinary ones don't stick at low temperatures
  • niksyg
    niksyg Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    It's really easy, as long as you use a good recipe and follow it properly. The only part that you have to be careful is the adding liquid content.

I've used this recipe over and over, it's the simplest one I've found, and works well. (No, I'm not in anyway associated to this website, apart from spending lots of my money on it!).

There are lots of videos on YouTube showing you how to make it as well, which helped me understand it better as I am more of a visual person.

Hope you have fun :)
    Thanks for the inspiration...all my Birthday presents, and probably Christmas sorted!! I'll have to have a few practice runs first, knowing my luck it'll go horribly wrong to begin with.

pink_numbers,what a star you are!
    Clearing debt to save for a simple wedding.
    Starting 2016 With debt of £7700
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    labels on frozen stuff - anything dry/whole thats going in a pot/bag (say breadcrumbs or sliced apple), I just have a scrap of white paper and write in biro and pop it in (so even if I accidentally cook the paper, it should just disintegrate:cool:lol )

Today I got the sewing machine out and converted an old toddler fake 'cow print' fur coat into: A cushion cover, where the coat buttons now fasten the cushion cover, for my 8 year old DD; and a hat/bonnet from the hood (which has ears!) and mittens (from the sleeves) for my 3 year old DD. The scraps have been chopped up and saved and will be used in stuffing for something else.
    I also converted a toddlers strappy summer dress into a vest for my 8 year old DD, by simply sewing the two flared edges into two straight edges. A 30 second job and a funky 'new' vest for DD!

Sewing is bargainous.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
  • beautiful_ravens
    Options
    BTW heres some interesting info about fat and ashes, AKA soap -
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Soap-Fatty-Acids-and-Plant-Ashes--Who-Thought-of-That
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport