PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks for that chicken liver pate recipe, weelz. Just what I was looking for. :D

I'm intrigued by the $45 emergency menu and have printed it off to ponder. May fancy trying this in part if not whole. :rolleyes:
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 - this thread is great, just found it by accident as I'm new to all of this and only just joined the GC in March, trying again for April and have just copied your recipe for Pate - we all love pate so shall definitely be giving that a try. Can't believe all the tips I have picked up from this site in just a few months, everyone is so helpful, thanks again.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• getting-sorted-sarah
    Options
    Hi Weezl, found you at last, this thread has been a very interesting read so far!

The USA OS lady was called iremembersleep, and she sounded very whole foods-y. I wonder where she went?!
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Back again with our other sandwich filler, the lentil pate:

150g red lentils 11p
    ¾ pt water or vegetable stock left over from last time you boiled or steamed any veg
    2 medium onions 8p
    3 cloves garlic 9p
    2 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil 11p
    3 tsp dried mixed herbs 5p
    2 slices whole wheat bread crumbs 2p
    1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste (may sub regular salt) 1p
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, to taste 1p
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar 2p

Prices from asda total-50p, made approx 25-30 sandwiches last time I did it, so about 2p per sandwich, no need for butter.:money:

Wash lentils, drain, and place in a saucepan.
    Add the water or stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
    Chop the onions and the garlic very finely.
    In a large frying pan, heat the oil.
    Add the garlic, onions, and herbs and saute over medium heat, stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until the onions and garlic are brown.
    When the lentils are done, stir them thoroughly to mash, add the onion mixture.
    Season to taste with sea salt, vinegar, and pepper.
    Spread on HM bread.
    Enjoy!:j
    We both have lunch for approx 10-15p a day, which is a sarnie and some HM cinnamon shortbread at the mo!;)
    Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Weelz did I read that you make up your pate sandwiches and then freeze them made?

Love all these recipes! Thank you for taking the time. ;)
    Made your hummous recipe from the GC thread and it was great altho I overdid the garlic I think. :o Who'd have thought that it was so easy and cheap to make. I'll never buy it again.

Wish I'd thought to bulk cook the chickpeas, tho. Clot that I am, I only did 100g.... didn't think of the fuel saving by cooking a load and freezing for different uses. :rolleyes:
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm finding this thread interesting too. My dd is now vegi, so will test the lentil pate on her. Actually, might have it as a change from hummus. Have some of my large mushroom haul left, so could mix this in as well.
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Weelz did I read that you make up your pate sandwiches and then freeze them made?

Love all these recipes! Thank you for taking the time. ;)
    Made your hummous recipe from the GC thread and it was great altho I overdid the garlic I think. :o Who'd have thought that it was so easy and cheap to make. I'll never buy it again.

Wish I'd thought to bulk cook the chickpeas, tho. Clot that I am, I only did 100g.... didn't think of the fuel saving by cooking a load and freezing for different uses. :rolleyes:

I always do this with my pulses Cheerfulness. THen I use the cheapest thin plastic bags and divide into 250g units. I think this is approximately 1 400g can after it has been drained. They all go into a carrier bag in the freezer. I keep an eye on what needs doing next. If I need in a hurry, I just put some boiling water over them and they're ready for use.

Editing..... also cook in the pressure cooker for maximum economy and not having to hang around near the cooker checking them for 'doneness' .
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • Bella08
    Bella08 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    I've never posted on the OS forum before but I have been reading it for weeks now and I just had to post to say thank you for starting this thread, I will be following it very closely! The recipes you've put on here so far sound lovely (especially the sun dried tomato bread!), I'm itching to try making them all at the weekend and freezing the pate for sandwiches, OH loves pate and can get through quite a lot in a day with lunch sandwiches then crackers before or after dinner at night, so this can be quite an expense for us and I'd never thought to make it from scratch!

Thank you for the ideas! :T
  • Bella08
    Bella08 Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    I think I will post this recipe now! My house is filled with the fresh bread, rosemary and tomato scent as I type this:

590g plain white flour - 15p
    approx 220ml of just boiled water- free
    20 sun dried tomato halves (making 10 portions of your 5 a day)- i paid 1.20 on the farmers market
    2 tsp sugar -1p
    2 tsp salt - 1p
    Fresh rosemary from the garden -free
    fresh yeast (approx 9g, but I think I could've used less!)- free from asda bakery

Makes 2 loaves in 2lb loaf tins and enough spare for two fat bread sticks.

Pour just boiled water on the dried tomatoes to rehydrate and plump them. After 15 mins ish, add the yeast and sugar to activate the yeast. chop the rosemary into little pieces and add to the tomato liquid.

Mix all the above into the flour and salt, and knead for about 5-10 mins or until your arm aches!

Divide into 2 loaf tins and 2 bread sticks.

Allow to rise, covered, in a warm place until dough peeks above the top of the tins.

Bake for 25 mins at GM6.

Lush!

And 3 slices is one portion of our 5 a day: price per loaf 63p and a few pence for delicious bread sticks...

Weezl x

I just wanted to check something before I jump in head first, is this really all the water I need for this amount of flour? I've always gone by the rule of 350ml to every 500g of flour. Does this one come out as a soft bread or a crusty bread?
  • weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    Bella08 wrote: »
    I just wanted to check something before I jump in head first, is this really all the water I need for this amount of flour? I've always gone by the rule of 350ml to every 500g of flour. Does this one come out as a soft bread or a crusty bread?
    Hi Bella,

That's how much I used, but some sun dried tomatoes are 'wetter' than others, and flour can vary in how 'thirsty' it is, so I'd say aim for a dough that's soft and moistish, but that comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl as you work it a few times. If not, add a splash more!

I'm flattered you're trying it, do pop back to post how you got on.:T

Thanks for all the supportive comments and questions, it inspires me to keep telling you all how my mad little challenge is going...

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family