PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    ok so I took hillbilly housewife's $45 emergency food for a week shopping list ;)

and then shopped for all her ingredients at asda using mysupermarket.co.uk. She did hers in Feb of 2006, but what she got for $45.16 I got for £43.74 with me buying the cheapest brand level available of everything. :eek:

So I think this experiment confirms Jordylass's suspicions that $70 of food there is more like £70 of food here, rather than £35 ish, which is it's sterling equivalent.

Interesting stuff...

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • weezl74
    how interesting, thanks ceridwen, that seems to contradict the uk article saying no-one got more than $3 a day talking about:

'the destitute mother of three children, who currently has $518 monthly in food benefits'...

The plot thickens. As doeas the average American's waistline!:D

TTFN

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    well....I guess we could always ask the American Embassy to help out a bit on this front.

I've tried googling for the U.S. equivalent of buying from Tesco online, without any success. I found Walmart site - but couldnt find any food prices. I've also just googled for U.S. food prices - again no luck.

Thats as far as I got so far.
  • MrsBartolozzi
    MrsBartolozzi Posts: 6,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi,
    I have found a site which will, hopefully, give you an idea of food costs in the US.
    If you click on this,
    http://couponing.about.com/od/groceryzone/qt/mgd_ny.htm
    You don't have to join, just find a zip code for the area of the states you are interested in eg:10027 which is in NY and you get a llist of, amongst other things, local shops' flyers. This is a big site and I have only seen a bit of it, but I thought it might help?

MrsB.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • scrimperjan
    scrimperjan Posts: 223 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great thread Weezl, I'd fallen off the OS wagon a bit but I think this will get me back on track! I love an extreme challenge - especially a healthy one!
  • jordylass
    jordylass Posts: 1,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ceridwen, now you've pointed it out, I realise I haven't ever seen grocery delivery advertised there.
    Next time I go I'm going to use the Hillbilly $70, a great way to cook for a limited time on a limited budget, and make sure you have absolutely everything you need.
    We should make one up for the UK and we can point newcomers to it when they ask how to get started with cooking old style.
    There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    I love pate and would like your recipes for both the lentil pate and the chicken liver pate.
    How much do they tend to cost you? (Obviously not much because you are frugal mcdougall!)
    Would love to at least get mine and the kids lunches made and frozen in advance but feel I would struggle with freezer space. Might try a month at a time though.
    I was able to make brownies and carrot/parsnip cake to last (hopefully) the month yesterday while the jackets were in. I have frozen them too so I can't eat them all in one day like I want to!
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • weezl74
    Hi Kaz2904,

here we go. thanks for asking!:D

2 packs tesco frozen chicken livers-80p (defrost these overnight first)
    2 cloves fresh garlic/garlic powder- 8p
    salt
    black pepper
    250g butter- 85p

optional extras:

Splash of booze (red wine, white wine, ropy sherry someone got you at christmas, slug of whisky....) 22p for 50 ml white wine
    2 medium onions- 10p

fry the onions, liver, including all the 'juice' in the tub (I swill some warm water round it and add it to the pan) and garlic in the butter until browned, season with salt and pepper. Pour everything into food processor and blitz til ultra smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Pour into the (washed) tubs the liver came in, and one other tub, an old hummous sized one should do nicely.
    ;)

this would make pate for 40ish sandwiches for us, so approx 5p per sandwich.:j

back soon with the lentil one...

Weezl x

• bails
    bails Posts: 3,196 Forumite
    I'm really interested in this Weezl, just read through it all. It seems absolutely impossible for us if I'm honest but I'll definitely stick around and see what I can learn/hopefully share something useful! Can I ask is your GC solely on food? So £1.29 a day? That is so seriously impressive!! I'm going to take my pet stuff etc off and see how low I can get my GC. Thanks for this! :T
    The 1,000 Day Challenge:
    Feb 16, 2016
    500/30,000
    1.67%
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business