PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• red_devil
    red_devil Posts: 10,793 Forumite
    Options
    we havent got wilkos.

They used to do them in savers for £1.99 a tin they have stopped stocking them altogether now. Best buy i ever had.
    :footie:
  • kerik4
    kerik4 Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    karren wrote: »
    slimfast buy one get one free in wilks, its worth a go as 12 meals in a tin so 24 meals for £4.15.
    also reduced in Lloyds Chemist at the moment (thought they were bogof in store but website showing reductions)
  • Gaia
    Gaia Posts: 446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Also see here for slimfast breakfast:
    http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/slim-fast---new-breakfast---3-meals---153g-1011-p.asp
    Slim Fast - New Breakfast - 3 Meals - 153g
    £1.00 per box or 2 for £1.50. (RRP £1.59)
    Slim Fast - New Breakfast - 3 Meals .
    Raisins & Almond Crunch Cereal. 153g.
    Best Before 04/2009.

In fact the whole website:
    http://www.approvedfood.co.uk/
    is great for moneysaving shopping, see here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1282695
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." Anon.
  • amethystcash
    Options
    I got given lots of Molton Brown goodies one Christmas (about 5 years ago I think) and since then I've refilled the bottles with cheap shower gel, hand lotion, shampoo and conditioner. They're out on the bath and the sink and everyone that comes to the house thinks you've got Molton Brown products, when you know you've not wasted all that money on the expensive stuff. just the other day a friend of my Mum's said "You're so lucky to be able to afford Molton Brown" - I didn't have the heart to confess!
    MFW Challenge (Tgt Date Nov 07): ACHIEVED FEB 07!
    Mthly Savings (Tgt 60% of Inc): Average 41.67% (but we have just paid for a new kitchen!)
    Savings Goal £500k (Target Date 50th B'Day Nov 17): 30.41%
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got given lots of Molton Brown goodies one Christmas (about 5 years ago I think) and since then I've refilled the bottles with cheap shower gel, hand lotion, shampoo and conditioner. They're out on the bath and the sink and everyone that comes to the house thinks you've got Molton Brown products, when you know you've not wasted all that money on the expensive stuff. just the other day a friend of my Mum's said "You're so lucky to be able to afford Molton Brown" - I didn't have the heart to confess!

I love the Molton Brown Naran Ji liquid soap and then found the Bayliss and Harding sweet mandarin and grapefruit hand wash (1.79 semi-chem) is almost the same so guess what I use?
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As I am always trying to fill the oven properly when I bake I'd done a double batch of weetabix cakes and some digestive biscuits. However, had a bit of biscuit dough leftover that wouldn't fit on the tray. Rather than putting them in after the main baking was done I used a clean foil tray from a quiche for the last few biccies so that I could still cook everything together
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • wizk1
    wizk1 Posts: 911 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whenever I do a Sunday roast chicken, I always boil up the bones with a couple of carrots, some celery and an onion, as well as the scrags of meat left on the carcass and manage to make enough chicken soup to fill 5 tubs. I freeze them and take one in to work with me during the week. Who says there's no such thing as a free lunch? lol
  • redmandarin
    Options
    Thanks for this thread, the tips are great! Not sure if this has been posted before - I've only managed to read 22 pages so far!

I don't use stick glue very often and it is very annoying (and such a waste) to have to throw a part used one away because it has gone hard and rubbery! I was wondering how I could revitalise an old one and examined the container, whereupon I noticed the word "washable" (which I took to mean to water soluble)!

So I applied a couple of drops of water to the top of the stick and rubbed it with a child's paint brush. Then I just applied the glue, as necessary, with the paint brush! It works a treat and the glue lasts until the container is empty! :D

You can do it with cheaper versions of Pritt too - and if you don't have a brush, then a wetted finger works just as well! ;)
  • SomethingWitty_2
    Options
    Ooh some good tips here!

I always add a little bit of soya mince or chickpeas or carrot to mince based dishes, gf would never, ever notice or complain! (if she saw me, suddenly she would notice the diff in taste :o but she's still a very good OSer otherwise!)

I recently switced to using cheapo deos, and using much less. However, no matter how much flirting with cheaper razors and shave gels I am struggling to switch down to lower priced stuff! The nearest thing i've found is to buy the 67p shaving oil from wilkos and use it as a "base" for a cheap shave gel (any will do)

Coffee - i like "good" coffee - so supermarket own label "gold" brand for me, but mixed in with something cheap. Also with coffee powdered milk is fine. Gf used to pull this trick on me without telling me but i'm in on the act now too!

"oh we must buy the good thick washing up liquid!" say gf's housemates. So 14p of cheapo stuff decanted into the original bottle does the trick- they just think it's diluted so use loads more, but for 14p for 500ml they can use as much as they like!

When i think of more i'll say so!
  • FairyElephant_2
    Options
    I always add a little bit of soya mince or chickpeas or carrot to mince based dishes, gf would never, ever notice or complain! (if she saw me, suddenly she would notice the diff in taste :o but she's still a very good OSer otherwise!)!

Grated carrot is good I agree, it disappears into the mince and no-one seems to notice!
    You can also add red lentils (but takes a bit longer to cook so that they go soft enough) and/or porridge oats! The oats are great as they really bulk it out and don't affect the flavour - but make sure you add plenty of extra liquid!
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure