PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Options

Comments

• bank_of_slate
    bank_of_slate Posts: 12,922 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    wtg, Linda! You teach him, girl!!

I'm 'getting there' with my OH. He learned very quickly about whoopsies! Also taught him not to go out with any specific 'treat' in mind - but to just look and see what's on offer and make do with that instead :D.

He's also been told that HomeBargains and B&M Bargains should be thoroughly searched before he even thinks of setting foot in Asda.

The other thing he has now learned is to always look to the bottom shelves for price reductions/rollbacks :D.

I use home bargains quite a lot too, you can snap up some really good offers there, lots of named brands too!
    My hubby won't go near the place, he's such a shop snob.

I LOVE Matalan clothes too and they wash and iron very well, the t-shirts don't twist out of shape at all.
    ...Linda xx
    It's easy to give in to that negative voice that chants "cant do it" BUT we lift each other up.
    We dont count all the runners ahead of us & feel intimidated.
    Instead we look back proudly at our journey, our personal struggle & determination & remember that there are those that never even attempt to reach the starting line.
  • Olliegami
    Olliegami Posts: 414 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use a shot glass to measure out the washing powder ^^;
  • chinagirl
    chinagirl Posts: 875 Forumite
    Options
    huxley wrote: »
    Loving this thread lots of good ideas:j Also when veg is starting to look a bit tired (carrots, courgette,onion, toms anything realy) roast it in the bottom of the oven when cooking something else drizzled in a little oil then blitz it in the food processor add a drop of hot sauce and have a great dip for value tortillas, freezes well and great for hungry teenagers who avoid veg!

What a Great Idea. I shall be trying that one out on my anti-veg teens.:j
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Options
    Olliegami wrote: »

One of my first freebies from the freebie board, was a washing powder measuring cup. I immediately realised that I'd been using way-too-much of the darn stuff for years.

Then, I read on one of the threads on here about being able to reduce that amount even more and add soda crystals (if necessary) to improve things even further. Haven't looked back since :D.
  • trinity_bleu
    Options
    Aril wrote: »
    The supermarket constantly put the unit price per kg on one item and then per 100g on another similar product...they are assuming that people can't/won't do the maths to work out the best value one. Before I passed my Maths exam a couple of years ago I was one of those shoppers :o:o
    I've also noticed that on a weekly basis the supermarket will swap between the bigger tin being the better value or two smaller ones [presumably working on the assumption that people won't go back and recheck] For some reason syrup is one of them so do recheck every time you stock up.
    Aril

to avoid this, I use mysupermarket.co.uk - they work everything out in £ per 100g (or whatever is most appropriate) so you can really easily make sure you're getting the best value size. I've been caught out a number of times thinking the bigger size is cheaper when it isn't.

Even if you don't want to pay for having the shopping delivered, you can do your shop online, print the list and go in person.
  • p00
    p00 Posts: 824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moisturiser - I buy Aqueous cream, over the chemist counter (although its sometimes on the shelf in a small tube). Aqueous cream is an emollient, a bit like E45, and Ive been using it for years as I have super dry skin, its suitable for children and the elderly. I used to get it on prescription to help my eczema, but its so cheap I dont mind paying for it 3 times a year.

I always water down the cream. A big 500g tub costs up to £2, and you can water down probably up to 50/50 for a runny cream, like a vaseline intensive care consistency, or leave it a bit thicker. It goes a long way, and you can also add baby oil and stir in to make it slightly oilier, as well as a scented essential oil if preferred. You can also use it as a soap for washing skin. It is lanolin free.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/emollients/Pages/Introduction.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/100000160.html

If you have a Home Bargains near you this cream is 99p a big tub.

xxp00
  • trinity_bleu
    Options
    purplevamp wrote: »
    years ago cadbury mini rolls were doing free rigid plastic boxes to put your mini roll in.

I miss those - we used them to take cotton buds on holiday ! Perfect size ...
  • Patchwork_Quilt
    Options
    Olliegami wrote: »

I've been using a coffee cup (one of those really tiny ones) to measure out dry rice for years. It works out at one heaped cup per person.
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,565 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Evening all -
    I just posted this on another Thread, but thought you may like to read it here, too:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5689628.ece
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• beautiful_ravens
    Options
    Heres one - if you're having a bonfire in the garden, dig down and use the hot coals to roast a chicken/bird and some spuds, oiled and well wrapped in foil. I did this when we had our last bonfire, it was fun! And tasty :)
    I tried sausages, but forgot about them and they turned to charcoal sticks hehehehe!
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport