PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• freebiequennie
    Options
    Grated carrot is good I agree, it disappears into the mince and no-one seems to notice!
    You can also add red lentils (but takes a bit longer to cook so that they go soft enough) and/or porridge oats! The oats are great as they really bulk it out and don't affect the flavour - but make sure you add plenty of extra liquid!

I used to chop carrots in to mince but since coming on this board i grated 5 carrots and sued a handful of oats and husband said it was great and not some vegetably like before- obv he doesnt know what went in.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Did you know you can clean the glass of a woodburner/stove with ash? Mix ashes into a paste iwth water, rub over the glass, and rinse off with a wet cloth. Cheap and effective.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Options
    Baby oil is a fabbo cleaner too, soap scum off baths, stainless steel, leather, and great at removing stuck on grub such as paint, sticking plaster bits and the like.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I used to chop carrots in to mince but since coming on this board i grated 5 carrots and sued a handful of oats and husband said it was great and not some vegetably like before- obv he doesnt know what went in.
    Why did you sue them? What did they do to you?? :rotfl: (sorry, couldn't resist) I do this, first time I forgot to add extra liquid, oops.

Anyhoo, I use Astonish paste for most of my cleaning jobs. A tub from £Land lasts for so long as a teeny bit goes a long way. I use it for cleaning the bath, oven, sink, great for grouting with a wet used toothbrush for scrubbing, taps, it even gets out felt tip pen and hair dye from hands and other body parts :D
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039 Now: £91,758.85 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £150 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £93.18 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Baby oil is a fabbo cleaner too, soap scum off baths, stainless steel, leather, and great at removing stuck on grub such as paint, sticking plaster bits and the like.

I agree. I once had to use oil to get the grime off the top of some kitchen cupboards. It was so deep that detergent, bleach and pan scrubbers couldn't shift it. I think the oil dissolved it and then I wiped the oil off with a damp cloth.
  • daska
    daska Posts: 6,212 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    using oats is a great way of bulking out stews but it really comes into it's own if you use a slow cooker because they mop up the liquid which would normally evaporate from your onions etc.
    Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants - Michael Pollan
    48 down, 22 to go
    Low carb, low oxalate Primal + dairy
    From size 24 to 16 and now stuck...
  • Sujamjen
    Sujamjen Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. I once had to use oil to get the grime off the top of some kitchen cupboards. It was so deep that detergent, bleach and pan scrubbers couldn't shift it. I think the oil dissolved it and then I wiped the oil off with a damp cloth.

Mmm, I wonder would baby oil get rid of that horrible permanent 'foggy' film on the glass windows of wood/fuel burning stoves or would the residual oil film just burn when the fire was lit? (Could wash it off after I suppose).

I've tried all the usual remedies (ash, Astonish etc) even used the proper cleaning acid but to no avail. What do you experts think?

ps What is in baby oil that makes it so good?
  • freedom2b
    Options
    You know how women are exploited with face creams etc... Well I`ve been using body lotion on my face too, works really well is very cheap and my skins never been better..Don`t buy seperate creams unless of course your skins too sensitive...;)
    The Grass may look greener :o but it`s always going to take just as much mowing ;)
  • freedom2b
    Options
    Talking of baby oil...Amazing insect repellent,better than expensive ones with nasty chemicals is baby oil mixed with vinegar! decant in a old spray bottle or give it a good shake works really well against mossies, a little pungent but better than getting bitten. Vinegar works well on bruises too!
    The Grass may look greener :o but it`s always going to take just as much mowing ;)
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    vinegar is also good for smelly feet apparently! Dab some onto cotton wool and wipe over your feet (after giving them a good wash), then rinse in cool water and pat them dry.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure